Buckethead
Apr 4, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buckethead does the most original music out of any other guitarist, living or dead. He too, has defined a genre, a genre of robotic wrists and hands. Watch him push the killswitch on Jordan, then try tapping your finger that fast. Exactly.

I mis-spoke too, I meant to say Jimi Hendrix essentially defined an era, but I don't think it was solely because of his guitar playing.

Also his [Buckethead's] wide mastery technique. I don't think any guitarist can match him technique-wise.

just because he makes a wide range of noises to accompany his music, does not make it original. Sorry to break this to you but he hasn't defined shredding or tapping, he's not the only guy out there doing it. Try tapping my finger that fast? What is that supposed to prove? Why don't you go and try to write a song like lil wing? Exactly.

As far as no guitarist being able to match his technique, well technicality has never drawn fans the same way musicality has. Can buckethead draw the same emotional response in his 300bpm tapping as say, U2's opening drum beat and riff of Sunday Bloody Sunday?

Quote:

Proof of versatility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDmTCAZZ3w

how does this show his versatility? He plays with nunchucks and then throws them into the crowd..then goes into some robot dance? Then some shredding and over the top effects, and grabbing a melody from a well known classical song?

but hey, if you're into that kinda stuff then maybe you should check out the rest of the genre as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtLcfkrPIE

Apr 4, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how does this show his versatility? He plays with nunchucks and then throws them into the crowd..then goes into some robot dance? Then some shredding and over the top effects, and grabbing a melody from a well known classical song?

but hey, if you're into that kinda stuff then maybe you should check out the rest of the genre as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtLcfkrPIE

You're watching the wrong video. You're also not reading what I am saying. I never said he defined tapping. If you watched the video, Im talking about when he taps his finger on the killswitch, not the fret board. I think the way he uses his effects (and he can use them like no other can) defines his genre.

Thank you and goodnight. Im tired.

He is also musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

I think that is a beautiful song. Maybe you don't. Don't care.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

You're watching the wrong video. You're also not reading what I am saying. I never said he defined tapping. If you watched the video, Im talking about when he taps his finger on the killswitch, not the fret board. I think the way he uses his effects (and he can use them like no other can) defines his genre.

Thank you and goodnight. Im tired.

He is also musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

I think that is a beautiful song. Maybe you don't. Don't care.

my apologies, you linked a few videos in a row and i was referring to the last one. Why don't you explain what exactly is the genre he defined then? Robotic wrists and hands? What does that even mean? Seems to me like he defines the genre of wearing creepy stage outfits.

Now the ballad you linked is much more similar to what something like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani would play. But without the mastery of the wah pedal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating bucket head simply because he plays blazingly fast. But like any other guitar effect, it loses its appeal when overused.

try this one by steve vai, one of my favorite songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayep. I can recommend a bunch more guitarists that are on his level. PM me if you are interested.

No you can't :p

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No you can't :p

Having looked at your profile, and seeing that you list 'instumental guitar' as one of the genres you enjoy, I can only assume that you are having a little fun with me.

But hey, I'm game. I will play along. SInce you have clearly thrown down the 'goblet of shred', I will be happy to walk over to it, pick it up, and sip from it your blood.

Plus this could actually end up being educational for those Head-Fiers who are into shredders (especially the young 'uns) who may not otherwise be exposed to the myriad of lesser known amazing guitarists that are out there in the world.

I must preface this by saying that I am a huge Buckethead fan. I own every one of his officially released CDs. But believe me when I say that the sun does not rise and set in the land of shred at the feet of the enigma known as Buckethead. He has plenty of peers.

So now onto the list, feel free to take notes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

A list of shredders that meet, or in some people's opinions exceed the technial and innovative abilities of Buckethead, ranging from the well known, to obscure:

A few from my personal music collection:

Ron Thal
Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Shawn Lane
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Chris Impellitteri
Micheal Angelo
Eric Johnson
Gary Hoey
Greg Howe
Jason Becker
Jeff Beck
Randy Rhoads
Joe Stump
Joey Tafolia
John Petrucci
Marty Friedman
Michael Romeo
Paco De Lucia
Uli Jon Roth
Victor Smolski
Vinnie Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Alan Holdsworth
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Patrick Rondat
Richie Kotzen
Tony MacAlpine
Torben Enevoldsen
Scotty Mishoe
Darren Householder
Craig Erickson
Todd Duane
Joy Basu
Stephen Ross
Bernd Steid
Rich Kern
Derek Taylor

Here is a talented 'woodshedder' guitarist that has yet to be signed (which boggles my mind). Make sure you check out his videos:
Bob Zabek

Just to name a few. There are tons more out there, believe me.

At any rate, what makes Buckethead stand out from the pack is that he has a 'gimmick' that his peers do not. Granted it is indeed a fun gimmick, but it is a gimmick nonetheless. I mean who wouldn't be amused by a guy wearing a yellow rain jacket, white expresionless mask, and a KFC bucket on his head, dual-wielding nunchukcs and break-dancing? As for the 'killswitch' - that has been done to death. It started back in the day when someone disconnected one of their guitar pickups from the pickup toggle select switch. The only difference is that Buckethead has a kill switch that is easier to operate than a toggle switch (it appears to be a push button), which allows him to activate it at a much faster rate.

Having been a guitarist myself for 24+ years now, and growing up as a teenager when shred guitar instumental CDs were HUGE, and even having participated myself as a guitarist in the 'shred' genre, I'd like to think that I know a few things about shredders.

That concludes this session of 'Shred School 101'.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 61
i don't know much about his music, but i dug buckethead's collaberation with john carpenter for the soundtrack of "ghosts of mars".

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to mention - perhaps this thread would be better suited for the Music section of Head-Fi.

Yeah, what's up with the mods around here?
biggrin.gif

I was just busting your chops about big B-man....although, I really feel the op on this one. I remember when I learned of Buckethead (after watching Qbert's Wavetwisters) several years ago, I was all spooked out and thought I had found some next-level God incarnate. Now, I'm a bit more sensitzed, so to speak, with him, but I do hear something from him that is at least a rare type of offering. I heard someone say that their music is seperated into Buckethead and non-Buckethead, and like the op here, I can at least relate to that.

Thanks for that list, though, for sure, I will check out. p e a c e

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #25 of 61
buckethead is great. "Whitewash" is definitely my favorite song of his, i believe that someone linked to a video of it already. him and marty friedman are just at the top of the hill for me, with stevie ray vaughan somewhere above there.

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, guys, it's useless to try and argue over who's a better guitarist because this argument will never end. I love pretty much all the guitarists mentioned above, but I'm not going to try to argue over who is THE BEST THERE IS. Just sit back and enjoy the music.

if technique is a quantifiable value or range of values (if you practice enough you can play chords as fast as buckethead, for example), when a musician reaches the top of his or her game, where do they go from there? what do you do with the massive talent you have built? if the music lacks passion or is a retread of something else it does not matter how fine a technical player they are. in the final mix the important element is the music, not the player.

May 15, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #30 of 61
so, i have been listening to Buckethead lately, and my opinion has changed drastically, I really enjoy his music now, it is pretty cool, he went from one of my least favorite artists to one of my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back