Budget Headphones for Rock Music - $100
Sep 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 31
Spell it:

"emmmm".... "esssss".... "wunnnnn"....

And turn the music down, sonny. You'll kick yerself later if you don't! [size=xx-small](seriously)[/size]

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 31
No questions asked ....Alessandro MS1 for $99 shipped anywhere.
smile.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the Alessandro MS1i
L3000.gif

That would actually be a +6, at this point...
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #21 of 31
I just bought a grado sr60i as it was all my local audio store had in stock. It is amazing, 1000x better than the apple earbuds.
Would there be any noticeable difference if I hooked it up to a cmoy amp? Also is there a forum post where I can learn how to burn-in my headphones?

Thanks,
Nickkelbackk

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickkelbackk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would there be any noticeable difference if I hooked it up to a cmoy amp? Also is there a forum post where I can learn how to burn-in my headphones?

Thanks,
Nickkelbackk

Unamped you can burn them by playing music. When I burn my Grado SR60, I always listen to the music again and again. I noticed that the headphones sounds better and better too. Even now, I'm still burning it, hundreds of hours already has passed.

You will be happy with the burning experience.

I think that PA2V2 of Gary has a better synergy/match with the Grado.

Click:
Welcome To Electric-Avenues.com !

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 31
I listen to a lot of rock at high volumes. Some headphones will punish your hearing more than others at higher volumes, in particular the higher frequencies. I suggest headphones with rolled off highs. FWIR, the RX700 should be perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickkelbackk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a set of headphones that are good with rock music, metal, classical rock(not a lot), and maybe some alternative. I have been thinking about the Grado sr80is or the Sennheiser hd555s. I listen to my music at high volumes as a way to keep me up at night. So, the louder, the better (reasonable levels). I would appreciate any comments showing how these headphones compare against each other when used with rock music.

PS: They will also be used to watch movies and play my Xbox.

Thanks,
Trevor

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to a lot of rock at high volumes. Some headphones will punish your hearing more than others at higher volumes, in particular the higher frequencies.

Sorry, utter rubbish. anything over 85db for around qtr of an hour on a regular basis is going to cause hearing damage. If doesn't matter how 'comfortable' a headphone makes that loudness sound or what freqs are too loud.

If OP wants to still be listening to music in the near future he should learn to listen at lower volume. Hearing damage is permanent, and its not a matter of "it won't happen to me".

It's easy to do. Get better headphones, hear more detail at lower volumes, and enjoy the way they get you into the music and you won't fall asleep. If that's that you want. After a while you get used to listening at lesser volume and you don't even notice it.

But listening at huge volumes is dumb. Sorry, as someone who's suffered some hearing damage through medical events, to listen to people pissing away decent hearing - and others who suggest some headphones are more 'forgiving' at excessive volume, just presses my buttons.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #28 of 31
Right, loud damages hearing. But you may have missed my point. Some headphones can be more punishing than others. It's not just the amplitude, but also the frequencies. As music is turned up louder, often the higher and lower frequencies are disproportionately increased. I read that here on Head-Fi. And some amps are designed to compensate for this effect.

I appreciate your effort to help protect the hearing of the readers. That's also my intent as well.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 31
I have not listened at max volumes very often, maybe once a year. Normally I listen at good levels.
But, with my new grados, I can not even tell if I am listening to loud music. Is anyway I can check my dbs on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back