Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #76 of 719
Ohhh, and my review made it to the front-page too - wooohoooo more power to the Burson!
Great Review!

I have a situation and would like your opinion. I have the oprotunity to buy a the Burson Conductor (same Dac/amp in your photo) demo unit for $600. Or I could by the FUN new.

As you own both... What would you do/keep. I would be mainly buying it to pair with my LCD3.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #77 of 719
Great Review!

I have a situation and would like your opinion. I have the oprotunity to buy a the Burson Conductor (same Dac/amp in your photo) demo unit for $600. Or I could by the FUN new.

As you own both... What would you do/keep. I would be mainly buying it to pair with my LCD3.

Hi,
What a dilemma. Let me give you an answer in two parts.

Part 1:
Without pitting them against each other...
The Conductor is a classic. Still performs very well as a DAC, as an amp and as a DAC/Amp. If you want to upgrade the DAC, you can do it, using the Conductor just as an amp. You want to use it as a dac only, possible too. It also has a higher power output and has an even better grip on these Audezes...

So gut reaction: go with the Conductor.

Part 2:

For this I will have to try these two with my LCD-2, sorry, don’t have the LCD-3 unfortunately.
Once I have tried the Conductor as dac/Amp and as DAC and the Fun as amp, then I can tell you which one I prefer.

For now what speaks for the Fun:
- newer design, based on the Conductor V2 amp
- cheaper

What speaks for the Conductor:
- complete package, DAC and amp
- a true former flagship
- visually and build unlit your wise a stunner

It’s too late tonight for me, so I will do some 5est8ng tomorrow with my LCD-2 between Conductor and Fun standard (still don’t have the V5 and V6 opamps), and let you know which was indeed more FUN with the LCD-2.

With my latest acquisition, the TH900 I did like them both equally well but have used different DACs (Ifi audio iDSD with the FUN and build in dac with the Conductor) both were shockingly good with the Fostex.

So, bear with me until same time tomorrow.

Cheers!,

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #78 of 719
Hi,

Part 1:
The Conductor is a classic. Still performs very well as a DAC, as an amp and as a DAC/Amp. If you want to upgrade the DAC, you can do it, using the Conductor just as an amp. You want to use it as a dac only, possible too. It also has a higher power output and has an even better grip on these Audezes...

Part 2:

For this I will have to try these two with my LCD-2, sorry, don’t have the LCD-3 unfortunately.
Once I have tried the Conductor as dac/Amp and as DAC and the Fun as amp, then I can tell you which one I prefer.

- cheaper

- a true former flagship

It’s too late tonight for me, so I will do some 5est8ng tomorrow with my LCD-2 between Conductor and Fun standard (still don’t have the V5 and V6 opamps), and let you know which was indeed more FUN with the LCD-2.

With my latest acquisition, the TH900 I did like them both equally well but have used different DACs (Ifi audio iDSD with the FUN and build in dac with the Conductor) both were shockingly good with the Fostex.

Cheers!,
Thank you! I look forward to more of your impressions.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #79 of 719
Hi,

Part 1:

Part 2:

- cheaper

- a true former flagship

Cheers!,
So, I bought the Burson conductor today! So feel free to be bias and tell me that I made the right choice haha. I have not been able to listen to it again yet, or compare it two thingstwo things I already have. It is a beautiful piece of hardware.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #81 of 719
So, you got the Conductor for only $600? Lucky you :)
Yes... but keep in mind this is the version before the V1.

I have been listening now for maybe 15 minutes and first impressions feels like better imaging, separation, and a little more space in the 3D-soundstage. I am digging it right now! :gs1000smile:

However, its hard to tell if I'm just hearing my own excitement in the headphones yet. :laughing:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #82 of 719
I've been running the Fun out to a set of Cascades and really love the pairing of those two when using the V6 Classic op-amps. I am a bigger fan of the vivid in general terms, but with the Cascade not needing anymore warmth or low end, I opted to throw the Classics in. For what it is worth, I also tried the muses03 that I recently got in from Mouser and they also sound very good. I have a feeling I haven't rolled the V6c, V6v, and Muses03 for the last time in the Fun as they all have something going for them. (The Muses are my favorite when the fun is paired with my Senn HD700),

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #83 of 719
So, I bought the Burson conductor today! So feel free to be bias and tell me that I made the right choice haha. I have not been able to listen to it again yet, or compare it two thingstwo things I already have. It is a beautiful piece of hardware.

