Buffalo II Update
Feb 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You. So if im going best i need 2 DAC modules 2 Placid Bipolar PSU's and 1 Power Transformer 15V+15V (30VA)?

Plus two IVY IIIs as well, which need their own power supply.

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #47 of 70
Finally pulled the trigger today, and my wallet feels the pain. March seems like a lifetime to wait to start this project
frown.gif

I am planning (for now) on coax and toslink SPDIF inputs, as well as USB to SPDIF input, and just switching them with a 2P3T (on-on-on) slider switch of some sort. This is because the Buffalo II can take SPDIF directly. Is there any reason I couldn't do this? I may end up buying the MUX module at some point anyway, but I don't think I require it. Transformer isolation is nice but I wouldn't think a switch is going to pose any problems with isolation.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is because the Buffalo II can take SPDIF directly. Is there any reason I couldn't do this?

In my humble experience, the original Buffalo24 is much less reliable at obtaining/keeping SPDIF compared with I2S.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a minimal build I suppose you could do for around 750, but its easy to spend well over a grand

A true minimal build can be done for about $300. I know it's popular to have 3 transformers and use basically every compatible TP module, but it's definitely not necessary.
I don't think people should be scared off from this DAC thinking they need all this stuff. You might be surprised the difference all the extra stuff really makes.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #50 of 70
fair comment, if you use spdif input, house it in a tin can and hardwire the outputs and inputs and use a passive output stage. but yeah I suppose even with a reasonable power supply you could get away with 450.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #51 of 70
$300 is totally understating it though. just the board with shipping to me was nearly 300 with no power supply, no anything. so thats just as misleading. my 750 wasnt using every module at all, that was using a power supply and transformer for the dac board, the ivy with its own power supply and transformer, with the spdif input or usb input module (sharing one of the PSUs) and a reasonable case with reasonable input and output jacks and hook-up wire. not top shelf. 750 isnt going to get you top shelf with a nice case. at least not here it doesnt. not many options in OZ and a case with shipping international or a custom case adds considerably to the build cost

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my humble experience, the original Buffalo24 is much less reliable at obtaining/keeping SPDIF compared with I2S.

This was actually a flaw in the ES9008. The ES9018 is much better in this regard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!
Russ

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #53 of 70
To Get incredible sound you only need 4 modules:

1) Buffalo II + Placid $289
2) IVY III + Placid BP $139

Then you will need two transformers about $42.

So all the major parts will be about $470

The rest is just switches, jacks, and wiring bits.

For $30 more you get the Volumite and Firmware for Buf-II.

Still less than you will pay for the ESS9018 demo board (about $670).
smily_headphones1.gif

What else can I say.

Cheers!
Russ

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was actually a flaw in the ES9008. The ES9018 is much better in this regard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to finally get some acknowledgment of this, and that it has been fixed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To Get incredible sound you only need 4 modules:
1) Buffalo II + Placid
2) IVY III + Placid BP

Going with this basic layout inputs would be limited to what the Buffalo II itself can take directly, correct?
Essentially a single S/PDIF (TOSLINK or Coaxial) input.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 70
Can't wait to get a Buffalo II, I was traveling to Japan on the day of the first pre-order. So I am impatiently waiting for the second session.

Mine will be a simple stock Buffalo II, IVY III, Placid, Placid BP, and Volumite build in my DIY case with I2S only for input fed from a PC with a Juli@ card. Outputs will be SE and balanced speaker, and SE and balanced headphones.

Do the multiple outputs require any special treatment or switching? The headphones are Denon D2000's and fairly low impedence.

Thanks
Mark

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #59 of 70
Hi Mark, you should not need any special switching.

You might want to take the output for the headphones prior to the output resistors. Or simply jumper them. That's your call.

It will drive the D2000's with no issues.

Cheers!
Russs

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #60 of 70
Thanks Russ,
I'll try taking the headphone outputs before the output resistors.

Looking forward to this build! By the way I really appreciate the bang/buck of this latest twisted offering.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back