Burson Conductor 3XGT
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
Props to @Guipnox for making me aware of this. I've become a bit of a Burson fanboy in the past few months - my two main SS amps are a Conductor 3XP and a Timekeeper 3ir, both of which I absolutely love.

The Conductor now has a big(ger) brother - the 3X GT. Looks a lot like the Soloist 3X GT with the red volume knob:

Burson-Conductor-GT-S1.jpg

Specs are impressive:

MeasurementPackage Content
Input impedance: 40 KOhmsConductor 3X GT (R-181X)
Frequency response:± 1 dB 0 – 58KhzRemote Control
THD: <0.0015%Power Cable
Output impedance (Headphone Amp):0.5 OhmUSB Cable
Output impedance (Pre Out / DAC Out): 1 Ohm / 25 Ohm24V / 5A Power Unit
Conductor 3X GT Info
Inputs: 2 x XLR line-level input, 2 x RCA line-level input,USB, Optical Toslink, BlueTooth 5.0, microphoneWeight: App. 5 kg
Outputs:1 x XLR/RCA Pre Amp/Line-Level DAC Out, 1XSubwoofer Pre Amp, 1 x 6.3mm & 1 x XLR Headphone JackDimensions: 255mm x 270mm x 70mm
DAC SpecXMOS USB Spec
Channel Separation: 142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHzDesktop OS: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 Mac OSX
THD+N: 0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFSDesktop OS: iOS* , Android (OTG support)
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF : up to 24bit 192KPCM Support:PCM ≤ 768kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
Native DSD:Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256 / 512
Bluetooth InputBluetooth 5.0 aptX HD (Qualcomm CSR8675)DSD over PCM: DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256/Dop512
Impedance (Headphone Jack)Power XLR / SESignal to Noise Ratio Separation
16 Ohm10 / 5W112db99%
32 Ohm8 / 4W110db99%
100 Ohm3.8 / 1.9W111db99%
150 Ohm1.3W / 650mW 110db99%
300 Ohm640 / 320mW 109db99.50%

Lots of power from the balanced output, and a pretty darned impressive amount from the SE jack. A couple of interesting features I like:

- 2 XLR inputs
- 2 RCA inputs

Not for my own use case, because I like the onboard DACs on my Bursons, but it's a nice feature to have. Timekeeper has one RCA input, which is all I need (only external source I use is a phono stage), but it's cool that you seem to be able to plug a balanced DAC into the GT if you want. The Conductor 3XP has no analog input. Which is fine, it's my bedside setup and my wife would shoot me in the face with a bazooka if I tried to put a turntable in the bedroom.

The other nifty feature is a dedicated sub out. As much noise as I've heard lately around headphone+sub listening, this little feature is pretty cool.

If anyone ends up with one of these, I'd be curious how they like it. Looks like list price is $2999, currently on sale for $2699.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 169
How does Susvara perform on Conductor 3XP as compared to Timekeeper 3iR ?
The 3XP does a pretty good job, maybe 75-85% of the TK

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 169
So the Conductor 3X GT would be equivalent to Timekeeper 3iR on Susvara ?
Hard to say. The XLR output puts about 5-6wpc into 60 ohms, the TK from speaker taps is maybe 10-ish. I think the GT will be plenty powerful, but maybe not quite to the level of the TK.

I say this having never heard nor likely to hear the GT.

May 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 169
Surprised there isn't more discussion on this. Seems like a quite interesting all in one

May 30, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 169
Hi guys,
We have a Conductor 3X GT premiere review - Passion For Sound

"Another absolute hit from Burson!"

"Insanely good DAC, insanely good headphone amp for an absolute bargain."

That's how Lachlan from Passion For Sound describes the Conductor GT.

The pre-order is ending on 31st of May, and this is the final chance to secure one at a significant discount + over 500USD of free upgrades! Don't miss out. : )

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Jun 2, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 169
Hi guys,
We have a Conductor 3X GT premiere review - Passion For Sound

"Another absolute hit from Burson!"

"Insanely good DAC, insanely good headphone amp for an absolute bargain."

That's how Lachlan from Passion For Sound describes the Conductor GT.

The pre-order is ending on 31st of May, and this is the final chance to secure one at a significant discount + over 500USD of free upgrades! Don't miss out. : )

Hi, i have seen this YouTube review of Conductor 3X GT by Lachlan from Passion For Sound. In the review he says that if line level signal is fed to Conductor 3X GT then it gets reconverted in digital and reprocessed for upsampling and then goes to amplifier section. Is this true ? Does this applies to Timekeeper 3iR as well ?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 169
I'm guessing they still haven't implemented the encoder for the volume knob correctly? What makes this better than the better measuring Topping A90 besides having an outdated Bluetooth chip?

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 169
I'm guessing they still haven't implemented the encoder for the volume knob correctly? What makes this better than the better measuring Topping A90 besides having an outdated Bluetooth chip?
I've had both the A90 and the Conductor 3XR. There is absolutely no comparison in. the musicality these two produce. The topping is sharp, clinical, fatiguing.

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 169
I've had both the A90 and the Conductor 3XR. There is absolutely no comparison in. the musicality these two produce. The topping is sharp, clinical, fatiguing.
Very true the Burson units are beautifully musical but if they have to resample and reprocess the analogue line level signal in all of Burson excellent integrated dac amp units due to this digital volume control then many of the customer including me would not buy a Burson all in one unit because

1. Some customers have excellent DACs already pre purchased with them but they also want the comfort of all in one unit sometimes, so they could use these units both as all in one and also the amplifier section of Burson all in one units with their own DAC.

2. DAC market is changing very swiftly and modern DACs are getting better day by day, so if in future some customer might want to upgrade just the DAC while using the Burson all in one unit as an excellent amplifier.

So due to this stupid reconversion and resampling of line level analogue signal back to digital domain by internal DAC of Burson all in one units just to give the volume control in digital domain would ruin the use case scenario in both of the above mentioned points.
Burson should look on to this serious design flaw or sooner or later the sales of their excellent all in one units would fall just due to this reason.

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #15 of 169
The richer sound with character? There are a lot of people out there who do not like the boring sound of an A90 (or similar amps). Just personal preferences. Messurements are not everyhing :wink:
Why does any other amp next to the A90 makes sense, because they all messure not as good as the A90. Right? :D

Such a post could also have come from the ASR :expressionless:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back