Building a Headphone Measurement Lab
Jun 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #331 of 355
Quote:
Besides free field HF attenuation, there are many other factors that proper headphone voicing compensates for, including the acoustic "shadow" created by one's pinna.

I know about that but I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge to explain it detail.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #333 of 355

Quote:
Unfortunately many typical run of the mill studios and even some really good ones use the ubiquitous NS-10 Yamaha near-field monitor for mixdowns, whose midband frequency response totally sucks.  It is terribly colored.  The best studios are now starting to pay attention to high accuracy monitoring cans and use them in conjunction with speakers to arrive at a good mix, along with replacing the NS-10s with something more accurate. (almost anything is more accurate.)

They use NS-10's for a very specific reason--it is a great representation of the sound of typical consumer products or the PA system public places use to pipe in background music. It also puts a microscope on the critical mid-range. But all studios I know do not use the NS-10's as the only monitors--they also have large full-range systems or more accurate/neutral pairs. The NS-10's are really more like specialty tools, and they are not really used as the main monitors. There are also plenty of engineers who never agreed with the way the NS-10's are used and don't bother with them, relying on full-range systems instead. These days, the relevance of the NS-10's are diminishing, especially that reference monitor technology has marched on quite far since the NS-10's were first made. Today, most studios use monitors like the Focal Twins, Klein + Hummel O300D's, Barefoot MicroMain 27's, B&W's, PMC, ATC, Adam, Genelec, Dynaudio, ...etc. Some might use specialty monitors like the Avantone MixCube in addition for the same reason others use the NS-10's--to check that critical mid-range.

But yes, it's true that they are just recently starting to become hip to the fast evolving headphones market. Many really don't know anything about headphones beyond the standard AKG studio staples or the Sennheiser HD580/600/650. But I'm seeing a shift in the recent years as they are starting to pay more attention. Most still hold that belief that headphones aren't suitable for serious audio work during mixing and mastering, and their main arguments has always been that whole "sound in your head" thing. But now with all the crossfeed options available, and wonderful plugins like the Isone Pro or Redline Monitor, I think more and more people will jump on the headphone wagon.

I recently had a bit of a revelation that made me appreciate headphones even more. I have a home studio I constructed from the ground up, did tons of research, read books, consulted experts...etc, and it's acoustically very well treated (you can check out photos at my website). I thought my 300D's had sounded great in my studio, and I assumed they were fairly neutral--to the point I was using them as the standard in which to judge my headphones. Well, I recently bought the IK Multimedia ARC System, and after testing and calibrating, I realize even in a well-treated room, there were still problems with spikes and dips in certain frequency ranges, and the imaging wasn't perfect either due to furniture and audio gear in the room (it's impossible to place everything in perfect symmetry). Now, with the corrections applied by the ARC, my O300D's sound even more smooth and neutral, and the little things I wasn't totally happy with are now all gone. And when I now compare my headphones to the corrected sound of the O300D's, I realize headphones have the great advantage of never having to interact with the room, no need to stay in the sweet spot, are so portable, and you can own a whole collection of them and they won't take up too much room. With plugins like Isone Pro, I think they sound just as compelling as full-range speakers, and I almost don't mind that the physical sensation of the sub-bass hitting my chest is missing with headphones, because it's about the only drawback compared to the overwhelming advantages headphones have.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #334 of 355

Quote:
They use NS-10's for a very specific reason--it is a great representation of the sound of typical consumer products or the PA system public places use to pipe in background music. It also puts a microscope on the critical mid-range. But all studios I know do not use the NS-10's as the only monitors--they also have large full-range systems or more accurate/neutral pairs. The NS-10's are really more like specialty tools, and they are not really used as the main monitors. There are also plenty of engineers who never agreed with the way the NS-10's are used and don't bother with them, relying on full-range systems instead. These days, the relevance of the NS-10's are diminishing, especially that reference monitor technology has marched on quite far since the NS-10's were first made. Today, most studios use monitors like the Focal Twins, Klein + Hummel O300D's, Barefoot MicroMain 27's, B&W's, PMC, ATC, Adam, Genelec, Dynaudio, ...etc. Some might use specialty monitors like the Avantone MixCube in addition for the same reason others use the NS-10's--to check that critical mid-range.

