"Bruno": Good or bad?
Aug 11, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

slytown

100+ Head-Fier
I liked it. Not as good as Borat, but still funny.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 44
^yes. I make a point to not see low-budget comedies in theatres.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 44
It was a decent movie. I had a few laughs and chuckles here and there. Very weird movie though... Overall more good than bad in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^yes. I make a point to not see low-budget comedies in theatres.

"low-budget?" Is that just another word for "crappy?"

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 44
I voted "bad." There were funny parts, but it doesn't compare to "Borat."

The difference is that Borat is a sympathetic character while Brüno isn't. A cheerful foreign guy who turns out to be cringe-worthy is hysterical. You want to like Borat, but he's awful. Brüno is a bit mean-spirited and never quite wins the audience over. They also went heavily for the gross out factor, misjudging the audience. While Brüno pushes the boundaries of film, it doesn't come anywhere close to pushing the boundaries of the Internet. No need to name particular shock sites, but the younger audience is pretty darn near unshockable in 2009. Instead, the film should have make Brüno more likeable and focused on that awkwardness, like in the hunter scene. That long moment of uncomfortable silence was the funniest part of the movie. If they had found similar scenes, then it could have been as much of a classic as "Borat" is.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 44
There were some parts that were very funny, but the overall satire was just gross. My friends thought it was funny. There were some petty outrageous moments for a film that big, but I just thought it was a big perverted mess, lol.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 44
Quite bad imo!
Borat was hilarious, while this one is more so-so...

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 44
I'll be the contrary one and say it was wonderful, maybe even better then Borat. plenty of my like-minded friends hated it though. the only part that really was "gross" was the over the top sex scenes in the beginning, but even those weren't that bad.

the fact is that homosexuality pushes more buttons then xenophobia. I found Bruno to be very likable, to the extent that he was truly unaware that other people might find his lifestyle objectionable, being as how he was so "sheltered" in the fashion industry for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back