Burn-in myth
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 150

KriLi

New Head-Fier
I also replied this in another thread but wanted to share this with all of you.

Some might say burn does affect SQ/frequency response, some say it's a myth. Here is the proof: Headphone Burn-in Test

I asked Dave Rat about those specific headphones in the vid and how much impact burn-in would have on the frequency response. So this is 1 proof burn-in is a myth.

For the people that are positively sure that burn-in is real, show us some proof it isn’t a myth.

There are more vids by him searching for headphones called "The Mighty Headphone Quest" and much more info on the testing on his blog(already 6 parts) found in his profile.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 150
lies

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 150
deadhorse.gif
facepalm!

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 150
Ha, ha. How much weed did Mr. Rat smoke before going "live?"

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, ha. How much weed did Mr. Rat smoke before going "live?"

rofl

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 150
A frequency response graph isn't the ultimate measure of how a headphone sounds. You can have two headphones with identical FR graphs that sound completely different. One may be analytical and quick while the other is slow and smooth yet they both have the same FR graph.

A waterfall graph would be more useful than a simple frequency response graph. But even then a waterfall graph is not the ultimate measure for quantifying sound characteristics that may or may not change due to burn-in.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A frequency response graph isn't the ultimate measure of how a headphone sounds. You can have two headphones with identical FR graphs that sound completely different. One may be analytical and quick while the other is slow and smooth yet they both have the same FR graph.

But then you're talking about 2 different headphones right? and not comparing stock and burned in headphones.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 150
my ears have lied to me all these years , i could swear blind that my gs1k sounded crap for the first 300 hrs i must be mad they must have sounded great all along , i feel so foolish thankyou for showing me the light.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 150
While I do hear differences between cables, I've never found a cable to change it's tonal qualities regardless of how many hours are put on it. What usually happens is that your equipment warms up and that's why the sound changes.

Some people even say that you have to let a cable or cord re-burn in after you unplug it for countless hours. I also feel that this is nonsense.

If you guys are claiming to hear differences with your headphones on the same cable over a duration of time, it could be due to the transducer loosening up over time. But I have never heard any headphone which I could conclusively say this is happening to, including the K701/2 (which has more talk of burn-in making a difference than any other headphone) and the HD800.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 150
I haven't heard burn-in on headphones yet, but even just with the theory of burn-in, frequency response is about the least likely measure of sound quality to change over time with the same headphone. Ham Sandwich has it -- if burn-in is caused by the mechanical parts of a headphone driver loosening up, then the most likely aspect of the sound to change is the timing of the sounds: the attack, the sustain, and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back