Burson Audio HA 160 or Luxman P-1u
Apr 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Titleesq

New Head-Fier
Hello, total newbie here. In fact this is my first post. I am currently in the market for my very first full size amp and have narrowed it down to these two. If anyone has had a chance to listen to both, your feedback will be GREATLY appreciated. Even if you just have an opinion as to which of these two amps I should purchase, I would love to hear it. Thanks so much in advance........
atsmile.gif

BTW, I will be listenly mostly with my JH-13s.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 27
I've heard the burson and a different luxman, I don't know what the Luxman P1 is priced at, but from sheer company reputation and product quality I would put the Luxman way above Burson.

I would add that if you were to spend that $500-$600 odd on the Burson, you are better of doing a little more research as there are tons of SS amps in that price range which could eat-digest the Burson for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would add that if you were to spend that $500-$600 odd on the Burson, you are better of doing a little more research as there are tons of SS amps in that price range which could eat-digest the Burson for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

What would you be referring to?

My reading on this forum and a few other review sites basically puts the burson ahead of the majority of its rivals at a similar pricepoint, not including DIY.

The innards of the burson look better than a lot of the other amps at a similar pricepoint that I have seen also.

Anyway to the OP, you seem to be comparing amps at a very very different pricepoint. I've never heard a luxman, but for that kind of money, I would probably have a custom b22 built.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My reading on this forum and a few other review sites basically puts the burson ahead of the majority of its rivals at a similar pricepoint, not including DIY.

The innards of the burson look better than a lot of the other amps at a similar pricepoint that I have seen also.

Anyway to the OP, you seem to be comparing amps at a very very different pricepoint. I've never heard a luxman, but for that kind of money, I would probably have a custom b22 built.

I could say that I haven't seen interiors of most amps I've heard.to start my C-2 sounds ages better then the Burson, a few chinese amps in $300.00 range sound more commanding, a dynalo would be better, Gilmore lite, I could continue.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 27
One problem with the Burson is that there's no gain switch and it has a stepped attenuator, so you might not have enough steps to find the right volume setting, since I assume that the JH13 are quite sensitive...

It depends on the whole setup really. For example, if you go with the Luxman, can you still afford a good source?

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

I could say that I haven't seen interiors of most amps I've heard.to start my C-2 sounds ages better then the Burson, a few chinese amps in $300.00 range sound more commanding, a dynalo would be better, Gilmore lite, I could continue.

Have you actually had an extended listen to the Burson amp, or any of the other amps you have mentioned so you can (subjectively) compare them?

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you actually had an extended listen to the Burson amp, or any of the other amps you have mentioned so you can (subjectively) compare them?

I haven't probably 15 mins of listening, that is the reason i want to review the Burson to get a better understanding of what is fuss is about.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I'd be interested in knowing which $300 Chinese amps you're talking about.

Quote:

I haven't probably 15 mins of listening, that is the reason i want to review the Burson to get a better understanding of what is fuss is about.

Ok, but if you're already saying your amp "sounds ages better"...

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd put the Gold point amp V5 in that same category of one of the better commercial amps in the 1,000 & under range..

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

I feel you don't need a full sized amp with custom IEM, it would be an overkill, probably worth getting the JH13s balanced and then getting some portable balanced amp.

Hmm, I plugged my UE18s into my 336, and its magical.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 27
Get the Luxman and forget about upgrading amps. ;D

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 27
dont you afraid plugging iem to full size amp could damage the iem..? i've read some amp manufacturer warns their user to not using iem with their amps...lavry is one of those,just read their forum..

i think some full size desktop amp are not designed to be used with iem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back