Burson Conductor Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Adamora

500+ Head-Fier
The previous thread was locked due to unfortunate reasons, but I've gotten the go ahead to revive the impressions thread by Jude!

I purchased this conductor just yesterday and I know it's been replaced by the virtouso, but by god.... I've fallen in love with it. Not one amplifier or DAC that I've purchased and used comes even close in terms of sound quality and just plain FUN.

I'll have a video review up soon!

Sound off your opinions and post pictures of your rigs!

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 51
I'm also shopping around for an amp and DAC for my LCD 2.2 (pre-Fazor), and was heavily considering the Conductor.

Have you tried other amps with the LCD 2? If so, how do they compare?

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 51
I've used the ALO Rx Mk3+ and Woo Audio WA7 with the LCD-2's and so far, the Conductor just blows them out of the water.

It's such a huge jump in quality D:!

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 51
Burson makes great products that are a delight to listen to and also a delight to look at them.

I've recently upgraded to a Burson Conductor from a Burson Conductor SL 9018, and have used also a Burson Soloist SL and a Burson HA-160D.

My Burson Conductor came with the Tenor TE8802 USB module and I've replaced with the C-Media CM6631A as a protection from future changes on Apple operating system. Tenor module require drivers for OS X, it is no longer updated by the manufacturer and you need to get into special developer mode to install the actual driver in Yosemite.

Changing the USB module is easy and gives you the opportunity to appreciate de gorgeous look of the Conductor from the inside. Good design, respecting the Burson brand philosophy avoiding the use of integrated circuits and going for discrete components instead.

This is how it looks after removing the four screws from the cover

The Tenor USB module is easily accessible after removing the DAC board, firmly attached with four more screws

You only need to remove one more screw to unplug it from the board, and loose the back a bit to get it out and insert the new C-Media CM6631A module

You can take a closer look and inspect the clean paths and perfect install of every discrete component used in the equipment. If you are enthusiast about electronics and DIY stuff, I'm sure you will appreciate that.

Here is the 24 step attenuator. It can be upgraded to a 48 steps attenuator as the ones made by polish company Khozmo.

The beautiful, completely discrete design implementation of the exquisite DAC from ESS, the SABRE32 9108 Reference DAC.

Impressive capacitors for the amp section

Double low noise power transformers

Back panel connections

And the headphone plug

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 51
O_O!

Thanks for the wonderful in depth look at the burson conductor D:

May 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 51
Agreed! Its nice to see under the hood. I own a Burson Conductor SL (1793 chip) and I love it! I've listened to a lot of other rigs, but I'm still in love with the Burson house sound. I also love the simplicity of an all in one unit and it really helps with my limited desk space. Oh yeah, and these things are built like tanks! Excellent build quality. 

May 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 51
I have the virtuoso and it's wonderful IMO. Been using the 1793 chip as I don't care for oversampling at all. The best digital I've heard has been from NOS dacs/cd players.
Build quality is superb ESPECIALLY at this price point. Would like to see what tubes do to my hd800s though. This madness never ends.

May 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 51
I have the virtuoso and it's wonderful IMO. Been using the 1793 chip as I don't care for oversampling at all. The best digital I've heard has been from NOS dacs/cd players.
Build quality is superb ESPECIALLY at this price point. Would like to see what tubes do to my hd800s though. This madness never ends.

Ive heard the HD 800 sound REALLY good out of a solid state amp, although it seems to prefer tubes. How does the 1793 Conductor Virtuoso sound with the HD 800?

May 16, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 51
Well...........
it makes the hd800 sound bright. Not convinced it's the headphone per se. I think perceived brightness in the 800 is more to do with it being sensitive to ancillary components.

May 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 51
Thats unfortunate...as I'm particularly sensitive to treble spikes. The Conductor SL 1793 is less bright (and generally smoother sounding) than the HA 160 D I had before so I was hoping it would alleviate the bright sound associated with the HD 800. I have heard them well amped before though, and when you find a great pairing, that headphone sounds PERFECTLY neutral and actually has a lot of fun factor to it. Definitely not boring or dry like some complain. I think if I am to own an HD 800 I will have to buy it its own separate amp/dac. :frowning2:

May 20, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 51
I used the Burson Conductor as a pre amp into the WA7 + EH Tubes on a pair of HD800's, they sounded magical, with no sibilance whatsoever. 

Synergy is key.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 51
I'll be posting my Burson Conductor Virtuoso for sale in the next few days.  If anyone is interested before then, PM me.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 51
  Good luck with your sale! Which DAC chip does it come with?

I chose the Burr-Brown 1793 NOS chip as I do not care for oversampling at all.  To me,  sabre chips sound too artificial (something I obviously do not want for digital).  The most natural and "non digital" sounding cd players and DACs I've heard were all NOS.  It's a great unit and built like a tank.  Sitting 15 feet away from my headphone amplifier isn't so bad when you have a remote volume control like the Virtuoso does! LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back