Burson HA-160DS AC and USB cable upgrade ?
Nov 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Canadian411

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

Just got these two offers for Burson HA160-DS from local audio store here in Toronto.

[size=x-small]A.    A $90 cash discount.....to $800 and free shipping.[/size]

[size=x-small]B.    A DH LABS "double cable package" (retail value of $177), for free:[/size]
[size=x-small]            -    1.5 meter Encore AC power cord[/size]
            [size=x-small]-    1 meter USB Cable[/size]
[size=x-small]       ....for $890 + free shipping.[/size]

I never owned Burson amps so I am not sure what comes with the original package, a standard USB cable ? with AC cable ?

Can someone tell me if it worth to upgrade AC and USB cables for $90 (retail $177)?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 58
Hi, is this deal from parts connexion store really tempted by that 160ds amp/dac ,for $899.00 usd and free shipping do you know regular price im hesitating between the burson 160ds, musical fidelity m1hpa and m1dac and the music hall 25.3 amp/dac. Sorry i cant help you but maybe you can help me which one would you choose and what phones will you be using i have a pair of denon ahd-5000 . any infos would be welcomed. Thanks

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 58
Would anyone please tell me if the 25 ohms Denons are a good match for the Burson HA160D. tired of searching . Thanks for your imput. if you know of a specific thread let me know havent found anything yet. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 58

Quote:

I never owned Burson amps so I am not sure what comes with the original package, a standard USB cable ? with AC cable ?

Can someone tell me if it worth to upgrade AC and USB cables for $90 (retail $177)?

Thanks in advance.

Here's an unboxing video of the 160D, you can see what comes in the box. (I assume its pretty much the same)

When it comes to upgrade cables, i dont have much experience. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 58

Quote:
Would anyone please tell me if the 25 ohms Denons are a good match for the Burson HA160D. tired of searching . Thanks for your imput. if you know of a specific thread let me know havent found anything yet. Thanks.

HA160D has low imp output, and it will perfectly fine for low imp headphone like your Denon. I think the only problem will come from the volume pot, wherea for low imp headphone, the static volume will sound louder than in less sensitive headphone

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 58
I just bought the Burson ha160ds finally, that comes with the free cable upgrades at parts connexion in Toronto for $890.00 USD  by looking at the upgraded cables compared to stock the ac cord is huge compared to stock as for usb and coax looks like quality stuff . did not compare sound with stock cables or power cord but it  sounds great though. im using a pair of basic denons d-1001 and compared to listening with essence stx soundcard its a lot better its like i have a more expensive pair of headphones clean soundind and bass is under control. and by the way if you buy the Burson it comes with a 1 year warranty .but on page 7 of the litterature thats in the box if you  tell Burson what you think of there stuff and send a picture of your rig to them they will add an 1 year extension on your warranty for a total of 2 years. Thats good, cant wait for my Marklized AH D-5000 to get here 1 more month .

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 58
Would you mind doing a more detailed comparision of the Burson and the Essence? I'm considering going for one of these for my Ultrasones. :dt880smile:

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 58

Quote:
Thats good, cant wait for my Marklized AH D-5000 to get here 1 more month .

Heck...im also thinking on buying the D5000's soon. Let me know how it sounds with your setup. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 58
What i can tell you now is that just with the d1001 sound is pretty good its to bad i cant describe with  the language but ill try and describe the sound .lets start with what i like most the bass to me with the Burson bass is  contained  stays in its territory not flabby but goes as deep as before i guess that would be extension .Sound is balanced  and is more detailed less veiled, you know where everything is bigger soundstage also depends on the recording . in general pot is at 9 o'clock 10 is really loud . when i bought the d-5000 i chose between staxs ,senns650. grados. the bass sold me. but cant wait to get them back from lawton audio Getting markl moded and wood cups they sounded really nice before i hope it will be even better.like tighter bass at least. hoped this helped a bit .

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 58
Yeah this deal was from parts connexion in Toronto for $899 with free upgrade cables.
Did you get it ? I am still waiting for people to give me feedback if it worth to upgrade.

And by the way, I am using my Denon AH-D7000 and LCD2 with this amp/dac.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 58
I just ordered the HA-160DS from soundearphones on ebay, they accepted my offer of $860 pretty quickly, seems like a good place to buy from and you could probably get it for even less.
There anything I should know before it gets here? Any changes through burn in that I should watch for?

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 58

Quote:
I just ordered the HA-160DS from soundearphones on ebay, they accepted my offer of $860 pretty quickly, seems like a good place to buy from and you could probably get it for even less.
There anything I should know before it gets here? Any changes through burn in that I should watch for?

I've been looking for this unit. If you have any out-of-the-box impressions i would like to know. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 58
I'll let you know when it gets here, Its still at SoundEarphones last I checked. I should have it by the 14th.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 58
My out of the box impressions are quite bad I'm afraid. I was estatic when I found that SE had accidently sent the D instead of the DS, soon as I pressed play that was all over. Right channel is 19db louder than the left. Its horribly bad, and its defeaning loud on only the first click with the low impedance jack, staticy on the high. I've tried using different USB ports and messed around with the settings, but no luck. Should I be setting up an RMA right now or is there something I screwed up maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back