Budget Speakers for a University Student
Aug 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Berimbolo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, long time reader here finally making an account haha.  I have realized I have definitely been over-abusing the all in-ear earbuds I have from the recommendations on these forums and am looking to buy some computer speakers to spare my hearing and be able to play music while chilling with my friends (note: my laptop speakers are beyond horrible).

I am a University student so I do have a budget, looking for something around $50-$100.  I know this is an extremely low budget however I am by no-means an audiophile but at the same time I don't want my speakers to sound like **** either.  I live in Canada so I have a more limited selections of stores and shipping speakers can be very pricey so I have to keep that in mind.

I have been looking at these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650

However, the shipping cost to my address would be $48 which is almost doubles the cost the speakers themselves.  Do you guys have any recommendations for me?  Or should I just try to find something at a local shop such as Future Shop, Best Buy or http://www.canadacomputers.com/

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 13
The price on those is hard to beat already, but of course the size and weight of the speaker cabinets make shipping expensive; check out the Swans S3W if you think you can live with smaller speakers and inquire about shipping costs. I've been meaning to get these too but international shipping to SEAsia nearly doubles the price - I just decided to wait around for used mini-monitors locally and then buy a T-amp when I get one.

Buying from chain brick n' mortar shops for $100 will at best get you the Creative T20 or the Sony SRS-A3, if they have them in stock at all. You can check out Craigslist for local pick-up hi-fi speakers too; try something with 89db sensitivity, and then get the Dayton T-amp from Parts Express.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 13
Swans S3W would be ~$40 to ship too. I'm considering picking up the Dayton Audio B652 and Lepai LP-2020A+ which I calculated would be approx. ~$85 shipped for me. I'm not sure if paying extra ($110) would be worth it for the Dayton Audio B652 + T-Amp combo.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Are there B652's my best option at $60 shipped or is there any better options?

I personally am not aware of any better options, unless you're willing to pay more for a smaller form factor, like the Audioengine A2. Best Buy used to have an Insignia-brand/manufactured speaker that used a coaxial driver similar in design idea to what KEF uses in its Q-series, and it was only $70. You won't get the same drivers or curved cabinets, but you get the top-end response of a 2-way without the phase issues, so you can sit closer for more bass without hearing the treble sitting slightly higher than all the other notes. Problem is this was discontinued a couple of years ago or so.

Try looking for these in Craigslist or eBay, if you manage to find one take it. Otherwise the B652 is still a fantastic speaker for the money.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I personally am not aware of any better options, unless you're willing to pay more for a smaller form factor, like the Audioengine A2. Best Buy used to have an Insignia-brand/manufactured speaker that used a coaxial driver similar in design idea to what KEF uses in its Q-series, and it was only $70. You won't get the same drivers or curved cabinets, but you get the top-end response of a 2-way without the phase issues, so you can sit closer for more bass without hearing the treble sitting slightly higher than all the other notes. Problem is this was discontinued a couple of years ago or so.

Try looking for these in Craigslist or eBay, if you manage to find one take it. Otherwise the B652 is still a fantastic speaker for the money.

I found a website where I can get the Swans S3W for ~$80 shipped that between the B652 + LP-2020a+ which would you choose and why?  To be honest, I have limited knowledge on speaker systems so I don't feel comfortable looking for used speakers over craigslist / kijiji.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I found a website where I can get the Swans S3W for ~$80 shipped that between the B652 + LP-2020a+ which would you choose and why?  To be honest, I have limited knowledge on speaker systems so I don't feel comfortable looking for used speakers over craigslist / kijiji.

Do take note I have not heard the S3W but I believe reviews enough regarding how good its midrange is (at the cost of treble and bass), but I have been looking for a way to ship it over to me cheap. Given that I primarily listen through headphones and as such I have a relatively bulky amp with them, my needs for speakers are primarily for avoiding listening fatigue (eardrums, plus the itch of the earpads, etc) while I'm on my laptop working, BUT still have the feel of a reference-grade midrange, even at the cost of the treble and low bass. Plus they're relatively tiny and will leave enough room on my table for a gaming keypad and mouse (I'd like to avoid wearing out my laptop's keyboard playing FPS games), If that pretty much describes your needs and preferences, then by all means get the Swans.

If for example size isn't a problem and you really need to hear full-spectrum evenly, and if you plan on this being your main system or need it to be as good as your headphones in the sense that it should deliver a wider frequency response, then get the larger speakers and T-amp.

Re: Craigslist, there's always a risk buying used, but in case you would entertain the idea (even later), one way to get suggestions to whcih speakers to look out for is to tell us what kind of sound you like, or easier yet, what headphones you like. People who have a reasonable amount of experience with both can narrow down what you choose from.

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 13
I ended up ordering the B652 and LP-2020a+ and it came to approximately $100 shipped.  The portability and compactness of the S3W is really tempting however, I don't feel like I'd make much use of it and would prefer the greater bass and treble.

Thanks for all your help!

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 13
Post at least a short review for reference, I'm sure the same question will be asked again. And again. And again.  
darthsmile.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 13
well on a similar note, I will be using the exact setup as the OP but will add the FIIO E10 as the source. Looking for a subwoofer to go with this combo. Any recommendations? Thanks to the OP for providing a link to solen for the daytons. Unfortunately, they are backordered and will be available next week :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back