Budget movie headphone suggestions?
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kdavis71

100+ Head-Fier
Unlike many on this site I am short on cash and am looking for the best cans for movie watching. I am looking for something preferably under $100 that will get me the most immersive and fun cinema like experience watching a movie.

I am thinking this would mean good rumbling bass and the best soundstage possible for on a budget. Portability and sound leakage don't matter to me since I would be using them for watching movies on my laptop during my own personal free time. Some noise isolation would be nice since there is a lot of noisy kids here but not necessary.

Also if there is a headset that would fit this category I would be ok with that as well.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 19
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, $56.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 19
Dec 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 19
  Thanks for the response and those are definitely affordable. I found them on Amazon for about $55 but I can't find much info about them. What makes them great for movies?

They are good all around headphones and they are only $55.
If Sony put their name on them they would easily sell for over $100.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 19
Alright. I think I will get them then. They have the exact same SQ as the Takstar Pro 80? Also reading through the thread that fabio linked some people said they benefit greatly from an amp and you recommended the Asus Xonar DG sound card. I have a Fiio e6 amp and am using a laptop with Intel HD audio (Conextant Smart Audio HD) so I don't know if that is good enough and if I could install that sound card.

Will it matter since I will only be using the headphones for movies? I have the ath-m50wh for my music and some cheap phillips action sports buds for the gym.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 19
  Alright. I think I will get them then. They have the exact same SQ as the Takstar Pro 80? Also reading through the thread that fabio linked some people said they benefit greatly from an amp and you recommended the Asus Xonar DG sound card. I have a Fiio e6 amp and am using a laptop with Intel HD audio (Conextant Smart Audio HD) so I don't know if that is good enough and if I could install that sound card.

Will it matter since I will only be using the headphones for movies? I have the ath-m50wh for my music and some cheap phillips action sports buds for the gym.

If you already have the ATH-M50 headphones, why buy other headphones?

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't know. I was just looking for something great for movies since I watch them all the time. If it's not worth the extra cost then I will just stick with what I have.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 19
I think the question you should answer is, what don't you like about the M50 for movies? 

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 19
  I don't know. I was just looking for something great for movies since I watch them all the time. If it's not worth the extra cost then I will just stick with what I have.

If you wanted something a little better then the ATH-M50s, then get the ATH-A900Xs.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 19
If you already have the M50 you're not gonna get a good improvement for $100.
Maybe sell the M50 and put that money towards some overall better headphones with the extra $100?

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 19
You got a sound card? That would seriously boost immersiveness. Something like a xonar dx using Dolby headphones and some bass boost would probably be real good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back