Burn-in. Real or not?
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #61 of 228

Quote:
That's because your brain gets adapted (naturally). Out of all the IEMs and headphones I own, I am sorry but burn in doesn't exist. The only audible difference is from burning in the IE7 but after I took a good break from it actually sounds the same. That leads me to the conclusion that burn in is what goes in your head. It's a good thing though - a good illusion is beneficial to listening pleasure.

That's odd...  Cause I've owned 2 ADDIEMs that both burned in...  One after another...  That's really odd.  Another thing to add is that they both burned in in the same exact rate...  My ears didn't adapt to anything the second time around, why would they change and follow the same pattern?

Another thing is odd is that each person adapts naturally at the same rate?  I think not, each human being should adapt differently if this hypothesis were to be correct due to the physical, mental, emotional, and psychological differences among how they think, react, and adapt.  Your hypothesis (that we adapt naturally and burn in is psychological) fails to address this big fact here and explain why everyone adapts at the same rate when each persons psyche is different (thusly they should adapt at a different rate)... 

Just because you don't hear the difference doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  As I've stated, people's sensitivity to a change in change in sound (change over time) differ, which will result in some people hearing the grand difference and some not... 

Quite frankly, I can make some ambiguous claim on how not hearing the difference is psychological, instead, I'd rather give evidence on how it's not, and why it's not. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #62 of 228

Quote:
Just because you don't hear the difference doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  As I've stated, people's sensitivity to a change in change in sound (change over time) differ, which will result in some people hearing the grand difference and some not...

I agree with you here. Burn in doesn't exist yet for me.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #63 of 228

Quote:
That's because your brain gets adapted (naturally). Out of all the IEMs and headphones I own, I am sorry but burn in doesn't exist. The only audible difference is from burning in the IE7 but after I took a good break from it actually sounds the same. That leads me to the conclusion that burn in is what goes in your head. It's a good thing though - a good illusion is beneficial to listening pleasure.

I highly doubt this although we all have the rights to our own opinions. When I got my IE7s they sounded half decent out of the box but within a few short hours they really started to sound like garbage (This is comparing them to well burned in IE8s mind you). The bass was uncontrolled and flabby, treble was very harsh and vocals lifeless. I literally could not stand to listen to them. I continually burned them in using my Fiio E9 amp hooked to my former Sansa Fuze+ for a week. Things gradually got better as the days went by. I stopped burning them in (without listening to them) at 220 hours. They sounded really good at that point and it only served to cement the "notion" that burn in does exist. I've owned 2 brand new pairs of IE8s and even the burn in of those were different (I'm assuming my sources had an effect on this as the latter pair got better amping). The IE7s were my only dynamic IEM to exhibit such a huge difference from garbage to glam, where I had to actually burn them in while not listening. Generally I was able to listen to my other equipment and listen to the actual changes over time. I did some burn in sessions on my denons though to help smooth out the treble some. I do feel that some may take the burn in period a bit overboard. I figure just play multiple genres of music in constant cycle at a volume a bit over comfortable level but of course give the drivers some time to rest as well. I feel that using a more powerful source is also beneficial in speeding up the process (Good amping good source, flac etc). I see no need for pink or white noise lol.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #64 of 228
An interesting question. It might be worthwhile to do an experiment, buy couple identical earphones and make sure they sound the same when the boxes are just opened. Burn-in only one for like 100 hours or even longer, then listen them again side by side to see any differences could be observed. Saying if burn-in makes differences or not on one phone may not be that conclusive.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #65 of 228

Quote:
An interesting question. It might be worthwhile to do an experiment, buy couple identical earphones and make sure they sound the same when the boxes are just opened. Burn-in only one for like 100 hours or even longer, then listen them again side by side to see any differences could be observed. Saying if burn-in makes differences or not on one phone may not be that conclusive.

Agreed but its also not very cost-effective either.
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #66 of 228
every CE product is an electronic device who has either one or multiple e-components, and each e-components has its life cycle. in their mid-age, they have a more stable performance. Duration from new-born to mid-age varies, and the combination of components will be more complicated. 

