Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Mar 20, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #481 of 719
Anybody here have any experience with xDuoo tube amps? There is a new one on MassDrop this morning:
xDuoo TA-05 Tube Headphone Amp

It looks to be a hybrid with no balanced option. Cost wise, very close to the Loxjie.

Is xDuoo a good company. I know they play in the affordable market.

Shane D

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #482 of 719
Anybody here have any experience with xDuoo tube amps? There is a new one on MassDrop this morning:
xDuoo TA-05 Tube Headphone Amp

It looks to be a hybrid with no balanced option. Cost wise, very close to the Loxjie.

Is xDuoo a good company. I know they play in the affordable market.

Shane D
At that price range, and if you’re looking at hybrids, the Little Dot I+ would be a better choice IMO.

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #485 of 719
Must..............resist................Buying.................more opamps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparkos or 992's?????? At least they are all inexpensive............
For ultimate synergy, use one SS3601 in the left channel and one 992Enh-Ticha in the right channel.

Okay, okay, I'll see myself out.

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #486 of 719
For ultimate synergy, use one SS3601 in the left channel and one 992Enh-Ticha in the right channel.
Okay, okay, I'll see myself out.

OK! Now, that's a GREAT idea!!! Knowing me I'd be constantly swapping the SS3601 / 992 from L to R and back depending on the music I'm listening to.

At least all these opamps are current production and available. With tubes I am always scrounging for the best tested and branded NOS (yeah, right!) tubes often made in the 50's, 60's or earlier!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #487 of 719
OK! Now, that's a GREAT idea!!! Knowing me I'd be constantly swapping the SS3601 / 992 from L to R and back depending on the music I'm listening to.
Now that's just madness, obviously the preference depends on the differences in the two halves of your brain!

At least all these opamps are current production and available. With tubes I am always scrounging for the best tested and branded NOS (yeah, right!) tubes often made in the 50's, 60's or earlier!
Very true. Predictable prices and supply, no microphonics or longevity issues, (maybe) no matching issues, and far fewer choices if you stick to discrete opamps. That I can tolerate.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #488 of 719
Took out the SS3601's and inserted the Classics...and once again I am amazed...listeing to Holly Cole, Alison...very intimite, very nice, open, clear, laid back...really sweet sounding....ha! I could live
with these anytime.....

Either the 3601's or the Classics are just fine..depends on what your audio Brian is set to for the day!!

Alex

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #489 of 719
Took out the SS3601's and inserted the Classics...and once again I am amazed...listeing to Holly Cole, Alison...very intimite, very nice, open, clear, laid back...really sweet sounding....ha! I could live
with these anytime.....

Either the 3601's or the Classics are just fine..depends on what your audio Brian is set to for the day!!

Alex

I LOVE my Classic's! But I am still curious about the others. I do wonder if I will notice a large difference.

So often on the net you hear so much hype about products which you end up buying and then go huh??? (I am looking at you HD6XX's!)

At least in this case it is fairly inexpensive testing.

Shane D

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #490 of 719
Good review...

IMO the Classics are indeed laid back and softer all around than the Sparkos..
Seems like the Vivids which I do not have are like what the Sparkos provide.

So if your headphones are soft the Vivids or Sparkos will match well.

Alex

Alex, I have Vivids and mellow laid back phones, Nighthawks. I really find the combo stunning. I am considering snagging the Sparkos or 992.

While using the Sparkos did you ever find them to be too bright or sibilant with your HD600 cans?

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #491 of 719
WIth the SS3601's and the HD 600s I never thought they were too sibilant, but close to the edge depending on what your music is or how its recorded.
Playing some older Chicago, the brass, trumperts etc will sound really bright, and some think thats sibiliant...its harsh but if you ever get close to a brass ensemble or group playin gloud
its really harsh and trebly in real life as well..

So no, the 3601s are not sibiliant to me woth these cans....and I thought the classics were abit soft , but today the holograpy with them are just 100% great...

What a hobby eh!
Alex

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #492 of 719
WIth the SS3601's and the HD 600s I never thought they were too sibilant, but close to the edge depending on what your music is or how its recorded.
Playing some older Chicago, the brass, trumperts etc will sound really bright, and some think thats sibiliant...its harsh but if you ever get close to a brass ensemble or group playin gloud
its really harsh and trebly in real life as well..

So no, the 3601s are not sibiliant to me woth these cans....and I thought the classics were abit soft , but today the holograpy with them are just 100% great...

What a hobby eh!
Alex
That was a challenge for me as well, if something sounds unpleasant, is it because the opamp is distorting, or is it something unpleasant being accurately reproduced? In some cases, a softer, less accurate reproduction is more bearable, though technically inferior.

Indeed, what a hobby.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #493 of 719
That was a challenge for me as well, if something sounds unpleasant, is it because the opamp is distorting, or is it something unpleasant being accurately reproduced? In some cases, a softer, less accurate reproduction is more bearable, though technically inferior.

Indeed, what a hobby.

Hmmmmmm..........maybe the 992's are the way to go if the Sparkos are right on the hairy edge of bright, even using mellow HD600's. I want a hair more detail / clarity than the Vivids, just not TOO much!
Sounds like the story of the 3 bears.............'Just Right!'

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #494 of 719
Listening to the Beatles. "With the Beatles" Vintage 1963...even with the V6 Classics its like listening to razor blades...LOL...clear, transparent and all that just the recording is
well "lacking" but thats the way it is with some music....

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back