Burson HA-160DS AC and USB cable upgrade ?
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #46 of 58

Aww crap I hate this place.
I just put a deposit with Partsconnexion, to be paid in full on the 30th, at my door by the 6th.
Too good of a deal on too well a reputed component. Also finally keeps me from messing about on whether or not I should go forward with the second system.... well, the Burson IS the second system now!
Quote:
Also, I am also looking to buy from partsconnexion and was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some pics of the upgraded cables they threw in.  

FYI, as of this morning he said he had 6 left, I got one, that means there are 5 remaining with them at this price with the upgrade cables and free shipping.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #48 of 58
Really ? Burson 160DS all sold out ? impressive.

One thing that I am not very impressed is the DAC section of this Burson 160DS, it's still a good amp but DAC is questionable.  Doesn't have the WOW factor but it's still reasonably good for the price you pay.

My next amp will be Woo WA22 fully balanced amp, :)

Quote:
They're all sold out and I missed out : ( They may be getting a new shipment in mid January. I ended up going with a vioelectric 200 and cambridge magic DAC instead.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #49 of 58

Quote:
Aww crap I hate this place.
I just put a deposit with Partsconnexion, to be paid in full on the 30th, at my door by the 6th.
Too good of a deal on too well a reputed component. Also finally keeps me from messing about on whether or not I should go forward with the second system.... well, the Burson IS the second system now!

FYI, as of this morning he said he had 6 left, I got one, that means there are 5 remaining with them at this price with the upgrade cables and free shipping.

Did you get 160DS ? how is your experience so far ?

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #50 of 58

Quote:
Did you get 160DS ? how is your experience so far ?

I got the D. I'm loving it so far. It sounds better being fed from my W4S DAC2, which tells me that it's a better DAC than the onboard in the Burson, as it should be. But I have no complaints at all. It's a sharp looking unit and it sounds great with the LCDs.

For the price, I don't think you can beat it. I have a LF being delivered this month, that will pair with the WFS in my living room, and the Burson will be my all in one bedside rig. I'm pretty pleased. :)

FYI He still has them, and the DS listed on Canuckaudiomart for retail price in USD, + the free cable upgrades  (DH labs power cable, USB and interconnects), along with free shipping.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #51 of 58

Quote:
I got the D. I'm loving it so far. It sounds better being fed from my W4S DAC2, which tells me that it's a better DAC than the onboard in the Burson, as it should be. But I have no complaints at all. It's a sharp looking unit and it sounds great with the LCDs.

For the price, I don't think you can beat it. I have a LF being delivered this month, that will pair with the WFS in my living room, and the Burson will be my all in one bedside rig. I'm pretty pleased. :)

FYI He still has them, and the DS listed on Canuckaudiomart for retail price in USD, + the free cable upgrades  (DH labs power cable, USB and interconnects), along with free shipping.

W4S DAC2 that is one nice DAC !, congrats !!!.
Question for you or maybe to anyone who is reading this.

I was expecting less hissing using DAC but to me it sounds the same with/without the DAC.  Or maybe just Burson DAC isn't very good. ?

Can you tell me the sonic differences in between your W4S DAC2 vs without DAC ?

Thanks !

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #53 of 58

Quote:
W4S DAC2 that is one nice DAC !, congrats !!!.
Question for you or maybe to anyone who is reading this.

I was expecting less hissing using DAC but to me it sounds the same with/without the DAC.  Or maybe just Burson DAC isn't very good. ?

Can you tell me the sonic differences in between your W4S DAC2 vs without DAC ?

Thanks !

I don't have any hissing issue with my 160D. Neither as an amp or as an amp/DAC combo.
I think the DAC is fine, really if I wasn't already familiar with the W4S, I think I wouldn't have any comments.
But,... since I do know the W4S, well head to head with the Burson? Way more open, detailed, better bass extent ion, basically a bit more of everything. For me, a more involving sound.

It's not a staggering change, maybe as far as DACs go they are leagues apart, but in general I think your source contributes the least to the chain (after cables and such).
Headphones and amps contribute the most... so, the W4S is superior, and there is an audible quality bump between the Burson DAC and the W4S but it's the same headphones and amp at play, so I find that they pretty much sound the way they sound, the W4S just makes them better, but not by leaps and bounds.

