Buddy Holly: am i the only one here that likes it?
Jul 28, 2005 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fogia.4

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been sitting here listening to songs like Oh Boy! and Peggy Sue and wow, these songs really rock
smily_headphones1.gif
Old school surely, but great anyway. Anyone else likes Buddy Holly and has similar bands to recommend?

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
So I've been sitting here listening to songs like Oh Boy! and Peggy Sue and wow, these songs really rock
smily_headphones1.gif
Old school surely, but great anyway. Anyone else likes Buddy Holly and has similar bands to recommend?

Buddy Holly was great. Somewhat underappreciated now. If you like Buddy Holly, try Marshall Crenshaw for a more modern take.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 22
"That'll Be the Day" is on the Fender 40th Anniversary CD, sounds nice and cleaned up. Buddy Holly was the man, the originator of Geek Rock.

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Buddy Holly was/is GREAT! His output and variety in just a few short years is incredible.........without Buddy Holly and the Crickets, there would have been no Beatles (at least in the name.)
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 22
Oh Yeah........How 'bout "Heartbeat"......

If you like Buddy you'll probably like the CCR.....

Jul 28, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 22
He was enormously influential. Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones (covered not fade away), Queen (crazy little thing called love was inspired by him supposedly) Stray Cats, The Byrds, Gram Parsons, Elvis Costello, Ben Fold, Weezer, (the song Buddy Holly), Don McLean (American Pie was about his death), the list goes on and on.

Marshall Crenshaw is the most directly like him (and talented as well). He even played Buddy Holly in the movie La Bamba.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 22
my theory is that, had buddy holly lived, elvis would have been an also-ran while buddy would be revered today as the greatest american rocker.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
my theory is that, had buddy holly lived, elvis would have been an also-ran while buddy would be revered today as the greatest american rocker.

This theory overlooks the fact that Elvis was, at least in his younger days, one of the most good-looking and charismatic entertainers who ever lived, while Buddy Holly was, er, not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back