Buffalo II Update
Feb 8, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brian,
So based on where you wrote this:

"Four DACs per channel ("Stereo Quad Balanced" mode) or eight DACs per channel for full dual-mono use."

I'm assuming you can buy two of these and use them in a dual mono configuration unlike the previous Buffalo32?

I'm pretty sure the second version is capable of being run in dual mono, because mine is running in dual mono.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thang? Makes me think I'm at home in thu hills
tongue_smile.gif

(yes, I am a hick from the sticks, actually
smile.gif
)

Is it too late to try and pretend that was a typo?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 70
Very tempted to grab one of these and built it in a tiny case with a tread and run it from an AC wallawart.
That could be done for about $300 in parts
biggrin.gif

Do we need to use coupling caps if taking voltage out straight from the Buffalo II? I can't find schematics or a datasheet to see what is going on there exactly.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very tempted to grab one of these and built it in a tiny case with a tread and run it from an AC wallawart.
That could be done for about $300 in parts
biggrin.gif

I totally had the same thought ;D

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do we need to use coupling caps if taking voltage out straight from the Buffalo II? I can't find schematics or a datasheet to see what is going on there exactly.

Yes, there is DC at the output.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 70
Can anyone chime on digital volume attenuation with the BFII:
Is it doing it on 32bits ?
Because then it will be better and I would consider to add digital volume attenuation to it.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 70
I'm still very much a rookie at DIY but am thinking about my first DAC. I've still got a ways to go before I actually understand everything that goes into a Buffalo DAC but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm looking at the build one of this $$$ wise. If I buy the $299 DAC module with Placid power supply, what else do I need (obviously a case but that's wildly variable).

I don't really understand all the various modules involved and will need to do some study before actually starting but I just want to know if I'm embarking on a $1000 project without knowing it! Now, I'm not a "bleeding edge performance" kind of guy but I don't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel either. In computer terms, I'm not buying Intel's biggest/baddest Quad core monster at roughly $1K, but I really like the i7 920 at $250-300ish. Make sense?

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #40 of 70
yes you probably are embarking on a 1000 dollar build without knowing it. a decent output stage of any sort is going to run you at least 100-150 (although you could have passive I/V with a few resistors and caps, but that would be a waste IMO) you will need at least 1 power supply for this as well, transformers, use anything but coax SPDIF and you will need a spdif or USB receiver, then casing. a minimal build I suppose you could do for around 750, but its easy to spend well over a grand

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #41 of 70
Exactly what I needed to know. The DIY costs sneak up on you!

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #42 of 70
Buy the Buf II, IVY III (you need to buy an IV stage), two Placids, a case and trafo. $500 build is easily possible.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i need 8 dac modules 249$ each to get balanced? I need dacs to build dac? im noob lol
biggrin.gif

No, you need one module to go balanced. Two to have left and right going through different modules.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #45 of 70
Thank You. So if im going best i need 2 DAC modules 2 Placid Bipolar PSU's and 1 Power Transformer 15V+15V (30VA)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back