Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Nov 29, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #121 of 719
Just ordered the Fun with Vivid op amps from Parts Connexion. They are running a good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal on it.

I own the Supreme Sound Lycan, which was a Burson built and designed opamp test bench from a few years back. I really like the Lycan and look forward to comparing its sound with the Fun.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #122 of 719
Just ordered the Fun with Vivid op amps from Parts Connexion. They are running a good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal on it.

I own the Supreme Sound Lycan, which was a Burson built and designed opamp test bench from a few years back. I really like the Lycan and look forward to comparing its sound with the Fun.

The Fun is a bit more potent than the Lycan and to my ear is a bit less colored than the Lycan depending on which Op-amps are rolled in. I am favoring the Vivids but the classics run a close 2nd. Muses also sound really nice.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #123 of 719
My Fun seems to be defective in that the initial startup buzz never goes away so the amp is unusable with my lower impedance IEM's. While it is a powerful amp, it should, according to Burson, provide a black background for IEM's once the power supply initially stabilizes which should only take a minute or two. Mine sometimes took over 20 minutes and the raspy low-level sound was still audible in my standard cans.
I have been in touch with Burson and hopefully their engineers can discover the issue. Sounds sort of like listening to a 120 Hz square-wave signal. I did try an alternate 12v power source but the problem was still apparent.

Biggest issue is the cost of transportation back and forth from the US to HK.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #124 of 719
I've just tested Play with Fun's power brick and Play works just fine.

Edit: I have connected Fun with Play's power brick and now i can hear the sound BUT there is horrible chopper sound-like popping noise in the background which can be heard. It is on regardless is eg. Play turned on or not. Also volume level doesnt affect this noise at all.

I have re-tested by plugging Fun's power brick into Fun -> LEDs are flashing with no sound.
That noise is the same as I am having with my Fun! Is supposed to last only a minute or so until the power supply stabilizes. Mine never does.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #125 of 719
if possible, otherwise, please
That noise is the same as I am having with my Fun! Is supposed to last only a minute or so until the power supply stabilizes. Mine never does.

It's odd...not sure I've connected the headphones immediately to check the background noise in the first few seconds (I'll probably do that tomorrow), but deifnitely there's no noise coming out from my FUN. I had this tested with 100dB/mW 16 Ohms IEMs.

What headphone were you using, please? What about using regular 32 Ohms cans instead of very sensitive IEMs? Is the noise still present.

Please notice that sometimes IEMs might have a buzzing sound if a very thin cable is used. Can you change your IEMs cables and re-check?

P.S.: If you unplug the power brick with your IEMs placed on your head, in the very next second is that buzzing noise still there? You need to carefully listen for that noise before FUN's internal relay will cut off the output stage (if possible, otherwise please ignore this P.S.). I'm just trying to find out if the noise is coming from your mains or from a ground-loop.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #126 of 719
My Fun seems to be defective in that the initial startup buzz never goes away so the amp is unusable with my lower impedance IEM's

Does it sound like this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sp00bqtbmmmaje/Buzz via 6i6.wav?dl=0

I currently hear it out of the Burson Bang + speakers when using the Fun as a preamp, but inserting and removing a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapater stops it reliably. Before, when using it as a headphone amp, I often heard it after turning the Fun on, but repeated power cycling or repeated re-inserting the headphones makes it go away eventually.
Using the Fun with Bang's power supply does not fix the issue.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #127 of 719
Does it sound like this?

I currently hear it out of the Burson Bang + speakers when using the Fun as a preamp, but inserting and removing a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapater stops it reliably. Before, when using it as a headphone amp, I often heard it after turning the Fun on, but repeated power cycling or repeated re-inserting the headphones makes it go away eventually.

My Fun's sound issue sounds exactly like on your clip. Thanks for sharing it btw!

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #129 of 719
My Fun's sound issue sounds exactly like on your clip. Thanks for sharing it btw!

I wonder if with no inputs connected and volume to the min. the same noise is still present. If not, try increasing the volume (no input source connected) and see if noise appears.
If still noise, perhaps a new PSU might help? Maybe a computer desktop +12V to try out?

It's odd because I have absolutely no noise with FUN nor with BANG. Fan tested with 100dB sensitive 18 Ohms IEMs, BANG tested with 90dB/mw/1m speakers.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #130 of 719
I wonder if with no inputs connected and volume to the min. the same noise is still present. If not, try increasing the volume (no input source connected) and see if noise appears.
If still noise, perhaps a new PSU might help? Maybe a computer desktop +12V to try out?

It's odd because I have absolutely no noise with FUN nor with BANG. Fan tested with 100dB sensitive 18 Ohms IEMs, BANG tested with 90dB/mw/1m speakers.
That noise is independent of the volume setting. My recording is from a review unit, and the unit I bought on Black Friday has an even nastier (less regular) noise (a replacement PCB is on the way). The Bang's power supply is compatible, but doesn't change the noise at all.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #131 of 719
That noise is independent of the volume setting. My recording is from a review unit, and the unit I bought on Black Friday has an even nastier (less regular) noise (a replacement PCB is on the way). The Bang's power supply is compatible, but doesn't change the noise at all.
Same here..buzz is audible with nothing connected and independent of volume setting. Also changing power supply shows no change.
I also have a replacement PCB enroute. Hopefully that will resolve this dealbreaking issue.

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #132 of 719
My unit is totally quiet, either cold or warmed up. No noise, hums or buzz whatsoever.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #133 of 719
Does it sound like this?

My Fun also had that same noise issue, but it went away after around 2 minutes or so. I didnt need to unplug anything or do anything really just had to wait. It also never came back once it had warmed up.

If you havent tried yet just turn it on and wait a couple minutes not unplugging anything and see if it goes away.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #134 of 719
My Fun also had that same noise issue, but it went away after around 2 minutes or so. I didnt need to unplug anything or do anything really just had to wait. It also never came back once it had warmed up.

If you havent tried yet just turn it on and wait a couple minutes not unplugging anything and see if it goes away.
That's the case for at least the new unit, probably also for the review unit. Still unacceptable. :-D
Looks like my package has made it out of customs quickly, maybe I can try a new PCB soon.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #135 of 719
Was there any information about what is different on the new PCB? or is this being chalked up to a bad component and not a design change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back