Man, congratulations!!!

Great news and this baby will look amazing in your cabinet/desk/living room / anywhere.

What I found helpful:
Warm that beast up for at least 30 minutes before using it. Rewards are higher - maybe it’s just the anticipation too but who cares it does sound just a bit better when it’s on optimal operating temperature.

You know have up to 4 Watt on power at your disposal. Handle with care! :)

And last but not least: Where are the PHOTOS??

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #84 of 719
20180919_222005.jpg 20180919_221153.jpg
Man, congratulations!!!

Great news and this baby will look amazing in your cabinet/desk/living room / anywhere.

What I found helpful:
Warm that beast up for at least 30 minutes before using it. Rewards are higher - maybe it’s just the anticipation too but who cares it does sound just a bit better when it’s on optimal operating temperature.

You know have up to 4 Watt on power at your disposal. Handle with care! :)

And last but not least: Where are the PHOTOS??
Haha

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #85 of 719
Loveley. Now isn’t that a good looking device? If you have the tools, open it up, it looks super well build on the inside too.

Enjoy this guy, looks exactly like mine. Love it.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #87 of 719
I am blown away by how this amp sounds with Sparkos SS3601s. About as engaging as I remember the Schiit Lyr 3 with new production tubes to be, but even more resolving than the Schiit Jotunheim (at least when using it completely single ended). Don't want to stop listening. Feeding both with a Topping DX7s and listening with the MrSpeakers Ether Flow with stock 6.5mm DUM cable. Delightful!

Burson Fun with SS3601s.jpg

P_20180929_220908_vHDR_On.jpg

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #88 of 719
Hi all, I recently received a FUN for review and have a strange issue going on... hoping someone can help. The amp sounds great sometimes (I have used both the stock opamps and V6C with good results), but I am finding an intermittent issue with a significant noise through the system using either active speakers or headphones. The noise sounds like power noise - it's consistent in frequency with a slight rhythm to it - like a low buzzing noise.

At first I thought it was an opamp issue because I noticed it after first installing the V6C, but switching back and forth has proved that both sets of opamps can be silent or can exhibit the noise. I've tried plugging into different power circuits, trying the amp with no source connected, and with / without the active speakers connected to the pre-amp outputs. Last night the amp was working perfectly with no noise (using V6Cs), but when I switched it on this morning it was pumping out the noise again.

By the way, my other gear is all unaffected (Bottlehead Mainline, Gumby, iFi Micro iDSD)

Anyone got any ideas what might be happening?

Does it sound like this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxyuu2n50ms2fw8/Buzz.mp3

I get this every now and then. More likely to happen if it hasn't been used for a few hours. Power cycling a few times until it's gone can help, apparently. Not sure what it is.

Edit: Better capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sp00bqtbmmmaje/Buzz via 6i6.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #89 of 719
Can anyone compare this Fun with Vivids to say the Lyr3? I need an amp upgrade for my planars and I just don't have a lot of places to try all these amps out. I hate to order and not like either one, so I'm looking for some help.

Is the new Fun, dead silent with iems, yet can turn up with larger cans, with, while keep full control?

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #90 of 719
Don't have Lyr3, but don't need it to give you an answer: based on https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-bang.23274/reviews#review-20790 FUN is a powerful 2W/ch. amplifier with 5Amps rails, so no issues driving planar with FUN. Planar are correctly driven when output stage is beefy enough and power supply is powerful enough, so FUN is one of these amps.

I had it tested with FOSTEX T50RPmk3 and Hifiman HE-560, also others tested it with Audeze cans, nobody had an issues and nobody should given it's Class-A powerful output stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back