Budding audiophile unsure of audiophile worthiness
Jun 5, 2017 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Argoz

New Head-Fier
So. I've always enjoyed my music and have clearly seen the difference between say 20-30 dollar earbuds from Walmart to maybe Xiaomi hybrids or recently Shure 215ltds.

The issue is I'm looking for the next step up but I'm not sure it's going to get much better. I took a couple lossy tests like 124kb to 320kb mp3 tests and most of the time it was like a 50/50.

So now I'm unsure if there's much point in continuing my search for better sound has if I do drop more money on audio equipment it's going to be in the 500-1300 range has I don't see the sense in buying twice. I'm currently looking at the Vegas from campfire audio and I purchased the Shure Ltd a month ago. They kept me satisfied until I heard some muffling in a couple songs and I was like crap I thought I got rid of this.

I tend to listen to edm, indie electronic, pop, and rock some examples would be eden project, Jaymes young, gnash, papa roach, 3 days Grace, 21p

Tldr: unsure if it's worth the money moving into high end iems has I'm unsure if I'll hear audible differences due to my deafness of mp3 lossy formats

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 11
THe problem with better equiptment and better bitrates of the recordings is you hear the recordings that are poorly recorded. There were some albums i loved before i got high 3nd audio equiptment, and now i cant stand them as my equiptment really shows off how badly it was recorded then mixed. What i tell everyone that wants to get into the hobby. Spend as little as you can till you can not hear a difference.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Well I decided I'm going to try saving up for the Vegas has I asked in the thread if there was significant difference. If there's not much to my ears I can always sell em off for a little less I guess

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 11
The better test would be if you could tell the difference on better gear. I would not worry too much on test like that as your hearing can be affected by several things in our daily life that can change how you hear something. I did one of those test a while ago and the first time got 4 out of 5 right and tried again a few weeks later for giggles and got 1 out of 5 right. You don't have to be an audiophile to just enjoy music and I've heard big differences with better gear. When I got my QP1R I heard things in songs that I thought I knew pretty well that I had not heard before. If you have heard the difference in the cheap earbuds and better earphones you should be good to go. When you start getting into higher end things the difference becomes a little smaller and then it is a matter of taste.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 11
I can definitely hear a clear difference between say Samsung earbuds and my Shure 215ltds. The clarity and then how they muddy up the vocals with bass and just everything seems worse overall. I was just getting afraid of dropping a good chunk of money and getting no improvement that I could audibly hear

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 11
You have to remember, as was pointed out, the better your headphones or IEMs are the more any less than stellar playback material is going to sound. In a sense it's like the better the headphones, the worse some songs are going to sound--in a sense. Something like a Vega are just much more revealing of questionable recordings or playback material. Therefore, your better headphones may not always sound that much better than a lesser pair would. It is song-, recording-, and playback material-dependent.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 11
I can definitely hear a clear difference between say Samsung earbuds and my Shure 215ltds. The clarity and then how they muddy up the vocals with bass and just everything seems worse overall. I was just getting afraid of dropping a good chunk of money and getting no improvement that I could audibly hear
Then your good to go. Don't worry. The Campfires are all very good. I myself loved the Andromeda's and the Nova's were also stellar. You should find the Vega's to be a upgrade.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Well I decided I'm going to try saving up for the Vegas has I asked in the thread if there was significant difference. If there's not much to my ears I can always sell em off for a little less I guess

Good choice. They're made here in Portland. I have a pair of Jupiters on the way. B-stock. Keep an eye on the ALO Audio warehouse site:

https://aloaudio.deals/

Great deals here.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 11
BTW, the dynamic drivers from Campfire (Vega, Dorado and Lyra II) are NOT made in USA. They're made in China. Nevertheless, IMO the finish is better than the USA made ones since there's no anodized coating that can wear off or get scratched.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah I recognize some music will end up sounding worse due to bitrate and recording quality but If it comes down to that I can always alternate between my shures for the worse music and then the high ends for my good quality recordings. I'm currently using spotify for most things but I figured I'll have to use tidal or start buying flacs if I notice artifacts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back