Burson HA-160DS AC and USB cable upgrade ?
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #31 of 58

Quote:

On your laptop set up the Burson as your default audio device.

Oh ! I didn't try that !

Thanks ! and thanks for a quick and helpful advice.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #32 of 58
I've been saving up a very long time to make my first real splash into headfi and initially bought a sennheiser hd 650 and nuforce icon hdp 1 week ago after weeks of test listening for the perfect set-up and sound signature. The HDP arrived first, but before my 650 could arrive a friend who knows my tastes extremely well told me instead of paying the ludicrous mark-ups for the 650's in canada ($520-$600) that I should consider splurging and going for the Audeze LCD 2 (no $ mark up in canada) instead. After hours of reading reviews I cannot tell you how excited I was when I put my order down (shipping in a week!).

So how does this make it to the burson thread?
Well, I was hoping that my nuforce's HDP($449) would adequately drive the Audeze's but I haven't been able to pick up any good reviews regarding the two. However, I have read MULTIPLE reviews absolutely praising the Burson 160D and DS (same AMP/DAC with subtle differences in sound signature) with the audeze lcd 2. Subsequently, i'm in the predicament where if i want to consider returning my HDP's i have to return them before i'll get a chance to try them out with the audeze's. 

So I was hoping to get some help from this community:
1) Canadian 411: What do you think of the Audeze's paired with the Burson 160, is it a relative marginal improvement over its pairing with your other amps or does it really complement these hi end cans. Also, I am also looking to buy from partsconnexion and was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some pics of the upgraded cables they threw in.
2) Any opinions on the benefit of the pre-amp/difference in sound signature due to the volume attenuation for the Burson HA 160 D vs DS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #33 of 58

Quote:
 I should consider splurging and going for the Audeze LCD 2 (no $ mark up in canada) instead. After hours of reading reviews I cannot tell you how excited I was when I put my order down (shipping in a week!).

Did you order from Audeze ? You know you can order locally here in Toronto.
But for me, back in May this year no local retail stores were selling Audeze so I ended up paying the extra shipping $75 from US to Canada.

Anyhow, Audeze is one that impresses me a lot, I still prefer LCD2 over HD800 and Grado PS1000 :)

Edit : only thing that I hate about Audeze is that this headphone is pretty heavy and uncomfortable, I often don't pass 45 minutes, with Denon, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser I can wear them all day. :)

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 58

Quote:

So I was hoping to get some help from this community:

1) Canadian 411: What do you think of the Audeze's paired with the Burson 160, is it a relative marginal improvement over its pairing with your other amps or does it really complement these hi end cans. Also, I am also looking to buy from partsconnexion and was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some pics of the upgraded cables they threw in.

I don't have another desktop amp just Burson HA-160DS but I had a chance to compare with my Emmeline SR-71B last night.

I found my Denon AH-D7000 sounds totally different with Burson HA-160DS, I didn't know Denon has such sub-bass that can be fun to listen.  With my SR71B single ended to D7K I found less, in fact much less bass but everything is sharp.

With LCD2, either I use SR71B or HA-160DS I found no differences, I should technically get more bass with Burson but maybe because I was using the balanced output from SR71B which boost the bass department.

I read that LCD2 and Burson are very good combo and married together, :)

I will get more chance to play tonight,will update you on this soon.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #35 of 58

Quote:
Did you order from Audeze ? You know you can order locally here in Toronto.

From whom? Who carries Audez'e in Toronto now?
(I have the LCD2, but have been pondering the 3, and would prefer to buy locally to save on shipping if nothing else)

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #36 of 58

Quote:
(I have the LCD2, but have been pondering the 3, and would prefer to buy locally to save on shipping if nothing else)

I talked to salerep (I think was Paul) before from fulcrumaudio.ca and they confirmed that they had Audeze LCD2 in stock.
I am not sure they have LCD3 yet, the price is the same as US for LCD2 $995.

