BTW...on tube roll'n
Nov 11, 2002 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xtop_sg

New Head-Fier
I am essentially a tube newbie look for some tubes to roll and I came across a pair of JAN/CHS 6SN7GT (1944) in the net going for USD$120. I would appreciate if you could let me know if these are the real McCoy and if the asking is reasonable.
Also what is the difference between the 6SN7GT of the 40s and 50s?
I have also found a pair of Ken Rad VT 231 that looks mint.
It begs the question of whether or not being mint would be is less microphonic than the old/used ones.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on these issues.

http://photos.msn.com.sg/myfiles/fol...KmXHGAD793Qicp!!t88QdFnuAo4VYvsw$&trk=tcupview

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Can't access link through Netscape. As always, make sure you know who you are dealing with. Do they have LOTS of positive feedback for selling tubes? Is this "NOS" (New Old Stock) or are they used? How used are they? Are they a "matched pair" (this requires testing). You are essentially trusting the seller that
1. They are the tube he says they are
2. They are in the condition he says they are.
3. They are in fact an actual "matched pair".
4. These aren't reject tubes with high microphonics.

I've always been skeptical of buying tubes via e-bay, but that's me. I've never gone that route but others here have and have been happy.

I use the established, known dealers.

Mark

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 19
The early Sylvania 6SN7GT's had a midrange that simply wasn't as good as the later ones. On Audio Asylum, the 1952 version is considered legendary, with sound quality lessened after that, apparently to a change in manufacturing technique.

Ken-Rad VT-231's are stunning tubes, but there are several different versions. The one you want can have either dark or clear glass, but the plates are staggered. That is, one plate is mounted slightly in front of the other on the mica, and both are positioned at a diagonal, rather than parallel to the edge of the spacer.

There is some sort of log-in needed to see the pictures you posted. I couldn't get to them.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 19
All three pairs are fantastic tubes. Those are pictures of three of the best 6SN7's ever made, and you won't go wrong with any of them, as long as the source is honest.

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 19
You're definitely looking in the same places I've been looking. I spotted those this morning. Never heard them, though. Could be an interesting choice.

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 19
Yup, there is only one pair of those out there!!!
I am going easy on my search for now till my Micro Ztol arrives.
Just got my medication for my sickness ( LOL)
Cheers and thank you guys for being so supportive.
Chill off time.........

Nov 11, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 19
No offense intented, just curious. If one already has about the best tubes (according to reviews), and if these tubes improved sound quality tremedously, what's the point of tube roll'n?

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 19
Good question Mikeg!
Tubes change/color the flavor of sound reproduction.
For example I like Prog, Blues, Jazz and clasic rock. I may use a clear/clean tube for Prog or Jazz then a warm/slow/syrup like, tube for Blues.

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 19
I don't roll tubes for particular kinds of music, but rather for particular headphones. It's possible to use different tubes to maximize the performance of an amp for the headphone of choice. Other headphones might sound better with different tube sets, due to differing sonic character, or differing electrical characteristics.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 19
So what is your favourte tubes for your HD 600, Hirsch or anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back