Budget Bookshelf Shootout
Apr 9, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Advice: On speakers, cheap out now, regret BIG TIME later. Trust me on this. Wait until you can double your budget. I favor B&W or Boston.

Old Pa- Just for the sake of argument, I'm not sure I understand? Unless you forsee him becoming ultra critical of his gear and turning into an obsessive audiophile I don't see how he might end up regretting the purchase of a nice pair of speakers within his budget? Again, if you set aside the thinking that he's going to become very critical and analytical in time where he'll be driven to assume his $300 purchase was a mistake based on cost alone, why would he one day decide he made a poor choice? Are you saying anything he buys within the current confines of his budget will in time disappoint him regardless of how critical and analytical he becomes? I know a lot of music lovers who would be very satisfied if not blown away by some of the best $400 speakers out there.

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 46
May I recommend the Acoustic Energy as a contender?

I heard the AE Aegis Evo 1 last winter. Very good budget performer. Very fast and upfront sounding. The only drawback is that it sometimes sounded a touch shrill on the upper frequencies (nothing is perfect at this price range). I preferred it over the budget bookshelf Mission (M50? I forget the model) and the warmer sounding KEF Q1, and perhaps even the Whafedale Diamonds 8.1/.2.

I think the Evo 1 could be found for around $300.

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #19 of 46
Wharfedale diamond 7.2s - 85 bucks shipped from tsto.com

or the crystal 10 series

cant' say much about the world of bookshelves, but i'm pretty content with mine, they go to 40hz, have a great sound for the money (less than 100 bucks, can't go wrong) and have really opened up and burned in nicely

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #20 of 46
I agree with Sean H -- it's not necessary to spend a lot of money to get satisfying sound. There are a lot of bad budget speakers out there, but there are good ones too. You just need to find one you like in your price range. In fact, if you wanted to get some cheap Paradigm Atoms and invest the savings in a better source or amp, I'd encourage that. (Driving more expensive speakers with a poor source or amp will generally not satisfy; you have to consider everything as a system.)

I only heard the KEF Codas with opera, unfortunately, so I can't really comment on how they'd perform with rock. For what it's worth, I thought they had a nice smooth top end and a good low end; they were great for the material.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Old Pa- Just for the sake of argument, I'm not sure I understand? Unless you forsee him becoming ultra critical of his gear and turning into an obsessive audiophile I don't see how he might end up regretting the purchase of a nice pair of speakers within his budget?

My experience is that 1) speakers have been components which stayed in my syystems for longer than any other components, 2) speaker selection is where I have most successfully expressed my subjective desires in audio reproduction, and 3) speakers I have owned with deficiencies have proven the most grating audio purchases. Besides, the time required to double the budget will provide more opportunity to sample the speaker population with his own music and further refine what he wants in speaker sound.

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 46
Great responses.

I guess at this point I'm leaning toward the SB2 or the Atoms. I prefer the SB2's but the Atoms are significantly cheaper. Both sound like they offer the sound I'm looking for.

I'm looking into all the other suggestions as well.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 46
I havent seen it mentiond here alot, but if you dont have a problem with used, then that is definitely worth checking out.

You could consider speakers like the B&W DM602 and 601. I own the original 601 and I love it. the bass is satisfying in my bedroom and with my setup it blends in well.

Just careful what amp you match it to. I have mine on an Adcom amp and preamp setup which I think matches it, but it is not a great match with the pioneer integrated I had, which was the equivalent to the A-35. To be honest it was possible that the one I had was tampered with before I got it, so that could have been the reason for its less than stellar sound.

Anyway, check Audiogon for instance and see whats available in your price range.

D

just an example:

601 s3 on audiogon

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 46
Insomniac, they also caugh my attention. I'm currently looking for feedback on them as well. I'm mainly worried about their ability across multiple ranges.

I found these 2 reviews:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/kefcoda70_e.html

http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/1996/2/02kef

If anyone has experience with them, let us know
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #28 of 46
there was an xr-45 amp comparision here:

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp040104.shtm

i use an xr25 with my magnepan mmg and like it.
smily_headphones1.gif
the xr50 just came out. it's supposed to replace the xr25. j&r music world already has the xr50.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #29 of 46
there was an xr-45 amp comparision here:

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp040104.shtm

i use an xr25 with my magnepan mmg and like it.
smily_headphones1.gif
the xr50 just came out. it's supposed to replace the xr25. j&r music world already has the xr50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back