Burson Playmate 2 (3W, ESS9038 DAC, Pre amp, DSD512, USB-C, toslink)
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #46 of 281
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #48 of 281
@bluestorm1992 and @dosley01, curious for your thoughts with your new Playmates.
Forgot to post my impressions here. :) This was posted in Mike's IEM thread a while ago when I first got it.

Got my Burson Playmate 2 today and I am like... WOW. This thing works better than almost all the expensive DAPs I have tried. It drives both IEMs and power-hungry headphones (Diana V2) well in such a small form factor.. I am pleasantly surprised.

Its SQ is not too far behind the Hugo 2. Considering that it can very well drive the Diana V2 while the Hugo 2 is somewhat lacking behind in this aspect, the Burson Playmate 2 is a winner to me. And, it is also a lot cheaper...

The playmate 2 in the pic is the device between Hugo 2 (in black case) and its bigger brother the Composer DAC.

Attachments

• F6A662FD-94BB-4583-AF22-9EA9AE158D6D.jpeg
    F6A662FD-94BB-4583-AF22-9EA9AE158D6D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #49 of 281
@bluestorm1992 and @dosley01, curious for your thoughts with your new Playmates.
Forgot to mention, I got good performance with the stock op amps already. The classic Op Amps when mixed with Vivid Op Amps just bring it to a different level.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #52 of 281
Thanks for those impressions, much appreciated. I keep thinking the one box solution would have been so convenient. How does the Composer 3X stack up to other DACs you have tried?
I have had the SMSL M400. Ended up returning it and get the Composer 3X instead. I really like the warm and lush sound signature of the Composer, or for Burson’s products in general. The M400 on the other hand is a bit too cold and clear to me and, as some others may have put it, too neutral.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #54 of 281
This seems like it would pair perfectly with my Audeze GX. I was looking for an all in one with a remote since I play on consoles games not at a desk. I don’t know much about op amp rolling but that seems fun to get into

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #55 of 281
This seems like it would pair perfectly with my Audeze GX. I was looking for an all in one with a remote since I play on consoles games not at a desk. I don’t know much about op amp rolling but that seems fun to get into
The stock op amp works great enough for me already. :)

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #56 of 281
Another funny thing is, originally I was worried about its lack of ability for further upgrade: It does not take audio input so you cannot use it as a dedicated AMP. However, after using it as my daily driver, I find that this does not bother me at all because the playmate 2 is so compatible as a one-box solution.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #57 of 281
Another funny thing is, originally I was worried about its lack of ability for further upgrade: It does not take audio input so you cannot use it as a dedicated AMP. However, after using it as my daily driver, I find that this does not bother me at all because the playmate 2 is so compatible as a one-box solution.
That is great because that is exactly what I am looking for. One box does it all.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #58 of 281
That is great because that is exactly what I am looking for. One box does it all.
I just noticed that you may want to order the version with upgraded Op Amps to be able to get the remote with it; if you don't want to do this, maybe you can email Burson and see if they sell the remote separately at a price.

Now that I bring up the topic of Op Amps, I think I will also share how they should be installed in the Playmate 2 in case you or other people find this useful. Playmate 2 requires customers to install the upgraded Op Amps by themselves. In general, there are basically two things to pay attention to:
  • You will receive two single Op Amps and two dual Op Amps; make sure you distinguish them when installing them. To put them in the right place of the machine, see the attached pic taken from Burson's user manual.
  • There is direction to these Op Amps for them to work properly. For the upgraded Op Amps, the direction that has worked for me is as follows: For the single Op Amps, the side with a notch should be facing each other. For the dual Op Amp, the side with a notch should be facing outward.

Attachments

• Burson.jpg
    Burson.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #60 of 281
Forgot to post my impressions here. :) This was posted in Mike's IEM thread a while ago when I first got it.

Got my Burson Playmate 2 today and I am like... WOW. This thing works better than almost all the expensive DAPs I have tried. It drives both IEMs and power-hungry headphones (Diana V2) well in such a small form factor.. I am pleasantly surprised.

Its SQ is not too far behind the Hugo 2. Considering that it can very well drive the Diana V2 while the Hugo 2 is somewhat lacking behind in this aspect, the Burson Playmate 2 is a winner to me. And, it is also a lot cheaper...

The playmate 2 in the pic is the device between Hugo 2 (in black case) and its bigger brother the Composer DAC.
@bluestorm1992 I considering taking some money out of my system and selling my Hugo 2 and getting a playmate. I am really only using the Hugo 2 as a desktop solution and think the playmate 2 is really all I need. What do you think is the biggest between the two? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back