Buckethead
Jun 24, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #46 of 61
I think Satch and Vai are more refined than big Buck, but I just love Buckets rawness and emotion. That Vai video owned though.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew your nick was Bucket related! Let's hope he tours again soon!

Yeah, I finally got to see him a few months ago!

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 61
Nice! Looks like it will probably be 2008 before he hits the road again, or I'm pretty sure he would have announced dates by now. Although, we all know how big buck is! UNPREDICTABLE!
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #52 of 61
Add George Bellas and Akira Takasaki to that list (of shredders) please! Glad you included Michael Romeo. I was friends with him in Jersey years ago (used to see concerts together), before he 'made it big'. He always set his sights high and practiced his arse off.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When someone wears a pail on their head I find it difficult to take them seriously regardless of their talent.

I prefer not to watch people make ridiculous facial gestures while playing like steve vai up there in that video. It's quite distracting and hard not to laugh. I prefer to focus on the music, not the musician.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron Thal
Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Shawn Lane
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Chris Impellitteri
Micheal Angelo
Eric Johnson
Gary Hoey
Greg Howe
Jason Becker
Jeff Beck
Randy Rhoads
Joe Stump
Joey Tafolia
John Petrucci
Marty Friedman
Michael Romeo
Paco De Lucia
Uli Jon Roth
Victor Smolski
Vinnie Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Alan Holdsworth
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Patrick Rondat
Richie Kotzen
Tony MacAlpine
Torben Enevoldsen
Scotty Mishoe
Darren Householder
Craig Erickson
Todd Duane
Joy Basu
Stephen Ross
Bernd Steid
Rich Kern
Derek Taylor

This is very close to my personal list of the who's who of guitar playing, minus a few players.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When someone wears a pail on their head I find it difficult to take them seriously regardless of their talent.

Well find a way around it, he's amazing. Theatrics are a huge part of what he does, but it in no way is to make up for a lack of talent.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rank Joe Satriani as the top guitarist
smily_headphones1.gif

Not me - his old student Steve Vai surpassed him long ago.

But I think every guitarist has their own thing. It's not like a 100 meter dash where the winner is clearly defined. Each does their "thing" better than the others.

I think bucketheads "thing" is very unique, and he isn't trying to win any guitar wars, but is after making his particular music. I don't know why guitarist always have to battle in a showdown to find whoss the best. These players usually get caught up in playing as fast as they can constantly and lose any musical value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back