Budget closed cans, bass emphasis
Jun 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Geneser

New Head-Fier
Hello headfi, my first time posting here.

Ive been looking around the forums for a while now for purchase recommendations etc, leading me to happily acquire
the sennheiser hd 518 for home use, and the px-100 ii for travel/outside, normally having a pair of skullcandy IEMs for use when
isolation and over emphasized bass was due.

Really im just looking to find the sound of hd 518/px100 ii in a closed back circumaural design...

The skullcandys broke, and now im looking for an over-ear closed back design headphone, due to the fact i absolutely HATE supra-aural headphones, as well is IEMs, i just dont find them comfortable.

Budget is around 400 dkk/40£/60$

- Closed back, for atleast semi-passive noise reduction
- Bass emphasis, as ill want to use these for working out etc, driving on a moped
- If possible, as discrete as possible, or atleast not too bulky
- Comfort isnt as important, as long as over-ear, tight clamp is a +
- Harsh highs and mids are my worst nightmare

And yeah ive been reading multiple reviews etc, nothing definitive enough for me.

Help really appreciated:) 

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Audio Technica ATH M50 looks to be right down your strasse.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Hey hsubox, thanks for the fast reply

The m50 is just a tad over the budget, looking after something in the 50-70$ range.

D"oh! I just saw your budget on the original. My apologies.

My suggestion? Save up for them :xf_eek:)

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 17
hehe no worries mate

yeah of course that would yield the better result, but i'd rather have some that i could use for the upcoming month (summer, vacation etc)
and something that i wouldnt have to worry that much about losing/breaking, as its for the-go:)

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Denon AH-D1100 are fairly base heavy

if you look around you should be able to get a deal for <$100

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 17
xb500? Remember the more bass, the more mids and highs you are going to lose. Most headphones have bass nowadays. You can buy cheap earbuds and get good bass. My brother has JVC riptidz, and he said they lasted him a year and are still working. They are only $7-10

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 17
How are the XB-500's and 700's? I realize they're not anywhere near a nice flat curve, and they'd be pretty terrible for monitoring, but are they a fun buy for bumping some dubstep? I'm guessing they'd be fun for bass heavy genres, but are they at least listenable for non-heavy-bass stuff like classic rock or something?

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
How are the XB-500's and 700's? I realize they're not anywhere near a nice flat curve, and they'd be pretty terrible for monitoring, but are they a fun buy for bumping some dubstep? I'm guessing they'd be fun for bass heavy genres, but are they at least listenable for non-heavy-bass stuff like classic rock or something?

xb 500s have more bass than anything out there... and if you can eq them right them you can get good mids and highs too... they are better than xb700s as they are cheaper and have more punch in bass but they don't go as low in lower bass... xb500s also do not require amping so they are a cheap solution for mega bass

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Sony XB500's have a load of bass and are extremely comfortable.  And playing around with an EQ can make them sound a lot better too :wink:

They are just slightly under your budget too at around $55

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 17
i have xb500, bass quantity is definitely more than enough for me, i never tried eqing them though, the sound quality overall is nothing impressive (and this comment is already being nice). it does what its advertised though, A LOT OF BASS!!!

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 17
I'll add that I own the XB500s and while they do have good bass response, they are too dark (or maybe they just have mediocre mids/highs). It makes it difficult to enjoy them with typically bass filled genres like electronic, dubstep, and hip hop. Maybe it'll be just the right level of darkness for you since you specifically mention you want to avoid harsh mids/highs.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm just gonna leave my vote for the XB500 here as well. A good equalizer makes for some great music. And they are right in your price range. I say, get them. They are really comfortable as well.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 17
according to memory and personal experience, xb700 is even more comfortable because the earpads are bigger but xb500 is also very comfortable because the earpads are very soft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back