Buffalo II Update
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To Get incredible sound you only need 4 modules:

1) Buffalo II + Placid $289
2) IVY III + Placid BP $139

Then you will need two transformers about $42.

So all the major parts will be about $470

The rest is just switches, jacks, and wiring bits.

For $30 more you get the Volumite and Firmware for Buf-II.

Still less than you will pay for the ESS9018 demo board (about $670).
smily_headphones1.gif

What else can I say.

Cheers!
Russ

yes the new costs and options are considerably better value, but add international shipping, plus top shelf input and output jacks, plus very nice case (and the shipping for this), higher quality transformers (and the shipping for this) and you still go well over my stated 750. whether all of that is needed is up to the individual, as you can probably get similar performance with less; but that is the reality especially living in a country that doesnt really have to many local options for these things, that shipping adds a great deal to the cost. just my 3 sumR transformers was nearly 300 with shipping as they are quite bulky and heavy. now of course you could totally DIY a very nice case from scratch using CNC, or if you have the skills and access to equipment.

or you could forgo IVY III and just add some O-Netics or similar line transformers and get high quality balanced and SE output. this would save money on the IVY and you would need one less power supply. the new line is indeed much more flexible in this regard, kudos to you guys

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #63 of 70
"Stereo balanced outputs can be used in current-output or voltage-output mode (depends on output stage used)"

Does this mean the DAC does voltage-output thus no I/V Stage needed? Are there any shortcomings to that besides needing a linestage (or not depending on the output voltage)? I won't be needing 2V, something like 0.5V will be plenty with my amp. So skipping another linestage seems like a good idea.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Stereo balanced outputs can be used in current-output or voltage-output mode (depends on output stage used)"

Does this mean the DAC does voltage-output thus no I/V Stage needed? Are there any shortcomings to that besides needing a linestage (or not depending on the output voltage)? I won't be needing 2V, something like 0.5V will be plenty with my amp. So skipping another linestage seems like a good idea.

Buffalo II - Page 2 - diyAudio

You lose performance. You will also need some sort of low-pass filtering for removing digital hash.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #65 of 70
How long until these are back in stock?
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long until these are back in stock?
frown.gif

Its on there website, under news.

Quote:

I am thinking we can get rolling on the next round in late March or very early April, and try to deliver them in late April, but that is a general estimate at the moment.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #69 of 70
I just realized that I had not accounted for Daylight Savings when setting up the timer on the web page. It has just become one hour closer to sale time! (Timer is accurate now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back