Burson Conductor 3XGT
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #106 of 169
Cool... the list you have there should pair up well... its going to make your HE6se v2 really play well.. plenty of power... The LCD-x plays well but it won't take as much power... on High Gain going from 0 to 1 is pretty loud... but you can push them just a little more or go to a different gain... if you don't mind let us know how the others pair also...

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #107 of 169
I have too many and will be trying out headphones to end up with three. 2022 focal Utopia, Audeze lcd5, Sony mar-z1r, Fostex th900 mkii,Hifiman HE6se v2 and Audeze lcdx.
Pretty sure I will keep Utopia and HE6se v2, I want one more. So it will be a home competition.
I tried/owned all of those. My favorite was the TH900.
The price, failure rate, and comparative sound vs. the Clear put me off to the Utopia.
The LCD-5 I thought was too expensive and the sound was kind of harsh in the treble.
I like the Z1R a lot. I've actually bought and sold it like 3 times now. Minor criticisms are that there is a slight spike in the treble around 8 kHz and they get hot.
I prefer the LCD-XC to the LCD-X, but they're heavy and the bass isn't that great on them.
The TH900 is one of my favorite headphones. The only headphones I like more are the DCA Stealth and some upper tier electrostats. It's well tuned, blocks a lot of sound, sounds very open, and has excellent bass.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #108 of 169
I don’t have as much experience as you, and have been looking for my end game sound. I really love the Utopia and HE6se, so I’m probably going the go for a closed one. I have been going back and forth between the Z1R and TH900. The TH900 was my first purchase for headphones and it has a great soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #111 of 169
What do you guys think of the amplifier in the 3X GT versus the Soloist 3X GT?
Same amp section in both. The two differences are the Conductor 3X GT adds a DAC section. Then changes internal layout to compensate for that DAC.

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #112 of 169
I don’t have as much experience as you, and have been looking for my end game sound. I really love the Utopia and HE6se, so I’m probably going the go for a closed one. I have been going back and forth between the Z1R and TH900. The TH900 was my first purchase for headphones and it has a great soundstage.
If you like sound stage I could recommend the Hifiman HE1000 v2 Stealth ... there is a copy of it that is circulating in Europe as a test as we speak... so far the guys that are testing it are liking what they are hearing... its going to be priced at $1999 vs the $3500 for the HEK1000se ... but some are saying it sounds better than the standard v2 and the se... the original HE1000 v2 also at $1999 has an amazing soundstage and it pairs well with the Burson if you decide to upgrade the opamps to the Sparkos and a set of the Standard opamps vs the vivids... if you need the Stealth version your best bet is to write Hifiman and request a set before they release it... I don't think dealers here have it yet...

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #113 of 169
Same amp section in both. The two differences are the Conductor 3X GT adds a DAC section. Then changes internal layout to compensate for that DAC.
In the 3XGT or 3GT range the amps are only different due to the X being XLR ( double mono amps ) vs the non XLR ( single ended ) as they wanted the output power to match on the XLR/SE outputs... so the SE output on the 3XGT is not as powerful as the SE only version... the 3XGT at the SE output is 5 watts... the 3GT is SE only and its output is 10watts .... so if your not using balanced cables but want the extra power your paying for its the 3GT with 10 watts... for balanced fans its the 3XGT with 10 watts XLR and 5 watts SE outs... both have different locations for the opamps so pay attention if you opamp roll..

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #114 of 169
In the 3XGT or 3GT range the amps are only different due to the X being XLR ( double mono amps ) vs the non XLR ( single ended ) as they wanted the output power to match on the XLR/SE outputs... so the SE output on the 3XGT is not as powerful as the SE only version... the 3XGT at the SE output is 5 watts... the 3GT is SE only and its output is 10watts .... so if your not using balanced cables but want the extra power your paying for its the 3GT with 10 watts... for balanced fans its the 3XGT with 10 watts XLR and 5 watts SE outs... both have different locations for the opamps so pay attention if you opamp roll..
Yes, I forgot that there are two version of the Conductor GT and you've highlighted their differences perfectly.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #117 of 169
No... XLR units have mono block (left and right) and SE units have Stereo single ended .... its the X versions that have dual mono block (left right)
Ah I see.

