Burn-in times for AD8620, 8610, etc. opamps
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BRZ sounds a bit warmer and smooth to me. I've got both in my collection and compared them in the DAC filter/buffer section.

The "B" suffix part is in fact the same as the "A", the only difference is in tighter DC offset specifications (most likely selected from the same production line during testing). Such difference should have absolutely no relevance to its "sound".

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "B" suffix part is in fact the same as the "A", the only difference is in tighter DC offset specifications (most likely selected from the same production line during testing). Such difference should have absolutely no relevance to its "sound".

There you go again, trying to interject logic and reason into a discussion of burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wouldn't opamp burn-in imply that there is also transistor burn-in, and by extension voltage-regulator burn-in, and diode burn-in, as well? I've experienced diode burn-out, but that's about it.

What next, heatsink burn-in? My SOHA's been on for around 9000 hours, now; I suspect the molecules in the heatsinks are all aligned harmoniously by now, or something. Must be why it sounds so good...

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 24
There is a very interesting thesis floating around the web somewhere (can't find it at the moment) where with electron microscopy it can be demonstrated that favoured electrical pathways in some semi conductor devices develop over a period of time. The author I seem to remember was from Cambridge University here in the UK; he called this process "electron burrowing".
Regarding Arz v Brz variants of the 8610 devices I am totally with Makjel on this; of course I understand the Brz chips are selected because of bettered DC performance but then it can be demonstrated that DC offset has a direct relationship on transient intermodulation distortion so this might have a bearing as to why the Brz chips sound noticeably better in every situation where I have used them.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by buggalugs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it can be demonstrated that DC offset has a direct relationship on transient intermodulation distortion

Please show me a study where this is demonstrated.

Btw, in typical audio amplifier applications, the kind of DC offset difference seen between the AD8620A part and AD8620B part should amount to no more than a couple of mVs.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by buggalugs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a very interesting thesis floating around the web somewhere (can't find it at the moment) where with electron microscopy it can be demonstrated that favoured electrical pathways in some semi conductor devices develop over a period of time. The author I seem to remember was from Cambridge University here in the UK; he called this process "electron burrowing".

That sounds really cool. I'd love to read the thesis. Please post if you find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back