Building my M^3 and two Sigma11
Nov 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oporto

Head-Fier
Hi,

Ages ago I started this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/569141/help-building-m3#post_7722052 asking for help/advice to start building my M^3.

It took me a while, but all the bits and pieces have arrive from all over the world and its time to put everything together.

Here some pictures!

As you can see I started with the Sigma11 first, I will start with the M^3 today tho : )

Let me know if the images die or if there is a better place to upload them

UPDATE 26/11/2011

Just a few pictures, couldnt do much, busy day at work...

But please let me know what you thing : )  THANKS!

Sorry for the bad image quality : /

By the way, I havent cut the legs completely because if I have to resolder any of the components it will be as easy as new to resolder, its a pain to resolder a component with the legs completely cut off.

Hi, I just want to confirm where and which wires connect to the green sockets. I have a 25VA double 12V. What I have figure out so far is that I have to connect RED and ORANGE to the middles ones and black to the first one (left) and white to the last (right). is this correct? or it doesnt really matter what way they go? (black and white/ red and orange) and on the input cables,  brown is LIVE and blue is NEUTRAL right? violet and white are ground? 

As you can see im not an expert, and I cant always get help from my mate who is helping me. all its left is the this, the wiring and grounding and the resistors for the LEDs which I need to go buy.

Any kind of help/recommendation will be appreciated. THANK YOU!

By the way, this is the Sigma11 that will power the M^3

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 16
yeah, since there isnt any mechanism to power this amp dual mono i dont get it. you cant even do it by hacking traces, you can however use S22 by not populating the ground channel.

maybe for a volume control board?

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
yeah, since there isnt any mechanism to power this amp dual mono i dont get it. you cant even do it by hacking traces, you can however use S22 by not populating the ground channel.

maybe for a volume control board?

Quote:
Good luck with your build. I am sure it will be a most rewarding project.

Quick question though, why two sigma11s?

My bad, forgot to mention that one is for the M^3 and the other one is for the y2 full++ that I bought from MisterX

And thanks, I hope I dont have to resolder anything once its built

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 16
Ummm...you might want to put some shrink tubing or tape on the helping hands claws.  Your PC board(s) will love you for it!  Just sayin'!

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, my boards are loving it!

wink.gif
  You're welcome!

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 16
there is no such thing as ground with AC on a transformer, there is no connection to ground

white and brown are your live wires, violet and blue are neutral. where are you? this will decide whether you use the primaries in series (230vac) or parallel (115vac)

for the secondaries just put them in order from left to right across the 4 inputs black-red-orange-grey, as the secondaries (if you have 2 as you do) are put in series with the red and orange connected in the 2 center inputs. this way a transformer with a center tap can be used by leaving the center unconnected, or connected to either of the 2 middle terminals, or even one that only has a single secondary can be connected to the outer 2 terminals only

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

Are violet and blue truly neutral? or per this picture/label - are they duplicate taps to the white/brown? Or am I misunderstanding and you need a live + neutral to make it work? (AC always throws me - Edison's DC just makes more sense to my brain). 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Are violet and blue truly neutral? or per this picture/label - are they duplicate taps to the white/brown? Or am I misunderstanding and you need a live + neutral to make it work? (AC always throws me - Edison's DC just makes more sense to my brain). 

Hi, thank you very much, that is the information I needed. I am in Sydney, Australia : )

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 16
I hope you meant to quote qusp's post - not mine. Mine was a bunch of questions. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
there is no such thing as ground with AC on a transformer, there is no connection to ground

white and brown are your live wires, violet and blue are neutral. where are you? this will decide whether you use the primaries in series (230vac) or parallel (115vac)

for the secondaries just put them in order from left to right across the 4 inputs black-red-orange-grey, as the secondaries (if you have 2 as you do) are put in series with the red and orange connected in the 2 center inputs. this way a transformer with a center tap can be used by leaving the center unconnected, or connected to either of the 2 middle terminals, or even one that only has a single secondary can be connected to the outer 2 terminals only

Hi mate, thanks a lot for this info, it was just what I needed. : )

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

i'm afraid i dont understand the question. blue and white is one primary and violet and brown is the second primary. this is what is called a universal voltage transformer. it will work in countries that have 115v like the US, by connecting blue and violet together in parallel to neutral and brown and white together to live. for us here we would connect the white to the violet to connect the 2 primaries in series and insulate that connection (trimmed short first if you plan it to be permanent) and then connect the blue to neutral and the brown to live

in short YES they are truly neutral, not ground, neutral and live are 2 ends of the same transformer winding, you do indeed need both (live and neutral) to form a circuit. past that i'm afraid i'm going to leave the research up to you, its covered many times on the net already and my explanation sure isnt going to add anything that hasnt been covered before.

good luck!!

Quote:
Hi mate, thanks a lot for this info, it was just what I needed. : )

haha no worries, 2nd time's a charm eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back