Burson PLAY: DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp/Opamp rolling platform with mic input for gaming
Jun 24, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #31 of 56
I just managed to hear Burson Play today :)

Using the default configuration, no OP-AMPs changed yet. I will get to that as well later on.

I am absolutely impressed. I mean, not just impressed, but amazed by this little device. Coming from a few other hig-end devices, like iFi iDSD Black Label Micro, Opus #2, iBasso DX200, FiiO X7mkii, I think I have enough cool stuff to compare Burson Play to :)

So, a few early thoughts.

- Excellent overall build quality

- Beautiful Design

- Big, at least compared to my computer, I have an iTX build with 1080ti and 8700K + Water cooling, so I know how to make stuff

- A reviewer noted that it gets hot, I'd say it gets kinda warm, my room temp is pretty low right now so for me it is not an issue, but if you live in a really hot area, or if it is inside a computer case, it might be a little issue (although it doesn't seem to get beyond a certain point, it never gets too hot, just warm to pretty warm so far)

- The sonic performance is heavenly. I think that it can trade serious blows with iFi iDSD Black Label Micro, which is more expensive, although iDSD can be used as a portable device, where Burson Play is a desktop-class device.

- The treble extension, man this is amazing, the treble extends way better than I expected it to, say much much better than literally any other PC built-in audio I tested, or than HIDIZS DH1000, which was playing the role of the soundcard in my system until I tested Burson Play.

- Bass is quick, really well controlled, amazing performance.

- I love the Blue LED indicator for volume level.

- Soundstage size is incredible, freaking freak this is amazing.

- Drivers EVERYTHING I Have without exception. Needs about 10% of their max power for LCD-MX4 to sound loud, imagine Burson Play can drive anything.

- The control over PRaT and ADSR (Texturization) is also incredible!!~

- Will continue testing for now :)

DgfjfJLXcAAkpoV.jpg

Dgfjfd9X4Ag-L7j.jpg

DgfjfkxWsAYFIb9.jpg

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #35 of 56
I should also be looking into the extra OP-AMPs one can get after my initial review of Burson Play . I plan on having a little article on how each influences sound,a nd on the operation of changing and replacing those

At any rate, Burson Play is still a love for me, I have it on my work desk at all times, connected to either my Speaker setup as a DAC, and also powering LCD-MX4 or Signature DXP when I work.

To be honest, the sound this thing is able to create is quite amazing for me, granted I mostly have used portable units before, but man having something desktop grade changes perspective a little on why someone would want to have something desktop grade

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #38 of 56
Not in the play but I do own both sparkos and bursons and I'd choose sparkos every time

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #39 of 56
Burson Play
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/play/

The Burson Play is quite the competent product! It only has one input, USB, and preamp outputs that can be used with a power amp or active monitors.
It's meant to be an AIO device that can be placed in a computer bay drive to integrate with your desktop in a sleek and minimalistic way.
Power is provided by an included power brick or SATA cable connection to your computer PSU. There is also a mic input on the front for a microphone for chat and online gaming. I did not try this feature.

One of the features of the Burson amps is Opamp rolling. I'm not sure which Opamps are in this particular model but assume they are the NE5532 X 3, NE5543 X 2 from the PLAY Basic option. I will try and find out.

Yup, my unit is the basic option, inside chasis:
9938424_l.jpg

So, how does it sound? In a word, correct. It doesn't do anything to draw you in or have a crazy 3D sound stage, tube bloom or enhanced attack or extended decay. It just sounds correct.
It's funny, because I'm going back and forth between my main headphone rig and the PLAY and it's very enjoyable.

9938421_l.jpg

Singxer SU-1>Yggy Analog 2/Holo Spring L1>EC Aficionado/ECP DSHA-1>PMx2, Utopia, Elex, HD650, HE-500
vs
Burson PLAY>headphones

Listening was done at ~75dB with each headphone. I'll provide volume level used for each headphone.
(A note, as I saw some people saying they used vastly higher volume numbers, I do have Windows xCORE USB Audio 2.0 at 100%)

With PMx2, the sound is very clean. Bass is extended, without bloom or added mid bass. Midrange is present and voices and instruments are placed appropriately in the mix.
The highs are well integrated and sound clear but never harsh or brittle. Imaging is very good, layering is lacking compared to Multibit DACs but is more comparable to RME ADI-2 DAC. Volume at 5.

Paired with Utopia, you get a very reference sound. Sound stage with Utopia collapses a bit but you are left with not a window but a clear opening that lets you hear the music.
It's staggeringly clear and uncolored. Bass might be a little light for some with this pairing but it is well extended and fast.
Utopia can tend to have a forward sound and the PLAY does a good job of controlling this so music doesn't become fatiguing.
I did note some very slight noise with Utopia but it is one of the most sensitive headphones out there so this shouldn't be an issue. Volume at 5.

