Burson Audio FUNK, 3Wpc Headphone Amp and 45Wpc Class-AB Speaker Amp
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #78 of 92
Is this good just as a headphone amp?

Very. I'm currently using it with my HE1000V2 and EE Odin and it sounds great with either (and no hiss with the Odin).

It's significantly better than my Cayin iHA-6, Gilmore Lite Mk2, and an old Schiit Asgard 2. I'm especially impressed with its depth of sound stage and realism.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #79 of 92
Has anyone heard the Funk Max Current by Jay Lee version?

Though I really like the original Funk, I'm curious if the Max is much different/better (not real keen on the black/gold coloring though).

I was about to buy the Schiit Lyr+ (for a second bedroom setup) but then I saw the Funk Max. :thinking:

Anyone compare the Lyr 3 or Lyr+ to the original Funk (or Funk Max) perchance?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #81 of 92
You wouldn't know how this compares to the Asgard 3?

No, I've never owned or heard the Asgard 3, but unless the 3 is a big improvement over my Asgard 2, the Funk will blow it away.

I've done some a/b between the Funk and Asgard 2 and there's no real comparison. The Funk is just better at everything, from sound signature to technicalities, especially sound staging (the Asgard gives a very flat wall-of-sound presentation without good separation, layering, and especially depth). The Asgard 2 is a decent amp with enough power and doesn't really do anything wrong, but the Funk is just on another level imo.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #84 of 92
Can this power the Hifiman HE6se v2?
The current Burson Funk model cannot power the Hifiman HE6 V2 via its headphones port. You need an amp that can nominally output at least 4W at 50Ω, that's the word on the audiophile community. The Funk outputs less than ~2W at 50Ω, so I'm afraid it's far from that. These headphones are great but a pest when it comes to amplification. Your best bet is a Monoprice Liquid Platinum or a Schiit Lyr 3. The Burson Conductor Reference [ 3XR (via XLR) or 3R (SE) ] could also be an alternative.
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/funk/
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor-3x/

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #86 of 92
Has anyone ever tried a Burson Funk and Susvara pairing?

Burson seems to have launched a more fancy version of Funk in collaboration with YouTube reviewer Burson Funk Max Current – Limited edition by Jay lee

I just got my Burson Funk Ltd edition by Jay Lee and tried my Susvara's with them.

Drives them fine. Personally, since Susvara is already a super resolving headphone, I can be happy in the low gain mode. If you want more juice you can go high gain. Never had to resort to using the speaker taps.

I'm using the Funk with a Denafrips Ares 12th. 12th is a different beast from Ares II. Much more detailed and has more forward highs.

Funk with the Vivid pampas is supposed to be warm signature, but I'm finding there's too much glare in the top end for my taste.

I swapped in some Sparkos 3602 in place of the Vivids in the input section as well as the headphone volume section.

Noticed increased instrument separation and a bit more body and warmth. However, my ears still find the top end too bright. I prefer my Musician Pegasus/Bakoon Amp-13rR combo. Super musical, full body, nice holographic sound stage but never bright on top.

Ares 12th sounded good with the Bakoon Amp-13R too, but with the Funk the top end is too hot for me.

Fun to play round though. I may try to see if I can get the pro version of the sparkos or staccato op-amps a go as well.

Maybe Funk and Ares 12th needs more break-in. This is just day 1.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #87 of 92
This is a long shot question, but can anyone say how the Funk sounds in comparison to the old Burson HA-160? I've been a long-time HA-160 owner, but I haven't really followed Burson in their profusion of products since. Aside from good sound-- the HA-160 has fine technical sonic ability, detailed but with a touch of analogue-like warmth-- I also actually like and prefer it's simplicity-- no bells and whistles. So the Funk has my interest now too. Too many choices in Burson Land now though for me-- op amp decisions, power supply options, limited editions, etc. I know choice and options/features can be appealing often, but for the moment I'm looking for something just good and simple.

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #88 of 92
Here also a Jay Lee Burson Funk, as of a couple of days. Previously had the stock Funk. Back then I put in the Burson Classic op-amps, both into the Funk & a Soloist 3XP. That mellowed the top end considerably. Now listening to the Vivid op-amps & would say it is hotter on top than my other amps (iFi Pro iCan & microZotl 2)--but clean & delicate. Will try some Classics again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back