Burson Conductor Impressions thread
Jan 31, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #31 of 51
Glad to hear it! I think what really sets Burson apart from others is the PRaT. The snap of the drums, the deep and powerful bass...music just seems to come alive on this thing in a way I have only experienced on amps that are much more expensive. I ended up getting the 1793 version (i was worried about reports of brightness on the 9018 when paired with an already bright headphone), and I've been happy with it for over a year now. 

I couldn't agree more. I have the Soloist and recently bought the Schiit Mjolnir 2 with the best tubes (Reflektor 75) for that amp. I listened for about 2 weeks using various tubes and even the LISST tube modules which make it a solid state amp. While it sounded nice, I always felt something missing. My toes weren't tapping,my head not bopping. I bought this thing manly because of its reputation and power to driver any planar.

The other night, I decided to reconnect my Burson Solist and wow! Music was alive again! Authoritive bass, transparency, and sparkle. I can't believe that I ever doubted it's capabilities. True, it won't drive Hifiman he-506 to full potential but I'm sticking with Audeze headphones and it drives them easily. My Hifiman he-560s work very well with it too. Needless to say, the MJ2 is being sold and I'm stick with Bursons house sound. It's the only amp that brings my music to life and gets my head bopping and toes a tapping.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 51
I couldn't agree more. I have the Soloist and recently bought the Schiit Mjolnir 2 with the best tubes (Reflektor 75) for that amp. I listened for about 2 weeks using various tubes and even the LISST tube modules which make it a solid state amp. While it sounded nice, I always felt something missing. My toes weren't tapping,my head not bopping. I bought this thing manly because of its reputation and power to driver any planar.

The other night, I decided to reconnect my Burson Solist and wow! Music was alive again! Authoritive bass, transparency, and sparkle. I can't believe that I ever doubted it's capabilities. True, it won't drive Hifiman he-506 to full potential but I'm sticking with Audeze headphones and it drives them easily. My Hifiman he-560s work very well with it too. Needless to say, the MJ2 is being sold and I'm stick with Bursons house sound. It's the only amp that brings my music to life and gets my head bopping and toes a tapping.

Funny. I had the same experience with the Mjolnir as well. Had it for a week and I liked my Conductor better. Especially with hifimans there was no real synergy.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #33 of 51
Funny. I had the same experience with the Mjolnir as well. Had it for a week and I liked my Conductor better. Especially with hifimans there was no real synergy.

Can anyone tell me what is so special with the HifiMan and Audeze Plannar headphones?  I auditioned them on two different occasions (in particular the entire Audeze Line, and the HifiMan HE560) on a McIntosh HPA-100 Headphone Amplifier.  I found nothing special with them.  They did not do anything magical for my ears, despite the fact that I wanted to like them.

Once I switched the audition of headphones to the Grado PS1000, the Sennheiser HD800, and the Beyerdynamics T1 V2, I quickly discovered the magic with these headphones and understood what the fuss was all about.

Note I own the Burson Audio Conductor Signature Edition.  I have not tried plannars on this Headphone Amp.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 51
Can anyone tell me what is so special with the HifiMan and Audeze Plannar headphones?  I auditioned them on two different occasions (in particular the entire Audeze Line, and the HifiMan HE560) on a McIntosh HPA-100 Headphone Amplifier.  I found nothing special with them.  They did not do anything magical for my ears, despite the fact that I wanted to like them.

Once I switched the audition of headphones to the Grado PS1000, the Sennheiser HD800, and the Beyerdynamics T1 V2, I quickly discovered the magic with these headphones and understood what the fuss was all about.

Note I own the Burson Audio Conductor Signature Edition.  I have not tried plannars on this Headphone Amp.

Your new amp and Lcds will have a synergy like no other. Speaking for the Lcds, they are simply like a fine wine. An acquired taste. With enough listening, you will keep coming back to them. Organic,lush,romantic. Whatever term one chooses to use,they have it all. I dont think I could last more than an hour with the Grados or Sennheisers that you mentioned. Listening fatigue sets in. This IMO , does not happen with Lcds. You can listen all night with a smile on your face throughout the listening session. Over the years, I've heard so many headphones. Many sound great .At first. Then their shortcomings start to surface. Grain, harshness,grit, too fast sounding,whatever the case, I find myself wanting to put them down after an hour or so...max! The LCD house curve is much to my liking,just like Bursons house sound is also. My 2 cents.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #35 of 51
i had the burson soloist with my hd800's. i thought the soloist was great with a warmer dac though needed for the hd800.

i had the irdac and thought the pairing was fantastic. the irdac had lush mids, touch of warmth due to the lush mids and slightly rolled off (in a good way) highs. the combo gave a great defined bass, rich mids and detailed and nicely aired highs. and very good wide and at soundstage

after a while i got picky and wanted a little bit of a smoother sound as i started getting into my head that the highs were a touch too grainy as i got pickier, my musical tendencies/needs were evolving and i need to upgrade (geez i hate that). listening to the v200 (which didn't impress me in my single ended set up) actually triggered off me finding the soloist a little grainy

but the combo was GREAT value. (i moved onto tubes)

i personally found that the conductor with the sabre dac was too bright/harsh (but that was a quick demo).

i believe, as you've read many times i'm sure, the soloist is great for planners but for brighter HPs like the hd800, t1 and akg (q701) a warm dac really brings it together - this was also the general consensus at a local meet last year

ps the irdac (burr brown chip) as good as it is and the great value that it offers it is little limited in its overall openness so if you spend more $ you will get even better resolution

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #36 of 51

I use Senns HD800 with my Conductor and i also auditionned a pair of Audeze LCD3 with a WA22 and i didnt like them either and if i remember they seem lifeless to me 

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #38 of 51
  How much could you get these used? I am really interested in these but the price hurts a bit.