Elex didn't fair as well with PLAY. It's certainly not a bad pairing, but it didn't have that music engagement that Utopia and PMx2 were capable of with PLAY.
Treble was the biggest issue, being slightly unrefined with a couple hot spots at 6, 9 and 12kHz (These harmonic frequencies are present in Elex, Clear and Utopia to varying degrees.).
The overall sound was listenable but you might opt for warmer op amps than the ones I had in my PLAY. Volume at 6.

HD650M, like Elex was just passable on PLAY. It presented the music in a more mid focused/forward manner, which meant both bass and high frequencies were lacking a touch.
The sound stage was clear and well presented, a nice theme is seems. My HD650 is modded, thus the “M” designation, with custom rear damping and coin mod to remove the foam in front of the drivers.
This makes them have a little less bass than stock as well as a brighter/slightly more forward sound. I think a stock HD650/HD6XX would pair well with PLAY. Volume at 8.

Listening with HE-500, I start noticing a trend. There's that mid focus again. Bass and treble take a back seat. I wonder if this is a current limiting issue?
Compared to the DSHA-1 and Aficionado, power supply size is severely lacking. This isn't a fault or criticism of PLAY, it's just a fact.
Due to the size and features Burson wanted to incorporate in PLAY, compromises had to be made. Volume at 8.

I briefly tried using the PLAY as a preamp >Vidar>speakers. As soon as I turned it on, there was noise from the USB, a hash and digital sound that is the pest of digital audio.
I have heard very few systems that didn't have some level of noise, and only a few DACs and DDC converters have true isolated inputs.

I was worried when I read that Burson chose the SABRE32/ESS9018 DAC chip as previous implementations I've heard have been bright and unmusical.
Burson has done an excellent job of tuning the PLAY around the SABRE chip. I'm sure the pure Class A topology has a lot to do with that. The Xmos USB drivers are rock solid for me.
No stuttering or drop outs even when streaming music and playing games. Unfortunately, I can't isolate the DAC from the amp, so no impressions of how the amp performs with my other DACs.
It would be fun to try some of Burson's other dedicated amps to hear that Class A sound in all of it's glory.

For the price, the Burson PLAY is hard to beat. An AIO system that can integrate into your computer, with a preamp output, and accept mic input all while having clear and fatigue free sound, that's quite the feat for $300.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #40 of 56
Well I just ordered the play from Burson's website. All I've received in a weeks time is an email saying thank you for your purchase with no way to reference the actual purchase like with an invoice number or something to that effect. I've received no shipping data. I've emailed them 3 times with no response. Has anyone else had issues with their customer service? The communication seems to be very poor.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #41 of 56
Well I just ordered the play from Burson's website. All I've received in a weeks time is an email saying thank you for your purchase with no way to reference the actual purchase like with an invoice number or something to that effect. I've received no shipping data. I've emailed them 3 times with no response. Has anyone else had issues with their customer service? The communication seems to be very poor.
They are usually great with communication. Their customer service is some of the best I’ve seen from any company as well. That aside once you get this you will love it. I had to wait 3 months because of all of the initial preorders. However it was well worth the wait. It is far superior to my STX 2.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #42 of 56
They are usually great with communication. Their customer service is some of the best I’ve seen from any company as well. That aside once you get this you will love it. I had to wait 3 months because of all of the initial preorders. However it was well worth the wait. It is far superior to my STX 2.
I had heard that was the case. Maybe I'm sending my emails to the wrong place. I've emailed info@bursonaudio.com. Is there a better place the send an email. I'm not ready to give up on them yet but being left in the dark on what is for me a rather expensive purchase - it's kind of difficult to deal with.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #43 of 56
I had heard that was the case. Maybe I'm sending my emails to the wrong place. I've emailed info@bursonaudio.com. Is there a better place the send an email. I'm not ready to give up on them yet but being left in the dark on what is for me a rather expensive purchase - it's kind of difficult to deal with.
That’s their email if they’re not back to you by early next week I would email them again.

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 56
I had the Burson Audio Play with V6 Vivid op-amps for a week now. I bought this after a 2 hours audition at Addicted To Audio with another setup - Schitt Bifrost multibit and Jotunheim. At the end of the 2 hours session, I bought the PLAY. Jot combo sounded more aggressive to me wheres the PLAY surprised me as a very enjoyable tone, with tons of details and clarity, great soundstage and a tight controlled bass. I was using Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-2f and HD800 for the audition.

Back home now I'm comparing it to my main rig, which is the Yggdrasil and Glenn Super 9 OTL amp. I'm very impressed at how the Burson Audio Play is holding up. I still prefer my main rig but this small desktop unit is quite incredible. Dynamism, clarity, soundstage and a vivid tone without the harshness and the glare is how I would describe it.

I have a modded HD650 that sounds really good on the PLAY as well. This dac/amp has my recommendation.

IMG-1803.JPG

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #45 of 56
I'm still rather enjoying the Play. It is my go-to as a LAN DAC/AMP and has never had an issue. I've recently ordered some different OPamps to fiddle a little bit. I've extensively used the Vivids and Classics but some recent OPA DIY DIP8 offerings are looking pretty attractive. For gaming, music etc the play has paired well with everything I've got so kudos to Burson for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back