Plus every ear is different (even between your right and left). So it's really hard to say. But general public's believe is to have burn-in IF you have NO idea how to deal with yours. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #67 of 228
I personally do not believe in burn in. But when I bought my Monster Turbines, they sounded horrible right out of the box, but after at least 5 hours of burn-in, they started to settle down and sound good. So I'm sure it's just a myth. One can never be too sure.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #68 of 228
See the sound science sub-forum. Lengthy debate, but to date there is not much evidence to show that "burn-in" provides any audible difference, much less that it should be regularly recommended. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #69 of 228

Quote:
I personally do not believe in burn in. But when I bought my Monster Turbines, they sounded horrible right out of the box, but after at least 5 hours of burn-in, they started to settle down and sound good. So I'm sure it's just a myth. One can never be too sure.

You just showed an example of burn in...  If you didn't believe in burn in, you wouldn't have those observations.

Quote:
See the sound science sub-forum. Lengthy debate, but to date there is not much evidence to show that "burn-in" provides any audible difference, much less that it should be regularly recommended. 

Multiple user observations that support the outcomes of frequency graphs is not evidence because non-believers doubt it...  They will continue to doubt it until the end of time, regardless of what evidence comes out (cause from what I've read here, and on other forums, that's all they do; they give no evidence on why it doesn't exist) just stating that everything is inaccurate and can't be trusted (similar to how many philosophical skeptics didn't trust their own senses).  This skeptical mentality at this point isn't skeptical, it instead is incorrect; and absurd (read on)  Quite honestly, a doubt with no end is not a doubt at all (differs skeptics who can actually prove something, from just straight doubters).  Also, at the point when the doubter has been presented with a fare amount of evidence (frequency graphs, observations, theories supported by by both observations and frequency graphs) they themselves must relinquish their stance as it becomes absurd. 

*If you don't understand why this is absurd, ask for my little allegory/example that parallels this.

As I've stated numerous times, non-believers need to stop doubting and putting out information on, not only why it doesn't exist, but a practical reason on how it doesn't exist (EG, answer the question of why some hear, and some don't).  Psychological reason has become invalidated in this thread already since everyone's headphone magically breaks in at the same rate which won't happen if we all have different brains).

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #70 of 228
Ok - briefly... doubting non-existent evidence is not a flaw on the part of the doubters. Subjective impressions, without objective measurements do not count as evidence. They can support actual evidence, but our brains are too good at adapting and there are so many psychological (not to mention physical - pad break in, for instance) other factors, not to mention our really, measurably BAD audio memory, that impressions, alone - mean very little. 

This is not because we are perpetual doubters. It's because our standards of evidence mean something. Show me actual repeatable, testable evidence and I'll spin on a dime and support this. My position is the null hypothesis. Until is it show to be, it cannot be claimed as fact to be.

Quote:
As I've stated numerous times, non-believers need to stop doubting and putting out information on, not only why it doesn't exist, but a practical reason on how it doesn't exist (EG, answer the question of why some hear, and some don't).

No. The burden of proof is on someone making a positive claim of something. Not on me to show why your claim is bunk. 

Quote:
Also, at the point when the doubter has been presented with a fare amount of evidence (frequency graphs, observations, theories supported by by both observations and frequency graphs) they themselves must relinquish their stance as it becomes absurd. 

Show me these frequency graphs showing audible changes - then we'll talk. Even Tyl's graphs (the only ones I've seen in support) showed changes on the very small fractions of decibles, and did not account for sample variation and any number of other testing errors. A fact he acknowledges. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #71 of 228

Quote:

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #72 of 228

Quote:
Ok - briefly... doubting non-existent evidence is not a flaw on the part of the doubters. Subjective impressions, without objective measurements do not count as evidence. They can support actual evidence, but our brains are too good at adapting and there are so many psychological (not to mention physical - pad break in, for instance) other factors, not to mention our really, measurably BAD audio memory, that impressions, alone - mean very little. 

This is not because we are perpetual doubters. It's because our standards of evidence mean something. Show me actual repeatable, testable evidence and I'll spin on a dime and support this. My position is the null hypothesis. Until is it show to be, it cannot be claimed as fact to be.

