Budget End-Game Cans
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pirakaphile

500+ Head-Fier
I've been touring the online audiophile world for a little over a year now, and have looked at all kinds of reviews for dozens and dozens of cans, and I've decided I want to get myself the best of the best to curb my desire to keep buying more and more sub $200 phones. I'm limiting my expense to about $350, unless someone can convince me to toss another $50 or so on top of that, but I'm not looking to break the bank.
I've got some Grado SR80i's, which started this whole escapade, and just bought Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, and both of those cans are absolutely marvelous for my music taste. I've wanted to just plop down the money and get some Sennheiser HD-600's, but from what I've heard in reviews, they excel at classical music the most, which isn't a bad thing, because I love classical, but I'm not sure if I'm really interested in cans like that trying to play jazz fusion, prog rock, and electronic. I enjoy having fun when I'm listening, and the Grados definitely get that aspect. The analytical aspect was pretty much solved by the DT990s, and those dudes introduced to to a wider soundstage, a much deeper bass, and a more pronounced upper register. Now I just want to get the cans that'll satisfy my every want and need, can play any genre of music, and have excellent response from the uber lows of the contrabass clarinet, to the crispy highs of Bruford's amazing cymbal play. These cans have to be fun, but they also need to get the texture of the music, as well as the scale I desire.
On to the considerations.

I've looked all over, and I first had thought I'd be looking into AKG, but something about the reviews suggests they don't have the energy or all around performance I'd like to see. Then I thought about getting another can from Grado, but I almost want to save up for the GS1000e for the far future, rather than get another can that may resemble the SR80's too closely. Sennheiser, with their HD598, seemed to be a good choice, but I still thought I'd like something different. Finally, I came across orthodynamics. Reading reviews about how spectacular they could be, I became interested in them, but thought I'd never afford em. However, I recently discovered the Hifiman HE-400's, and saw almost completely positive reviews on them. So far, those seem to be the ones that'll fit the deal.

If anyone thinks there's something better than the HE-400's in their own price range, I'd love to hear, because I'm all about getting to know every aspect of a situation. I'm not gonna get anything 'till Krismas, so there's quite a lot of time to sway me to another can, but I feel pretty darn connected to those orthodynamics right now.

Alright, now that all this combobulation is over, I'll bid you all aidu. Chill out dudes!

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 20
Started looking at the Allesandro MS2, but it seems that they're focussed towards a leaner sound or something. People seem to like them, but I'm not sure they'll have the sound I'm looking for.
Also finally checked out the Mad Dog, I've been dodging it for a while, don't know why. Lots of reviews are over-the-top, just like the ratings for the newest Captain America movie. I'm sure they're good, but I've fallen in love with the open backed sound, and I'm almost a little hesitant to give it up. Anyone think the Mad Dog is a good all around headphone?

Forgot to say that I've got the Schiit Magni/Modi stack, so power won't be a problem, nor will colouration, so if a headphone is already bright it's gonna stay that way.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 20
For "end game" within or near your budget--

HD 600

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD600

HD 650

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

DT 880

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

and best of all if you can fit in in your budget while they are still closing them out--the HE-500:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 20
+1 on HE500 with a pad mod. Thats probably the closest to end game near your budget, although im perfectly satisfied with Sony MA900 and dont really feel like even trying out more open cans.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 20
That profile pic... 3spoopy5me  Put some B34t5 Pr0'5 on them.
If you like bass: Philips Fidelio X1/X2
You said you checked out AKG, but that means you probably only looked at the Q701/K6XX/K7XX.  Have you looked at the AKG 550?
How about the Sennheiser Momentum?
This thing is really cheap right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-1R-Over-the-Ear-Headphone-Black-/271665826674

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 20
  For "end game" within or near your budget--

HD 600

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD600

HD 650

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

DT 880

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

and best of all if you can fit in in your budget while they are still closing them out--the HE-500:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

I'm already satisfied with the DT 990 Pro, so I'm probably not going to get another Beyer can. Sennheiser, as I stated before, seems to be leaning towards a more neutral, crisp, and dainty sound, oriented towards more critical listening and classical music. I want to hear the steam coming out of Mingus' ears, the immensity of the bass drum in the Alien soundtrack. I want to feel the emotion from Heart of the Sunrise.
Also, HE 500 is just out of my reach for this year, and I'm not sure I can save krismas money for that long.

That profile pic... 3spoopy5me  Put some B34t5 Pr0'5 on them.
If you like bass: Philips Fidelio X1/X2
You said you checked out AKG, but that means you probably only looked at the Q701/K6XX/K7XX.  Have you looked at the AKG 550?
How about the Sennheiser Momentum?
This thing is really cheap right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-1R-Over-the-Ear-Headphone-Black-/271665826674

I like bass, but I like the bass to be controlled and textured. I want it to be deep, but I want that deepness to be held in the hand of a demon. (yeah, cool analogy, but what do you want Piraka?) I still need to have the mids and highs all right there as well, because I love cymbal play just too much to let it go. Also, AKG doesn't have the kind of texture I like. I remember listening to the Q701 a while back and I just couldn't get a feel for it. The closed back 550 seems to have very mixed reviews with the upper mids, and I'm getting a little pensive about that.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 20
Dynamic open headphones generally won't give you much deep bass that's needed for electronic music.  For the jazz they are generally more than good enough.  While the HD600/650 might not be perfect for electronic music, they are definitely more versatile than just for classical.  The HD650 is actually not a neutral can but a fairly warm headphone with a slight mid bass emphasis and laid back treble.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 20
  Nope--the Senns, especially the HD 650, delivers a sound reminiscent of a smoky jazz club.  It's warm and tube-ey.

Alright, now I'm gonna spend a week looking for HD650 VS. HE400 reviews. Thanks a lot. :p 
I'll have to take another look at the 650s now, just to see which one will fit the bill. If I have to, I'll even get one pair this year, and get the other a year later. (oh god the expense) Sadly, I was trying to avoid this problem, but if the two seem to have aspects I like and can get my attention, I'll bit em both.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 20
  Dynamic open headphones generally won't give you much deep bass that's needed for electronic music.  For the jazz they are generally more than good enough.  While the HD600/650 might not be perfect for electronic music, they are definitely more versatile than just for classical.  The HD650 is actually not a neutral can but a fairly warm headphone with a slight mid bass emphasis and laid back treble.

I don't listen to much electronic, mostly jazz and jazz fusion, as well as prog rock and alt, er.. all sorts of alternative stuff. Now you've got me in a jumble, I must've been associating the HD800 with the 6-650s.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 20
Coloured? I've seen people claim that the HE 400 is an any genre can. Though people seem to agree the HE 500 is much better in every aspect.. Is the HD 600 the same with the 650? The latter being the genre master of the two? 

Now I've got another question. Should I throw in the extra $100-175 to get the HE 500/HD 650 rather than the step down of either? I'm a bit pensive with my money, and it's a pretty big step to try and jump all the mid-fi cans and go straight to $400-500 headphones. I might go into another research spasm like I did when I was looking for a step up to the grados.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Despite the fact that it does many things very well and is currently a great value, the HE-400 has a colorization of its mids that is not quite natural.  I hear that as a big minus for jazz (as well as a number of other music genres).

Unless the weight of it is a problem for you, get the HE-500.  It is still available at closeout or near closeout prices and they are not making any more.  Even at its regular price, it is the lowest price can that does everything well. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 20
What about the HE 400i? Does it have some of the midrange problems it's precursor had, or have they fixed those issues? I just like to get every angle of the argument I can find. Sorry for the gazillions of questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back