Burson Composer 3X Performance (ESS9038, DSD512, Bluetooth, balanced output...)
May 22, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #151 of 175
I have the Composer and the Ares. The Ares has a warmer top end. However, the Composer has better soundstage, instrument separation and holographic presentation. However, replace the Burson Vivid dual op amps with the Sparkos dual op amps and the Composer top end becomes buttery, velvety smooth while maintaining its very positive traits. The upgrade sets you back about $300 but in my view it is well worth it. I suppose you could try replacing the Soloist op amps with the Sparkos to warm up the high end but I have not tried it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #152 of 175
I have the Composer and the Ares. The Ares has a warmer top end. However, the Composer has better soundstage, instrument separation and holographic presentation. However, replace the Burson Vivid dual op amps with the Sparkos dual op amps and the Composer top end becomes buttery, velvety smooth while maintaining its very positive traits. The upgrade sets you back about $300 but in my view it is well worth it. I suppose you could try replacing the Soloist op amps with the Sparkos to warm up the high end but I have not tried it.
thanks for the reply! is it the "Sparkos Labs SS2590 PRO DUAL FULL"? and my guess to replace the op amp in the composer. If so, what amp are you using? thanks.

May 22, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #153 of 175
Hello, I'm using the Soloist 3XP, and Ifi Zen Dac v2 ( as a DAC). I'm currently using a Hifiman He1000v2. I'm looking for a dac upgrade around the Composer 3xp budget. I found the Soloist 3XP+IfiZen to be very harsh on the top end, to the point that it hurts my ears for the first few minutes of using it. They are very resolving but I can feel a bit of sibilant. Would replacing the Dac with the Composer 3XP helps? or should I look for a warmer alternative like the Bitfrost 2 or the Denafrips Ares? thanks!

I have a Conductor 3x reference. The Inbuilt DAC is great. But I think my Chord qutest is even better. And for AU $900 my Chord mojo 2 is stunning. And I use it portable to drive my audeze lcd4 and lcd xc and my $10k audiotec Fischer car stereo. It is awesome

May 22, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #154 of 175
I have a Conductor 3x reference. The Inbuilt DAC is great. But I think my Chord qutest is even better. And for AU $900 my Chord mojo 2 is stunning. And I use it portable to drive my audeze lcd4 and lcd xc and my $10k audiotec Fischer car stereo. It is awesome
Oh I have the sparko Aries too. That fed by the qutest is my best combo. But the burson is great. Haven't fed it with the qutest yet. Switching between the various burson and sparkos opamps helps you tailor to your tastes

May 22, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #155 of 175
Oh I have the sparko Aries too. That fed by the qutest is my best combo. But the burson is great. Haven't fed it with the qutest yet. Switching between the various burson and sparkos opamps helps you tailor to your tastes
hrmm Interesting. I'm torn between getting a warmer dac or getting the more cleaner composer 3xp for my soloist, Which I'm sure the IFI Zen dac somewhat bottlenecks it. Qutest not a bad recommendation, I'll take a look.

May 22, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #156 of 175
hrmm Interesting. I'm torn between getting a warmer dac or getting the more cleaner composer 3xp for my soloist, Which I'm sure the IFI Zen dac somewhat bottlenecks it. Qutest not a bad recommendation, I'll take a look.
You must trial the qutest, it's sublime. But try the mojo 2 as well it's awesome and so much cheaper, plus portable and a headamp

May 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #160 of 175
I have not heard either one. The Burson Composer 3X with the 4 Sparkos op amps offers the best presentation in my system. Of course, mileage may vary.
I have a burson conductor 3x. it is sublime. the sparkos arise fed by a chord qutest is slightly better, but I'm not sure its worth the money, the burson is amazing value

May 22, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #161 of 175
I have a burson conductor 3x. it is sublime. the sparkos arise fed by a chord qutest is slightly better, but I'm not sure its worth the money, the burson is amazing value
im not trying to brag, i just have the burson in my lounge room and the sparkos/qutest in my home office. and Mojo 2 for portable/car. currently I'm unemployed so I'm not upgrading anytime soon

May 22, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #162 of 175
I'll see if I could actually Audition the qutest somewhere..

No, it takes four of the SS3602 Dual Discrete Op Amps. I put mine on Risers ($2/ea.) x 4.

SS3602 Dual Discrete Op Amp​

Thank you! Velvety smooth vocals is something I'm actually looking for. The way you explained it is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm using the soloist 3xp with the he1000v2. The Headphone itself is amazing and what I've been looking for, Vocals can be very bright and harsh sometimes.

May 22, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #163 of 175

Thank you! Velvety smooth vocals is something I'm actually looking for. The way you explained it is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm using the soloist 3xp with the he1000v2. The Headphone itself is amazing and what I've been looking for, Vocals can be very bright and harsh sometimes.
I have two versions of the burson op amps and the sparkos op amps, you can tune either the burson head amps or the sparkos head amps as you like with them.

Then I have a quest dac and a mojo 2

I can't help but think it's all about personal preference and nothing to do with accuracy. all these things are very accurate I think and no one ever tells us what they are comparing it to for accuracy.

May 22, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #164 of 175

You need to color your sound. You can throw money at it and hope you get what you're after. However, EQ is far easier. Are you able to access a parametric EQ in your setup?

May 22, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #165 of 175
I have two versions of the burson op amps and the sparkos op amps, you can tune either the burson head amps or the sparkos head amps as you like with them.

Then I have a quest dac and a mojo 2

I can't help but think it's all about personal preference and nothing to do with accuracy. all these things are very accurate I think and no one ever tells us what they are comparing it to for accuracy.
You are so right. I wish there was only one rating, namely how close a device comes to reproducing our own perceptions during live musical performances. The larger the percentage of people giving an audio device high marks the more worthwhile that device would be worth pursuing. I've been fortunate to hear a very large number of audiophile-grade gear at all prices, and been to more concerts than most people are lucky enough to attend. No gear I've ever put together, no matter how synergistic, has nailed my memories of 2 to 3 live performances a week.

It is so hard to remember over 50 years, but I think my current rigs are only now approaching my live performance memories. They are good ones. For fifteen years I sat first balcony, second-row center at Chicago's Orchestra Hall. They were the best seats in the house, thanks to making the fortuitous acquaintance in the bus on my way to work of a very wealthy old lady that matched my passion for music and good conversation. Opera I can take or leave, but her incredible company sitting in a box at the Lyric Opera House were times I'll never forget. After she left the city I dated the music critic for a newspaper. My music education continued, another chapter in my subsidized journey :)

I may never get to hear music of fidelity that matches 100% of my live memories. However, reading about your experiences and that of many others has helped me get quite close, and inspires me to continue the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back