But yes, it's true that they are just recently starting to become hip to the fast evolving headphones market. Many really don't know anything about headphones beyond the standard AKG studio staples or the Sennheiser HD580/600/650. But I'm seeing a shift in the recent years as they are starting to pay more attention. Most still hold that belief that headphones aren't suitable for serious audio work during mixing and mastering, and their main arguments has always been that whole "sound in your head" thing. But now with all the crossfeed options available, and wonderful plugins like the Isone Pro or Redline Monitor, I think more and more people will jump on the headphone wagon.

I recently had a bit of a revelation that made me appreciate headphones even more. I have a home studio I constructed from the ground up, did tons of research, read books, consulted experts...etc, and it's acoustically very well treated (you can check out photos at my website). I thought my 300D's had sounded great in my studio, and I assumed they were fairly neutral--to the point I was using them as the standard in which to judge my headphones. Well, I recently bought the IK Multimedia ARC System, and after testing and calibrating, I realize even in a well-treated room, there were still problems with spikes and dips in certain frequency ranges, and the imaging wasn't perfect either due to furniture and audio gear in the room (it's impossible to place everything in perfect symmetry). Now, with the corrections applied by the ARC, my O300D's sound even more smooth and neutral, and the little things I wasn't totally happy with are now all gone. And when I now compare my headphones to the corrected sound of the O300D's, I realize headphones have the great advantage of never having to interact with the room, no need to stay in the sweet spot, are so portable, and you can own a whole collection of them and they won't take up too much room. With plugins like Isone Pro, I think they sound just as compelling as full-range speakers, and I almost don't mind that the physical sensation of the sub-bass hitting my chest is missing with headphones, because it's about the only drawback compared to the overwhelming advantages headphones have.

I agree, and BTW, I've seen pictures of your studio and your studio looks awesome!  Keep up the good work!

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #335 of 355
Doesn't Beyer make a Headzone for Pros? I wonder how that's getting used in studios and if the technology is picking at all.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #336 of 355
Here is the proper way to monitor in the studio:

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #337 of 355

Quote:

Actually, the 802s aren't ll that great as monitors.  They're colored rather than being neutral.  They'd make a nice bedroom monitor though.  You can send me a 5.0 system, can't you?  
atsmile.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #338 of 355

Placement doesn't appear to be ideal with the large drivers placed right in front of the back of the console. Even if low freqs are nondirectional, having hard obstacles right in front of drivers is a no no.

Also, hard wooden floors for a studio? Well, I guess you can always add a rug there.

Quote:

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #339 of 355
This engineer is mixing a lot of 5.1 tracks I think.  Now that's an EQ, so many knobs, where to start?
smile.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #340 of 355

Quote:
Placement doesn't appear to be ideal with the large drivers placed right in front of the back of the console. Even if low freqs are nondirectional, having hard obstacles right in front of drivers is a no no.

Also, hard wooden floors for a studio? Well, I guess you can always add a rug there.

It's a really cool looking picture though!  
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #342 of 355

Quote:
I do wonder what the big mainfields in the background are though.

You mean these monitor speakers?

They're Bowers & Wilkins 800 series

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #343 of 355
No, the big black boxes above the the B & W, I suspect a high-end pair of ATCs though I really can't identify them.

EDIT: Tracked the image down, it's the control room of the studio 3 at Abbey road, it's a pair of Quested monitors.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #344 of 355

Quote:

That photo always bugged me the same way (the drivers being blocked by the console).

As for the wood floor, a lot of engineers prefer to have at least one live surface instead of a completely dead room, which tends to sound a bit unnatural to them. There's probably not enough reflecting sound off the floor anyway from their listening position, and probably not enough bouncing around the room due to the way the shape is designed or acoustically treated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back