Burn-in. Real or not?
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #46 of 228

Quote:
Tinyman, I didn't disagree with you. I was talking about the other poster. I very much believe in burn in myself.

Oh, LOL, OK. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #48 of 228
"Believe" is a very dangerous word, because it takes the matter of whether you are ignorant or not out of your hands.

If you choose not to "believe" something that turns out not to be true, congratulations, you're a justified skeptic.
If, on the other hand, what you choose not to believe turns out to be true, the English word for that is "ignorant".
Better one should say "I don't perceive it".  At least then you're off the hook and still telling the truth.

High-end audio is always on shaky ground because of the all the silly crap that some goofy people believe,
but it's not all silly crap and it's not all goofy people.

If it matters, I let the recording rig warm up for a couple hours before getting to work, and that's as close as I get to "burning in".

Sog

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 228

Quote:
I even feel BA have a potential for some burn in but its generally very subtle when compared to dynamics.

I hear the change too in all BAs I've heard obviously more than others.  Etymotics are the slowest changing so the actual audible differences are close to none, but the treble does settle down a bit.  My Phonaks (both the 022 and 232s), Apple IEMs, and Brainwavz B2s burned in as well. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #50 of 228

Can't argue there. But I trust my ears :) Of course one can be the victim of placebo effect but that also entails the individual wanting to hear or perceive something their way and not taking into account reality. If this was totally the  case then my last pair of hi end IEMS (EX1000s) would have been the creme of the crop and they wouldn't have sounded like sibilant garbage, which is not the case. I went into that purchase expecting a significant upgrade from my re-cabled IE8s and didn't get that expected upgrade (placebo?). In this case I would have loved for that placebo effect to have kicked in
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
"Believe" is a very dangerous word, because it takes the matter of whether you are ignorant or not out of your hands.

If you choose not to "believe" something that turns out not to be true, congratulations, you're a justified skeptic.
If, on the other hand, what you choose not to believe turns out to be true, the English word for that is "ignorant".
Better one should say "I don't perceive it".  At least then you're off the hook and still telling the truth.

High-end audio is always on shaky ground because of the all the silly crap that some goofy people believe,
but it's not all silly crap and it's not all goofy people.

If it matters, I let the recording rig warm up for a couple hours before getting to work, and that's as close as I get to "burning in".

Sog

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #51 of 228

Quote:
Can't argue there. But I trust my ears :) Of course one can be the victim of placebo effect but that also entails the individual wanting to hear or perceive something their way and not taking into account reality. If this was totally the  case then my last pair of hi end IEMS (EX1000s) would have been the creme of the crop and they wouldn't have sounded like sibilant garbage, which is not the case. I went into that purchase expecting a significant upgrade from my re-cabled IE8s and didn't get that expected upgrade (placebo?). In this case I would have loved for that placebo effect to have kicked in
rolleyes.gif

Placebos are strong, and at times can perform miracles (cancer, psychological problems, and other diseases have been cured with a placebo; obviously we aren't sure why)...  However, they don't work for everything :frowning2:  Wish they did though :p

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #52 of 228

Quote:
Placebos are strong, and at times can perform miracles (cancer, psychological problems, and other diseases have been cured with a placebo; obviously we aren't sure why)...  However, they don't work for everything :frowning2:  Wish they did though :p

Yeah supposedly the brain has the power to heal the body when properly in synch with the spine. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 becoming unaligned is a major contributing factor to health issues in general.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #53 of 228
BAs for sure burn in, they tend to sound more natural over time. i wish my a151 would burn in more! theyre so rolled off

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #55 of 228

Quote:
I think with BA IEM's, even with burn in, the changes would be very minimal, if any, none of my BA IEM's sound change after prolonged usage

Yeah, the ADDIEMs have pretty substantial burn in, the PFE 232s have even more...  The change is huge, especially in the PFE midrange, the gain of energy is essential for those IEMs :p 

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #56 of 228

Quote:
BAs for sure burn in, they tend to sound more natural over time. i wish my a151 would burn in more! theyre so rolled off

That's because your brain gets adapted (naturally). Out of all the IEMs and headphones I own, I am sorry but burn in doesn't exist. The only audible difference is from burning in the IE7 but after I took a good break from it actually sounds the same. That leads me to the conclusion that burn in is what goes in your head. It's a good thing though - a good illusion is beneficial to listening pleasure.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #57 of 228

Quote:
That's because your brain gets adapted (naturally). Out of all the IEMs and headphones I own, I am sorry but burn in doesn't exist. The only audible difference is from burning in the IE7 but after I took a good break from it actually sounds the same. That leads me to the conclusion that burn in is what goes in your head. It's a good thing though - a good illusion is beneficial to listening pleasure.

I beg to differ, kind sir

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #58 of 228

Quote:

well i have owned about 5 cc51s, and on each one, like clockwork, when i first got them, the mids were horribly harsh and sibilant then after about 10 hours of so of listening to music the new cc51 would sound like the previous pair. i've even compared a fresh cc51 to one i had used for a month before it broke and i noticed a change in SQ

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #60 of 228
fine 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back