Budget Listener in need to cure addiction.
Feb 7, 2009 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dC0m

100+ Head-Fier
My recent acquisition of the Zune & Creative EP-630 has led to an addiction. I'm in need of some new IEMs (or maybe some headphones that are kinda small and portable like the Bose around-the-ear). From day one of my Creative EP-630 ownership, the build quality has been really poor. The covers and earpiece are cheap and falls off the driver. The 3.5mm headphone jack is splitting away with the wire (i had to ghetto tape it).

On the bright side, it does a hell of a job for the money. I paid $9 New; Shipped for decent noise isolation and decent sound quality.

Now, I'm seeking some new, better quality IEMs. I'm not looking to sign my life away ( keep it under $50? or less?), I just want something that will get the job done for a decent price like my EP-630s. I'm looking for something capable of producing mid-high sounds (I'm somewhat a bass head and like my music loud on the occasion..), clear sounds, and offer decent noise isolation (blocking out automobile noises?).

I've been recommended to some JVC FX Marshmallows but it seems like the bass is too heavy on those and I hate the way you have to insert them. What I've also been looking is some Bose (I know, it's crap) in-ears or the around the ears, Creatives EP-840, Sennheiser CX300 (EP-630 clone?), and some others.

So what's your suggestion?

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 21
CX 300 = EP630, so no point of getting them.

I think Amazon.com is selling the CX 500 and C551 for around $50. CX 400 for $34 or C452 for $30 is also worth taking a look.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 21
The Denon C551 and Nuforce NE-7 looks really good for the price.

I might consider spending more since I want my phones to LAST this time. Any more suggestion?

Also, where do you Head-Fi'ers usually go to get your phones? I know Amazon and Buy.com might have some but do you guys know anywhere that specially vends them for a discounted price or something?

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 21
Any more suggestions?

Also, any special sites where I can get good deals?

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 21
How are the JBuds J2? How are they compared to the others?

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

It's not like a clip-on mic....

Yeah I don't mind the mic. It's not that big of a deal.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 21
I think I'm pretty interested in the JBuds J2 Premium. Either that or the C551 or NE-7M.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the JBuds J2? How are they compared to the others?

You said that you are "somewhat a basshead". So the J2 are probably not for you. They are capable of fast, low reaching, fun and pretty high quality bass with some adjustments but sound more like a lower model Ety with a big treble roll off. Way different that the 551 or NE7.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Ah, which would be better, the Denon 551 or the Nuforce NE-7? I'm leaning more towards the Denon since it seems more solid and more of a basshead like IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back