Burson Composer 3X Performance (ESS9038, DSD512, Bluetooth, balanced output...)
May 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #106 of 175
I agree with @qsk78 for the most part. It's true that a DAP won't compete with the Composer. But if you don't feel like making that investment now, I'd just go with the Hiby and see if you're ok with that. Before I bought the Composer, I was trying to get the best dac for my money (like everyone), and I kept pushing the budget until I bought the Composer.
Then I looked back. And I found that the difference with my previous reference, the dac in the Oppo 105 EU, was minimal. Really really minimal to my ears, that is. Do I prefer the Composer? I do. I think it's terrific, and endgame for me, for sure.
Would I spend the money again, knowing that the difference with the Oppo 105 is minimal to my ears? Probably not.

May 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #107 of 175
I had not intended to buy a DAC. I thought the Soloist and the Hiby would be good enough but the more I read the more I came to the conclusion that it might make sense to get the DAC. It's all about the implementation. @qsk78's post was confirmation. The big problem is that the dollars for the Soloist/Composer combination are approaching Phonitor XE territory and having not heard either one of them makes it is a tough decision.

May 10, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #108 of 175
I had not intended to buy a DAC. I thought the Soloist and the Hiby would be good enough but the more I read the more I came to the conclusion that it might make sense to get the DAC. It's all about the implementation. @qsk78's post was confirmation. The big problem is that the dollars for the Soloist/Composer combination are approaching Phonitor XE territory and having not heard either one of them makes it is a tough decision.
I have the composer and soloist combo. they are my end game purchases :)

May 11, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #109 of 175
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #115 of 175
I use Audirvana. Not a big fan, and I'm certainly not going to upgrade to their latest version, but that's what I use until I find something affordable for mac.
I think it might be the setting of my Jriver. I need to dig more tonight. Thanks!

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #116 of 175
Currently I have the hifiman he1000se and soloist 3xp. I stupidly sold the denafrips Ares 2 which was a great combo. Has anyone compared the denafrips and the composer 3xp? I would repurchase the Ares 2 but the ocd in me would love the matching stack. The musicality of the r2r dac was amazing.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #118 of 175
Does anybody know if the Composer does any type of upsampling? In the description in Burson's website they say "We don’t use DSP to over-sample or reprocess the original digital signal". So, I'm assuming the Composer doesn't upsample. Am I wrong?

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #119 of 175
Well, it shows 44K when I play 44.1kHz track, at least.

IMG_3856 (002).jpg
Normally it shows exactly the same bit rate as the original file.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back