Budget End-Game Cans
Nov 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 20
  What about the HE 400i? Does it have some of the midrange problems it's precursor had, or have they fixed those issues? I just like to get every angle of the argument I can find. Sorry for the gazillions of questions!

Look for HE-400 vs HE-400i and HE-400i vs HE-500 comparisons here on Head-fi.  I never heard the HE-400i but everyone says it has very little in common with the HE-400, and is much much closer to the HE-500.  Both are the same price and the HE-500 is said to be more open-sounding and perhaps more detailed, so I'd go for the HE-500 unless the weight is a problem.  Auditioning both would be a huge plus.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 20

Look for HE-400 vs HE-400i and HE-400i vs HE-500 comparisons here on Head-fi.  I never heard the HE-400i but everyone says it has very little in common with the HE-400, and is much much closer to the HE-500.  Both are the same price and the HE-500 is said to be more open-sounding and perhaps more detailed, so I'd go for the HE-500 unless the weight is a problem.  Auditioning both would be a huge plus.

Seems like the 500 has a little more respectability and such, so I think I'll be going with it. Also, another thing is, the hifimans all look absolutely boring. The DT990 Pros look like something right out of a robot, and the grados, as simple as they are, look fantastic to me. 

If you don't mind buying used you can sometimes find the HE500 for under $400 in the classified forums.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and shucked 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back