Burson Audio FUNK, 3Wpc Headphone Amp and 45Wpc Class-AB Speaker Amp
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #46 of 92
Exactly! I'll try it with Susvara after getting it and will report back, should be funky
Any updates on this? I was thinking of getting the funk and using the speaker taps for he6se as 3W at 16ohms seems a little for it, but I'm also unsure how much power will speaker taps provide at 50ohms. Was your susvara able to be driven properly? (Not just volume wise)

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #47 of 92
I got my second unit, this time (randomly, I still have to figure it out when happens) got pops in left channel, after a few pops I got white/gray noise for a few seconds, then another 5 pops, then silence, then a few pops, then I can listen without issues.

Two units had issues, what a disappointment.
I got my first Funk and it had sporadic static in the left channel. Got a replacement and got static in both channels and when I replaced the opamps with the Vivids it sounded anemic. Turned out both units were defective. Disappointing as I liked the sound.

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #48 of 92
I got my first Funk and it had sporadic static in the left channel. Got a replacement and got static in both channels and when I replaced the opamps with the Vivids it sounded anemic. Turned out both units were defective. Disappointing as I liked the sound.
I got two units with failures but I got a mail from them and they told me how to fix it, I had to resolder the potentiometer, after that, I had no more issues with pops-noises.

If you are avid with soldering, just apply some heat on all legs of the potentiometer and that will fix the issues.

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #49 of 92
I wish I had known, I would have tried this. Thanks for letting me know. I ended up returning them and getting the new Chord Anni, so it all worked out I guess just at 3x the cost of the Funk!

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #50 of 92
I wish I had known, I would have tried this. Thanks for letting me know. I ended up returning them and getting the new Chord Anni, so it all worked out I guess just at 3x the cost of the Funk!
Well at least you know how to fix it if you intend to buy it later.

I don{t like the Anni, I mean just 10 watts compared to 45 watts from the Funk, at 3 times more expensive, no way. And you cant swap opams on Anni.

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #51 of 92
Currently trying to decide between this or the Soloist 3x. I don't need the extra power as I'll be using it primarily for IEM's (Odins), but if the Soloist has better sound quality too it would be worth it.

Kind of wondering if I should just get the cheaper Funk first to try the Burson sound and then later use it in a bedroom set up if I decided to go up the the Soloist for my main.

Anyone compare the Funk to the Soloist? Is the Soloist about the same sound with just more power, or better sound and more power?

EDIT: I've decided to go with the Funk. Depending on how much I enjoy it, I will probably advance to the Soloist; especially if I decide to get some summitt-fi over the ear cans in the future. After I get it (probably going to wait and see about Holiday sales), I'll post impressions.

2nd EDIT: I got the Funk (basic model) yesterday from headphones.com, which provided excellent customer service through every step, including very fast shipping (and email answering). One of the best audio retailers I've ever worked with honestly (& I've been into the audio world, mostly with speaker setups, for almost 25 years since my mid teens).

The Funk is working just fine, gets slightly warm. Using it with my Odin IEMs mostly. On low gain with the Odins I hear no background noise; on high gain there is a low hiss.

It's really too early for me to have become fully familiar with the sound, but I like what I'm hearing.

What struck me right away was the power of this thing, and I've been using the powerful Cayin iHA-6 in my main headphone system. I'm staying between the 8-9 position (low gain); on the Cayin iHA-6 I'm usually at the 10-12 position (low gain, low headphone out). I might have to finally buy a iEMatch.

The next noticeable attribute of the sound was the weight behind (or suffused into) the notes. Very different from the thin-ish Cayin iHA-6, and one reason I bought the Funk (the Cayin iHA-6 is a good amp, but it can sound too thin/hard/glarey/cold/metallicy/etc. and this has been bugging me for awhile). But this weight is not tubby or too rounded (something I dislike), so it doesn't affect the clarity or instrument separation. It just sounds natural; gives some substance and tangibility to the sound. Nice trick!

Also, it seems the Funk comes right up to the line of where things tip into stridency and stays firmly on the safe side. So it's not very fatiguing, even with bright/loud music of certain genres (metal, hard rock, some enthusiastic jazz). This is again in comparison to the Cayin iHA-6 which is often fatiguing, to the point where I listen to it at lower levels than I like (and I don't listen very loud). The Funk is revealing/transparent without being tiring.

I think vocals are better on the Funk than the Cayin iHA-6: more forward (but not pushed at you; they are still positioned well) and the weight behind/in the notes especially gives male vocals more heft and realism.

The bass is also very good, at least as good as the Cayin iHA-6: the Odin's famous sub bass rumble comes through, and the weight behind/in the notes gives the mid bass more presence, but again not in a bloated or muddy way, just natural. There is good articulation/detail/slam too.

Clarity and detail in the mids and highs is also very good: it just kind of flows into your ears instead of being artificially forced at you in a dishonest way (to make you think there is more than there really is).

Speed, dynamics and the ability to keep up with complex/fast passages is also impressive, no lagging or confusion.

The best thing I can say at this point is that after some A/Bing with the Cayin iHA-6, I've been going through my music collection to see how this track/album sounds on the Funk and staying up too late doing so, as is the case right now! (Apologizes for any infelicity in my post; I'm pretty tired right now. I'm giving thanks for the long holiday weekend...and my new Funk amp haha!).

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #52 of 92
I tried making a slightly shorter video on the Burson Audio Funk, curious if you like it, or if my longer, more funny videos are usually better? :)

This one is an amplifier that I already reviewed in writing, tons of power, great headphone output, and good value, so the video may feel a bit like a recap of my full written review :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #54 of 92
so anyone used thisyet on the he6 / he6se / he6se v2? i am wondering if it is able to power the cans alright? or if it is lacking?

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #55 of 92
so anyone used thisyet on the he6 / he6se / he6se v2? i am wondering if it is able to power the cans alright? or if it is lacking?

I did, good power with He6SE, I think they match well. The sound is a bit on the lean side, as Funk is not overly dark or thick, but the power and dynamics are top notch. I love the overall musicality, and the stereo image is superb with the pairing

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #56 of 92
I did, good power with He6SE, I think they match well. The sound is a bit on the lean side, as Funk is not overly dark or thick, but the power and dynamics are top notch. I love the overall musicality, and the stereo image is superb with the pairing
thank you - just as i thought - it did sound that way with the soloist 3xp . my other pair of cans is a heddphone - im trying to get an amp that will power both very well.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #57 of 92
Are you a Burson Audio Product user and ready to get the best you can out of it?

Today I made a full written review about the Super Charger 3A, the best way to improve your Burson Experience. While power conditioners and power converters are usually not the hottest thing to upgrade in a system, Burson's unique approach to how it is implemented actually means that this one works well for their own products.

I hope that my review is helpful to you and I'm always around to help if you need my advice!

It is a bit pricey if you buy it for Funk in particular, but still has fairly good performance!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...a-improving-burson-sound-by-power-supply.html

Burson-Super-Charger-Supercharger-Power-Adapter-Linear-Power-Supply-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-09.jpg

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #60 of 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back