Buds w/ Inline Mic for iPhone?
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Heavy Doody

New Head-Fier
First time poster, first time reader. Great forum you have going here.

As the title mentions, I'm looking for a descent set of earbuds w/ inline mic for the iPhone. The Apple standard ones are too big for my small ears, and sound like hell anyway.

I bought the Vmoda Vibe Duos, and loved the sound. Unfortunately, they started cutting out in one ear after a month. Enough people have reported this problem that I guess I'm going to sell the replacements on eBay, rather than give them another go.

I tried the B&O Earset 3. Same deal as the Apple ones... Too big for my ears.

I'm not really restricted to a specific price range. In fact, I'm hoping to get recommendations on buds from several price ranges.

I'm also open to microphone plugin suggestions, as long is it's a reasonable suggestion, like Shure provides with the short cord. I'm not really interested in a mic that hangs 3' from the mouth, or the Monster adapter that results in 2 separate cables coming from the iPhone.

Edit: I should add that having the latest, greatest ultimate noise isolation is not a big deal to me. If it has it, great. If not, no biggie. I don't listen in noisy environments very often.

Whatcha got for me, headphone gurus?

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 20
Try this. They have some good iPhone compatible earphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the link. I've considered the super.fi 4vi, but they seem to get awful reviews on the Apple online store. Specifically, a lot of the same QC complaints I see about the Vmodas.

Anyone here have experience with them?

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Yeah, I was looking at those yesterday. I don't mind the large mic. Seems easier to find than fiddling around looking for it, like I do with the smaller mics.

It's the earbuds that frighten me. They look enormous. I may give them a shot, though.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 20
I believe there's also a version of the Jays Q-Jays made for use with the iPhone, and Q-Jays are excellent.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Doody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link. I've considered the super.fi 4vi, but they seem to get awful reviews on the Apple online store. Specifically, a lot of the same QC complaints I see about the Vmodas.

Anyone here have experience with them?

Please note most iPod users wrap their earbuds around the iPod, which is already is pretty bad.

But wait! There is worse! The same people who don't like the UE are big fans of the Bose In-Ears. So basically, how credible is that?

When I tested the 4vi with my iPhone, they were pretty good actually
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Doody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was looking at those yesterday. I don't mind the large mic. Seems easier to find than fiddling around looking for it, like I do with the smaller mics.

It's the earbuds that frighten me. They look enormous. I may give them a shot, though.

My hf2 came in today and I love them. Sound quality better than my er-6 and I like the fit of the tri-flanges better as well.

I thought at first they might look goofy and stick out too far but they actually look inconspicuous enough. I'm happy.

--Chris

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 20
Bought a set of the Etymotic hf2s today. Played with them quite a bit. Not my cup of tea. A little light on the bass. I realize this probably means I have un-pure tastes in sound, but I likes what I likes, and these ain't it.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 20
Try the new UE Super.fi 5vi. The non vi (no mic) version has some really positive feedback and vi version should have the same SQ.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 20
Some j-Jays can be bought with a free iPhone adapter / hands free mic.

They're not the best audiophile headphones in the world, but they're a very comfortable and microphonics free design at a pretty low price ... £30 in the UK

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 20
I'm listening to Shure SE210s right now. They're not bad.

I think I'm going to step up and go with the SE530s. Unfortunately, I'm doing so without listening to them, but they're getting great reviews all over the Web, so they seem like a good gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back