Enough to justify the price differential between just the D, and D + the DAC2...?
Since when do we give much credence to things like that on headfi?? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #54 of 58

Quote:
How does this compare to portable setups?
I have a RSA Hornet with SuperPro DAC and I am wondering if this will be a worthy upgrade.
I will be using these to drive my Ultrasone Pro 900s

So I spent few hours with these configurations, just to justify devices I've collected so far.

Configuration 1.
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> LCD2
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> Denon AH-D7000

Configuration 2.
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> Burson HA-160DS -> LCD2
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> Burson HA-160DS -> Denon AH-D7000

Configuration 3.
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> RSA SR71b SE -> LCD2
Laptop (320k, loseless) -> RSA SR71b SE -> Denon AH-D7000

Before my feedback, I have to confess that I don't really know Audiophile vocabulary that much, i.e) in your face, colorful, mellow, transparent etc, I guess I can look up the other threads for that here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary)

From above setting the one that I noticed is Denon AH-D7000 becomes totally different beast using Burson 160DS, I hear lot more bass than SR-71b, soundstage is about the same between sr71b vs burson 160ds with D7000.

As for LCD2, I don't hear much differences between 160DS vs SR71b.

If I were you I will get the better headphone instead of investing in an amp, LCD2, HD800 or T1, etc. but it's up to you.
From my experience, you will notice lot more improvement in upgrading headphone than upgrading the amp/dac.

Cheers.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #55 of 58

Quote:

I don't have any hissing issue with my 160D. Neither as an amp or as an amp/DAC combo.
I think the DAC is fine, really if I wasn't already familiar with the W4S, I think I wouldn't have any comments.
But,... since I do know the W4S, well head to head with the Burson? Way more open, detailed, better bass extent ion, basically a bit more of everything. For me, a more involving sound.

It's not a staggering change, maybe as far as DACs go they are leagues apart, but in general I think your source contributes the least to the chain (after cables and such).
Headphones and amps contribute the most... so, the W4S is superior, and there is an audible quality bump between the Burson DAC and the W4S but it's the same headphones and amp at play, so I find that they pretty much sound the way they sound, the W4S just makes them better, but not by leaps and bounds.

Enough to justify the price differential between just the D, and D + the DAC2...?
Since when do we give much credence to things like that on headfi?? 
biggrin.gif

Lucky you !, you can afford such a nice DAC, :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #56 of 58

Quote:
Lucky you !, you can afford such a nice DAC, :)

Well you have more headphones and other toys than I do, so I think we are equally lucky.
Also I bought mine used.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #57 of 58
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I've been using an HA-160DS + HD650's for quite a while now and have been very impressed with the combo.  My friend gave me his 100hr~ LCD-2's and even at 100% volume I don't get anywhere near the bass of the HD650's. Now, the LCD2's make the HD650's sound like you are listening to them through a sock - I can clearly tell the detail differences. 

Just feels like the HA160DS might not have enough juice to drive the LCD-2's as I was expecting.  Burson tech support said they use LCD2s in the office and for testing and they are a great match.  Not saying they aren't; just not getting the huge bass as I do with HD650's.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #58 of 58
  Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I've been using an HA-160DS + HD650's for quite a while now and have been very impressed with the combo.  My friend gave me his 100hr~ LCD-2's and even at 100% volume I don't get anywhere near the bass of the HD650's. Now, the LCD2's make the HD650's sound like you are listening to them through a sock - I can clearly tell the detail differences. 

Just feels like the HA160DS might not have enough juice to drive the LCD-2's as I was expecting.  Burson tech support said they use LCD2s in the office and for testing and they are a great match.  Not saying they aren't; just not getting the huge bass as I do with HD650's.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just saw your post, it's been longtime I checked this thread.
Basically from my experience Burson HA-160DS is not powerful enough to drive planar headphones.  They say soloist is 2x more powerful but I doubt it, don't think I will ever buy Burson. However my HD800 and D7000 are driven by 160DS and it's good enough.

For planar or headphones like HE6 really requires Ray's Dark Star or people say GSMKII, but I found GSMK2 extremely ug*y so I will pass on that, and waiting time is ridiculous.

By the way which LCD2 you have revision 1 or 2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back