No. The burden of proof is on someone making a positive claim of something. Not on me to show why your claim is bunk. 

Show me these frequency graphs showing audible changes - then we'll talk. Even Tyl's graphs (the only ones I've seen in support) showed changes on the very small fractions of decibles, and did not account for sample variation and any number of other testing errors. A fact he acknowledges. 

Outside of Tyl's graphs (I'll explain more on this in a bit), we have shown you 2-3 other graphs that I can remember on Head-Fi.  Will I find them again, they are long gone, you can look if you feel.  They were just thrown out the window and doubted for accuracy.  Everything to you guys seems innacurate.  I know other factors come into play, sure they do.  However, the apparent change cannot be accounted for human error after these observations have been done, and confirmed time and time again.  Everyone (that hears the burn in) hears these changes, and not only do they hear these changes, the hear them over the same time frame.  This second part in itself debunks that it's psychological...  If it was, we would actually hear this change in a different time frame.  As for bad memory, you have to remember, one persons memory may not be trustable, but when 50+ people report the same results for a given IEM (reduces your padding claim to null here) those results must be accepted, other wise it looks foolish to doubt those results (what you just did with the numerous observations). 

A lack of proof against the argument that doesn't rely on psychological (since this was debunked before you above) or doubting accuracy shows invalidity in that stance.  You keep giving the same reasons over and over.  We give you data, and observations, you doubt it as being accurate.  Now, who does this look bad?  Let me give you a parallel example:

One doubter stands, not trusting his senses (doesn't believe in them, or just doesn't have them).  One person stands there and tells him there is a cat on the mat.  These are two physical objects, a cat that is sitting on a mat.  The doubter doesn't believe it, he doubts himself, and the other person (let alone, he himself might not see the cat).  So that one person brings another to come and confirm that that cat is indeed on the mat.  Once more, the doubter doubts the accuracy and validity of both people.  So the man goes out once more and brings back 20 people to tell the skeptic there is a cat on the mat.  Once more, the skeptic does what he does best, doubt with the same reason (you're senses are invalid and inaccurate; not to mention, it could be psychological, you can be hallucinating).  He goes out to bring 200 people...  You get the point, the doubter keeps calling the following into question (accuracy, validity, psychological).

Now, that example has nothing to do with audio until you change cat on the mat to burn in.  Then it makes sense.  A skeptic is just that, doubting all accuracy and observation regardless of how many tell them about it.  They deny all claims due to the reason of inaccuracy.  Is this not what you're doing?  When presented with observations, and graphs, you deny that they are true, or find some excuse to make them invalid?  Aren't you being a full on 100% skeptic here?  Believe it or not, that story above parallels perfectly what is happening here.  You state this, "...not to mention our really, measurably BAD audio memory, that impressions, alone - mean very little."  When you do this, do you not doubt validity and accuracy of what countless people have found (please note that IEMs do not have pads that break in and the psychological factors are broken above).

Now on to Tyl's graphs...  You're right, for one frequency range, there is very little change, at most, I saw a 2dB change.  Although audible, was very small change.  However, music in itself (why test 1 frequency alone when any given instrument cannot create a pure tone of one frequency) uses multiple frequency ranges for a given note.  So now we don't have one frequency (what you are comparing), but a number of frequencies.  How do we measure change in that?  An integral, more importantly, the integral of the absolute value of the freq graphs subtracted from each other so the integral would look like this:

S(|f(l)| - |g(l)|)dl

S = integral symbol
l = dB output
f = end function of dB vs frequency
g = original function of dB vs frequency

Range for this integral will be actually any range for a given sound (as this is what we hear a difference in).  For some reason we don't listen to pure tones in our everyday music, why base your tests on it?

So 2 dB for a given frequency, that goes up and down will create a huge overall change in sound.  When you take all those little changes and add them up, they turn into a big change which will end up with a substantial enough change in a given note of an instrument.  So although Tyl's graph shows small changes, the small changes (looking at the .5 dB spikes and other .2-.4 dB spikes; heck there are even some 2 dB changes here and there) added together create a change in sound that is bigger in itself as we are now looking at change over a frequency range (not one given frequency). 