Let me know if they sell LCD3.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #37 of 58
CanadianBacon : I posted some picture of the upgrade cables. I will try better picture tonight.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #38 of 58
This is what you get.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #39 of 58

Quote:
I talked to salerep (I think was Paul) before from fulcrumaudio.ca and they confirmed that they had Audeze LCD2 in stock.
I am not sure they have LCD3 yet, the price is the same as US for LCD2 $995.

Let me know if they sell LCD3.

Ah, I was afraid it would be Fulcrum, I have nothing against them, just no interest in buying from them.
Something about their webpage leaves me willing to pay for shipping from The States.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #40 of 58

Quote:
Ah, I was afraid it would be Fulcrum, I have nothing against them, just no interest in buying from them.
Something about their webpage leaves me willing to pay for shipping from The States.

Oh really ? I didn't know that, I didn't buy anything from them so I wasn't paying attention.
Well, since Fulcrum wants us to pay the shipping then it will be complete turn off.

In fact, Audeze is made in US, so we (Canadian) don't pay duty fees, just the appropriate taxes. :)

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #41 of 58

Quote:
Oh really ? I didn't know that, I didn't buy anything from them so I wasn't paying attention.
Well, since Fulcrum wants us to pay the shipping then it will be complete turn off.

In fact, Audeze is made in US, so we (Canadian) don't pay duty fees, just the appropriate taxes. :)

Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, the duties equal HST in almost all cases, so it's a wash, and I live and work up here, but I'm pure Yankee and then some :).

Seriously, they are authorized, surely on the level, and one might even save a few dollars since no currency conversion takes place and the shipping ought to be less coming from within Canada, it's just that I just receive a bad impression from web pages like theirs. Not maintained or updated, poor template etc.
Anyways, if I go for it, I'll probably just buy from Headroom again, or try Moon or ALO.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #42 of 58

Quote:
Well, the duties equal HST in almost all cases, so it's a wash, and I live and work up here, but I'm pure Yankee and then some :).

Seriously, they are authorized, surely on the level, and one might even save a few dollars since no currency conversion takes place and the shipping ought to be less coming from within Canada, it's just that I just receive a bad impression from web pages like theirs. Not maintained or updated, poor template etc.
Anyways, if I go for it, I'll probably just buy from Headroom again, or try Moon or ALO.

I wish I live in US to avoid all these duties.  I remember purchasing non US made headphone (Beyerdynamic) and ended up paying HST and duty fees.
This is another reason I don't want to purchase Ultrasone Edition 8, after tax and duties it comes close to $2000+ not to include the cable upgrade. :xf_eek:

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #43 of 58
FYI, in order for Burson HA-160DS to work with USB input/output from your laptop/desktop you will need to do 2 things.

1. Select Burson as your main Audio Device
2. Winamp/Media Player you have to also set the output to Burson

then if will work like charm. :)

Happy head-fing...

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #44 of 58

Quote:
I wish I live in US to avoid all these duties.  I remember purchasing non US made headphone (Beyerdynamic) and ended up paying HST and duty fees.
This is another reason I don't want to purchase Ultrasone Edition 8, after tax and duties it comes close to $2000+ not to include the cable upgrade. :xf_eek:

It depends on your shipping method. FedEx and UPS ground are the ones with which you wind up paying duties and HST.
If it comes via air or USPS/Canada Post you only have to pay HST and shipping, just like any other Canada originating item.
You only have to learn that lesson once :).

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread.

The HD160 is on my shortlist for a bedroom rig all in one unit. I wonder how it would stack up against my W4S DAC2.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #45 of 58

Quote:

I bought mine from Fulcrumaudio.  However, Alex at Audeze just emailed me yesterday to let me know that as of last friday "Sonic Artistry" based out of King City near Richmond hill is the second dealer in Canada. Audeze has picked some random stores to be their dealers as this is a niche vinyl recording store run by an insurance broker and engineer (random yes, but they're very nice) They charge $995, but don't include shipping. 

Also thank you so much Canadian 411 for your feedback on the burson and thanks for the pics. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back