Burning ath-m50 in
Jul 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RaidRoll

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers ,
So I got my new ath-m50 today and I want to burn them in properly. Should I use white/pink noise or should I just listen to music at normal volume. Is there any difference at burn in quality between pink/white noise and normal music. And lastly does an amp increase burn-in quality.

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't quite know if there is a proper way but I would think the best way is to use pink noise. This is because it gives each octave equal sound power thus meaning the burn in is even. I could be very wrong here though so I'd suggest getting this checked!

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Most people say burn-in can be done by playing any kind of noise--pink noise, white noise, or just your music--at slightly higher than regular listening levels.

Many others say burn-in is a myth and therefore a waste of time. :)

My advice: don't stress about it. Most likely your M50s won't change at all. Just put 'em on and start enjoying them.

And as far as your question about an amp increasing burn-in quality.....I think you're taking this way too seriously. Don't get me wrong, if after "burn-in" your M50s sound different then by all means, come back and tell us about it. But I highly doubt they will. The evidence suggests that its more about your ears and brain getting used to the sound characteristics of the headphones than it is about the headphones changing over time.

Others might feel differently.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Most people say burn-in can be done by playing any kind of noise--pink noise, white noise, or just your music--at slightly higher than regular listening levels.

Many others say burn-in is a myth and therefore a waste of time. :)

My advice: don't stress about it. Most likely your M50s won't change at all. Just put 'em on and start enjoying them.

And as far as your question about an amp increasing burn-in quality.....I think you're taking this way too seriously. Don't get me wrong, if after "burn-in" your M50s sound different then by all means, come back and tell us about it. But I highly doubt they will. The evidence suggests that its more about your ears and brain getting used to the sound characteristics of the headphones than it is about the headphones changing over time.

Others might feel differently.

Oh it does change. My friend has an ath-m50 and the day he bought it I tested it. It was still very very good without burn-in. But when he burned it in, bass got more punchy, mids got louder and less recessed and highs got A LOT more clearer. He used normal music to burn-in but he isn't a pro in hi-fi world too. So I just wanted to get opinion from someone with experience.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 12
It has been proven that "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on loop for exactly 273 hours and 43 seconds is the best method of burn in for the M50. But they must be worn nonstop during that time for it to work, if you break the cycle you must start again.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 12
just use your headphones as you usually would. you gotta give it some time. play music, watch a movie/video, play some games. itll take a few days but thats what i did with mine. if you're gonna just play pink noise (or whatever), you may as well just play dubstep. at least entertain yourself and use the headphones as intended. it took me about a week for the bass on my m50 to actually sound a lot more fuller compared to when i first got them. i was disappointed with the bass.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
just use your headphones as you usually would. you gotta give it some time. play music, watch a movie/video, play some games. itll take a few days but thats what i did with mine. if you're gonna just play pink noise (or whatever), you may as well just play dubstep. at least entertain yourself and use the headphones as intended. it took me about a week for the bass on my m50 to actually sound a lot more fuller compared to when i first got them. i was disappointed with the bass.

Thanks. I guess I will do that. But one last question. Do you use your m50 with or without an amp. If with, does it make a massive difference. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 12
When i bought them i didnt use an amp. I recently bought an hd598 with an asus dg. When i plugged in the m50 to the dg. The bass was so much better. It rumbled a lot more, which i like. An amp isnt necessary but its only $30 for an asus dg. Worth it imo.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 12
Many burn in guides say to play your music at a slightly higher than listening volume.  The ATH-M50 will probably not take a very long time or have a very dramatic effect.  Just leave em playing music overnight if you feel like it.  Use any type of noise if you wish.  I did not find an amplifier greatly increased the quality, but I did notice some extra bass impact as well.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
It has been proven that "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on loop for exactly 273 hours and 43 seconds is the best method of burn in for the M50. But they must be worn nonstop during that time for it to work, if you break the cycle you must start again.

true dat!
but it has to be on repeat not in a loop, plus, you have to scrobble it on last.fm to make it actually work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back