Budget amp for Shure 840
Jan 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 17

This is where I'm clueless: my Grado SR80 are 32 ohms and my Shure 840 are 44 ohms. What should I be looking for in terms of specs in a amp?

Wiggy

Quote:
  Wow ok another US made tube amp yet to make it to Aussie shores 
smile.gif

Never heard it so I cannot offer up much advice with the HT1 ~ the others though are a matter of preference but I've never been a fan of the
  Schitt sound.

Are these the specs you're seeing on the HT1?

[size=small]35 Ohm Output Impedance[/size]
[size=medium] [size=x-small]  50mW Output Power into 30 to 300 Ohms[/size][/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] [size=x-small] Bit of a worry for future headphones if those specs are true. 50mW means it's no powerhouse but more what is more of a worry is[/size][/size]
[size=small] [/size][size=small]the output impedance of 35ohms, this will play havoc with the 840's frequency response. Anyone who has used the Fiio E9's 43ohm[/size]
[size=small] [/size][size=small]output 3.5mm jack with most $200-ish headphones will attest that it sounds pretty crappo.[/size]

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 17

Quote:
This is where I'm clueless: my Grado SR80 are 32 ohms and my Shure 840 are 44 ohms. What should I be looking for in terms of specs in a amp?

Wiggy

You'd want an amp that has a relatively low output impedance ~ consider 10ohms to be the maximum before those
 'phones will start to sound a little funny.

Having said that - I've read on here that some have used Grados on amps with 10+ohm out impedance and report
 things to be fine <shrug> - I'd stick to the theory my self and take no chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back