Budget Hifiman HE-400 amp
Jun 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 21
I'm getting HE-400s too, and have my eye on the Obejective 2. Would this be a good pairing?

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 21
It looks good, but it doesn't come with an ac adapter.  The Schitt Magi is only $99 and of course only works off of AC.
 I tried the Fiio E-07 as well but the midrange in my cheapo tube unit is better.  Whatever you decide on will probably sound great.  It's probably more a situation of these choices are going to be just different vs. being better than another...and of course which sounds better to you which you won't know unless you get all of them and do some listening tests.  
I say jump in with a decent DAC, amp, and headphones and fall in love with the music.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 21
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll look into the Magi, but I think I'll stick with the O2. Happy listening! 
dt880smile.png

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #20 of 21
   Moreover, this may sound like a silly question but can too much amp power harm or affect headphones that don't require such amping?

If you turn up the amp too loud, you could damage your headphones or your hearing. That is the most serious problem. And it is usually easier to damage your hearing than to blow out a headphone driver. 

The less serious but more practical problem of having an amp that's too powerful is that the volume knob will be very sensitive. For example, you might find that 10 o'clock is as loud as you can stand, so you have to make little tiny adjustments between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock. A less powerful amp will give you more control over the knob. 

All that said, plenty of people use the Magni with the HE-400. Don't worry about it too much.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 21
hI,

Can you suggest me a good desktop/portable amp that is more powerful than fiio e12a, as this distorts very easily at high volume.

I want a warm sounding amp, E12a is really good , but just not my cup of tea as its really bright, improves detail in the upper region, makes male vocals very edgy and prone to sibilant.

I would want an amp to drive my he400, with reducing some treble, while boosting sub bass. More warm sounding amp.

Of course the clipping should be eliminated.

No price contstraints, but of course PRICE/PERFORMANCE is what im looking at.

Thank You all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back