Burn Them In Or Listen Over Time
Jan 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to "Burn In "
Just put de HP on your head and play the music you like.
Burn In is a myth

X2..........check out this burn in thread and watch the video.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/c...t-burn-468257/

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better with tones apparently but music is fine.

I'd like to see some justification for this almost ritualistic method to burn-in.

How does playing a basic waveform in which basic movement occur produce more desirable results than complex movements from a complex waveform? Especially when the advertised purpose of burn-in is to "break the driver in" or "loosen it up". Noise would also work because, whilst its a fairly basic waveform it results in fairly complex movement.

Theres no point leaving your headphones in a drawer for a year and a half, just listen to them. Headphones don't sound bad prior to burn-in as a lot of people say.

You know why a lot of people think they sound bad? Because they expect them to. "OH these headphones aren't burnt in therefore they wont be up to MY refined taste tehe~", and then they approach them later with an open mind. I believe in burn-in but the difference is not even close to the drastic changes some people make it out to be.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #20 of 52
Some people can't afford new cans, like me
smile.gif
, so I rarely have to burn in. Most out of production cans are better than newer one's anyway
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to "Burn In "
Just put de HP on your head and play the music you like.
Burn In is a myth

+1. I can't believe somebody would ask "should I listen to music when i get my headphones or not?" no, just put them in a drawer playing pink noise. that will give you so much more enjoyment than (gasp) listening to music

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #22 of 52
Lol I never buy new headphones, too expensive and gotta wait for them to burn in anyway, even if it is a myth. Used is far easier and better imo
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 52
Frankly, I don't care whether burn in is real or not. If it exists, it'll happen whether you want it to or not. If it doesn't, your wasting electricity, and your own energy in doing so.
CAVEAT: It's your hobby! If burning in cans helps you enjoy them, THEN DO IT!!! None of us can make that call for you.

Enjoy those cans, and let's hear some impressions.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #25 of 52
In my opinion only (< disclaimer) ...

Listen to them from day one, straight out of the box. Why deny yourself? They'll sound great. They'll sound 99% as good as they ever will, they'll smooth out a bit over the first 20-25 hours of listening time if not sooner as the moving parts losen up and will not change one bit after that.

Of course over the next few hundred hours you will come to get used to them, notice new things about them and perhaps fall in love with them. Some people chose to call this "burn in" which is fine, but nothing physical is going on.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #26 of 52
Not fight over this again. Everyone has their own habit doing things. I always run them in for 1st 20~50 hours it depends on what it is, and listen over time after that.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbryann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to mine. I feel that a certain aspect of burn in is your ears getting used to the sound.

Yupper. I always burn in cans before measuring them, but haven't seen much if any measurable change. Some cans clearly need burn in (K701), but I do feel that getting your head to "adjust" to the new sound may be the most important factor. Especially if you only own one or two other headphones that your head has compensated for previously.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #28 of 52
I listen to mine out of the box when new and just let them burn in with listening. I do believe in certain burn in. sometimes when I leave home for a few hours I just leave them running, but I never let my headphone playing only for burn in purposes.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I damage or not burn in my headphones right?

No.

Burn in is ritual, ceremony and myth.

You cannot do something "wrong" if there's nothing doing in the first place.

For anyone who disagrees, please post in detail your belief as to the "wrong" way to burn in. I'll buy a pair and entirely screw up the burn in. I'll do every last thing the wrong way. I'll do this through June and take the completely "ruined" pair to CanJam.

Then I'll find another pair (or several) of the same model and we'll have a little listening contest to see if anyone can tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back