Now secondly, you also have to remember that a spike in some frequency can change the entire change in the perception in the entire frequency.  A spike here = a small subtle loss everywhere else.  At it's core, this loss is small, however, adding up all the the additions and subtractions, this loss grows.  If you add bass and treble, do you not recess the mids?  If you add mids do you not recess the bass and treble?  Looking at the grand scheme of things, small change is big over the entire spectrum. 

Just something to think about.  We shouldn't be basing graphs on one frequency range, instead, the entire frequency range, and getting area between (requires an integral) them to get accurate numbers of overall change for a given frequency range. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #73 of 228
^2x

What some listeners fail to understand is that the very small changes after burn in that are measurable should not be dismissed, they are very audible.  Just like one drop of water can cause an already absolutely full glass of water to overflow.  You will notice it when it happens due to even the smallest change.  Another thing some people must come to terms with is that they simply have bad hearing and cannot pick up on the subtle differences, nor have the auditory memory that is resilient enough to accurately recall exactly what it sounded like new as well as after any amount of hours of usage.  

Burn in is definitely real in both a physical sense as well as psychological.  Electrical components change over a short period of time and those very small physical changes are indeed audible.  If you can't hear it in some sets known to change significantly after X amount of hours, then I am very sorry to have to be the one to inform you that you have hearing problems or are just not listening properly.  Focus on the bass, the mids, the highs, separation, any hint of coloration changes, pick something like that to focus on when you first get your headphones and then look for changes after some usage.  There are also psychological changes in that your ears must learn to adjust.  Take Ultrasones S logic technology for example. The majority of Ultrasone users will tell you that your ears need a short time to adjust and full grasp the soundstage.  I've experienced this many times with the Ultrasone models I've owned, when I first listened to them I really didn't at all notice anything special about the stage qualities, after some use it was like a kamehameha to the face in that I just couldnt accept my ears were "stupid" enough to not realize what they were hearing at first.  After my ears got used to the Slogic, the sound literally blossomed and bloomed into a massive cavernous type sound vs the flat oddly shaped sound I had originally hear the instant I first tried it.  

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #74 of 228
If you own IE8's, especially a new pair after sending one for repair than you know burn in is real. IE8's sound like absolute garbage out of the box. I would never spend that much money if they didn't burn in. I simply can't tell you it's all in my head since my first pair got progressively more awesome and the second pair sounded pretty terrible out of the box after listening to my first for so long. After a long burn in session they sounded like they should. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #75 of 228

Quote:
Everyone (that hears the burn in) hears these changes, and not only do they hear these changes, the hear them over the same time frame.  This second part in itself debunks that it's psychological... 

I don't disagree with this - but even if they do hear these changes, we should not leap to "burn in" being the reason. Equally (or more) plausible, it has been shown that the brain has an adaptive hearing function. That is, you get *used* to the sound of something over time - a time period that may be relatively consistent with these observations and would explain the similarity in results. You can test this yourself swapping between two headphones of very different sound signatures. The differences between the two will be very apparent for a while (with the K702, going to them from my Grados - they initially sound harsh, every time), then gradually, you get used to that and the harshness goes away - an observation consistent with every report of "burn in" effects. This is a function of listening to the same sound signature for that period of time, not the headphones themselves changing.

Quote:
At it's core, this loss is small, however, adding up all the the additions and subtractions, this loss grows.  If you add bass and treble, do you not recess the mids?  If you add mids do you not recess the bass and treble?  Looking at the grand scheme of things, small change is big over the entire spectrum. 

Quite the assertion. You are assuming these changes don't cancel each other out. And no, I do not think that these changes are cumulative in the way that you seem to. A .4 db change in one part of the spectrum doesn't magically multiply into being audible just because it is now in music rather than a tone test. It's still only a .4db change and WELL below audibility. Further - that is a change small enough to be well within the +/- error in the testing process. Do the same test tomorrow and you may get no results at all, or different results... this is not an unfair "doubting of accuracy" - if a reported change falls within the margin of error for the methodology used, you can't claim with any certainty at all that the results are what you want them to be. That's basic statistics and reporting. Sorry. 

I'll be curious to see the other data you reference. I'm not familiar with it, myself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back