Mine 2-3 years ago was selling for $1850.00 but could be had for around $1600.00 back then i dont really know but i would think around $1000.00+ this would be for the 4WPC Conductor and ESS Sabre 9018 dac chip because if i remember correctly  the new Virtuoso come with PCM1793 on the base model and the ESS 9018 is the more expensive one but i would check on that 

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #39 of 51
How much could you get these used? I am really interested in these but the price hurts a bit.
The pricing is on the Burson audio website.

If you want both dacs (virtuoso conductor) which you can swap over whenever you want, it might be cheaper to buy the conductor with the cheaper dac (the non sabre) and then buy the sabre separately.

The virtuoso was only released about 12 months ago but you can find some in the classifieds from time to time for not much more than $1000 sometimes.

If you're just looking for the amp (soloist) the soloist sl mk 2 just got released. Price came down a bit and instead of 2w at 16 ohm it's now 2.5w. Perhaps the same will happen with the soloist (full version) ie new release and price drop soon

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #40 of 51
Your new amp and Lcds will have a synergy like no other. Speaking for the Lcds, they are simply like a fine wine. An acquired taste. With enough listening, you will keep coming back to them. Organic,lush,romantic. Whatever term one chooses to use,they have it all. I dont think I could last more than an hour with the Grados or Sennheisers that you mentioned. Listening fatigue sets in. This IMO , does not happen with Lcds. You can listen all night with a smile on your face throughout the listening session. Over the years, I've heard so many headphones. Many sound great .At first. Then their shortcomings start to surface. Grain, harshness,grit, too fast sounding,whatever the case, I find myself wanting to put them down after an hour or so...max! The LCD house curve is much to my liking,just like Bursons house sound is also. My 2 cents.

Thanks for your input HiFi59.

I find it the opposite experience - Dynamic Drive Headphones by Grado - PS1000e, GS1000e, RS1i, and the BeyerDynamic T1 Headphones I can wear for hours on end without fatigue on my Burson Conductor Signature Edition.  I auditioned the Audeze LCD line of headphones twice on a McIntosh MHA100 with long listening sessions.  I just could not find them impressive.  Although I found the Bass output definitely impressive on these headphones.  During the same listening session on the 2nd audition of the Audezes LCD line, I had tried the Grado PS1000 and found it to be a magical headphone, which I now proudly own.  I just could not go back to the Audeze LCD line after hearing the Grado PS1000.

I would like to give the Audeze LCD line of headphones another shot to see how they sound on my Burson Headphone Amp.  Both the Burson and the McIntosh Headphone Amps are of Solid State Class.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Burson Audio really makes quality headphone amps.  I am speaking from experience with my Conductor Signature Edition - it is really worth it.  The current model is now Conductor Vurtuoso, which I have not heard myself, but it adds a remote with a digital volume readout.

I don't know about the lower line of Burson Headphone Amps, but knowing this company - you will get a quality product from anything they produce.  You may want to find someone who has a Burson Headphone Amp and see if you can get an audition from someone "nearby".

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #42 of 51
I use Senns HD800 with my Conductor and i also auditionned a pair of Audeze LCD3 with a WA22 and i didnt like them either and if i remember they seem lifeless to me 

Lifeless being the key word here. That's how I felt with the Mjolnir2 and the Audezes and Hifimans. It was ok, but I knew these headphones were capable of so much more.

When I connected my Burson Soloist back up, the music once again came to life! Bass authority and airy highs
with a nice sparkle to them. When I can listen to an amp night after night that always sounds correct to my ear
I know enough to stay with that winning combo. I am officially a Burson fanboy I guess.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #44 of 51
Lifeless being the key word here. That's how I felt with the Mjolnir2 and the Audezes and Hifimans. It was ok, but I knew these headphones were capable of so much more.

When I connected my Burson Soloist back up, the music once again came to life! Bass authority and airy highs
with a nice sparkle to them. When I can listen to an amp night after night that always sounds correct to my ear
I know enough to stay with that winning combo. I am officially a Burson fanboy I guess.

How i wish you lived closer so that i could audition my burson conductor with your Audezes and Hifiman Planar headphones.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #45 of 51
How i wish you lived closer so that i could audition my burson conductor with your Audezes and Hifiman Planar headphones.

Do not doubt the synergy of this combo:yum:. After I discovered this for myself, I started reading reviews of the Burson Soloist. The reviewers tend to always have LCD-2'or 3s on hand and even they praise the synergy of this combo. If together they do not get your toes tapping or head bopping, you are not a human!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can't say the synergy exists with sennheiser 800 or not, but ever headphone that I have connected to the Burson (except the Fostex th-900 ,a bit too fast and dry) has brought out the strengths of those headphones. These include,

ZMF Omnis (simply outstanding) , all Audezes Lcds , Hifiman 400i and 560 , Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs and Oppo PM-1 and 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back