Burning in headphones
Aug 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MosinNagantMan

New Head-Fier
I've lightly looked into this, but it seems the topic is so loose there isn't a recommended way. Is there some sort of site or place I can get the proper audio to do this. I found this site and was wondering if this would be good enough for burning in: http://www.burninwave.com/

What volume should this be done in? How many times should I play through it?  Or should I even do it at all?

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 6
It's not worth the time or trouble. Just listen to your headphones.

I've listened to new headphones from the minute they came out of the box. I haven't heard them change nor have any of them been harmed by not going through with the ritual. All of them have been to a few meets and I've never heard a comment like, "these sound like they weren't burned-in."

You might want to see if there is a wrong way to burn-in headphones. One that would produce bad sound. Because if there isn't a wrong way, then how could there possibly be a right way?

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 6
You don't need any special gimmicks or websites or files to burn in. Burning in is just making the drivers do work so that they respond better after a while. Just put a playlist of all the songs on your computer in your music player, plug your headphones in, turn the volume up slightly higher than what would be comfortable for your own listening, and let it run overnight. After just one night, you should notice a difference in many (but not all) brand-new headphones. With more time it may or may not improve further. If you've already used your headphones a lot from brand-new, or bought them used, without thinking about burning in, there's a possibility nothing will happen. It's just about making the diaphragms move for a while after assembly, which happens organically usually while people are still "getting used to" their new headphones which causes some to write-off burn-in.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 6
just turn them on and let them rock. i avoid turning the volume up really high for about 24 hours though.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Be careful, some people will tell you that in order to do proper burn-in, you need to run various sine waves and frequency sweeps on your headphones for hours on end. Headphones are not designed to handle such unrealistic sound and can even be potentially damaged by such material. If you want to burn-in your cans, its best to simply put a playlist of your favorite songs on repeat.

Burn-in is like breaking-in shoes. You want to do it with your own feet, not someone elses and not with some scientifically designed ultra-feet :wink:

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 6
As has been said just create a playlist mix with various musical genres:  throw in some Jazz, Classical, Rock, Metal,  male and female vocalists, maybe some Opera and let it all play overnight at a medium volume.  Then, just listen and enjoy.  I've only had one headphone, a Grado 325, which seemingly changed significantly over an extended time of listening.  Most seemingly settle in nicely over the first few days.  Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back