Well I swapped the 5A Super Charger. Unfortunately the hiss and crackle through the left channel of the Utopia still comes and goes requiring that I switched off and on the amp again (sometimes a few times). I'll try out the Clear on the XLR cable and maybe try the SE channel. On the plus side, the ipurifier3 seems to have expanded the soundstage somewhat and made the music more lush.

EDIT: If there's no hiss using a different headphone (same XLR connector), maybe the cable connection to the left channel of the Utopia is loose or damaged, hence the occasional hiss/crackle hmm? I'll test it and get back to u guys.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #118 of 169
Props to @Guipnox for making me aware of this. I've become a bit of a Burson fanboy in the past few months - my two main SS amps are a Conductor 3XP and a Timekeeper 3ir, both of which I absolutely love.

The Conductor now has a big(ger) brother - the 3X GT. Looks a lot like the Soloist 3X GT with the red volume knob:

Burson-Conductor-GT-S1.jpg

Specs are impressive:

MeasurementPackage Content
Input impedance:40 KOhmsConductor 3X GT (R-181X)
Frequency response:± 1 dB 0 – 58KhzRemote Control
THD:<0.0015%Power Cable
Output impedance (Headphone Amp):0.5 OhmUSB Cable
Output impedance (Pre Out / DAC Out):1 Ohm / 25 Ohm24V / 5A Power Unit
Conductor 3X GT Info
Inputs:2 x XLR line-level input, 2 x RCA line-level input,USB, Optical Toslink, BlueTooth 5.0, microphoneWeight:App. 5 kg
Outputs:1 x XLR/RCA Pre Amp/Line-Level DAC Out, 1XSubwoofer Pre Amp, 1 x 6.3mm & 1 x XLR Headphone JackDimensions:255mm x 270mm x 70mm
DAC SpecXMOS USB Spec
Channel Separation:142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHzDesktop OS:Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 Mac OSX
THD+N:0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFSDesktop OS:iOS* , Android (OTG support)
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF :up to 24bit 192KPCM Support:PCM ≤ 768kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
Native DSD:Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256 / 512
Bluetooth InputBluetooth 5.0 aptX HD (Qualcomm CSR8675)DSD over PCM:DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256/Dop512
Impedance (Headphone Jack)Power XLR / SESignal to Noise Ratio Separation
16 Ohm10 / 5W112db99%
32 Ohm8 / 4W110db99%
100 Ohm3.8 / 1.9W111db99%
150 Ohm1.3W / 650mW 110db99%
300 Ohm640 / 320mW 109db99.50%

Lots of power from the balanced output, and a pretty darned impressive amount from the SE jack. A couple of interesting features I like:

- 2 XLR inputs
- 2 RCA inputs

Not for my own use case, because I like the onboard DACs on my Bursons, but it's a nice feature to have. Timekeeper has one RCA input, which is all I need (only external source I use is a phono stage), but it's cool that you seem to be able to plug a balanced DAC into the GT if you want. The Conductor 3XP has no analog input. Which is fine, it's my bedside setup and my wife would shoot me in the face with a bazooka if I tried to put a turntable in the bedroom.

The other nifty feature is a dedicated sub out. As much noise as I've heard lately around headphone+sub listening, this little feature is pretty cool.

If anyone ends up with one of these, I'd be curious how they like it. Looks like list price is $2999, currently on sale for $2699.
Does it have 4.4 headphone output?

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #120 of 169
Does it have 4.4 headphone output?
4.4 is normally associated with a balanced output (not on all manufacturers, like ifi ) and the balanced output on the Burson is full size 4 pin XLR... so if you plan on utilizing a 4.4mm balanced headphone cable you would need to get a 4.4mm to XLR adaptor.. ddhifi makes a nice one... you could use that adaptor and just keep it plugged into the burson and you would be set for 4.4mm balanced output https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Adapter-Traditional-Desktop-Earphone/dp/B094ZT75PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back