Brothers in Vinyl
Oct 31, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #76 of 148
I wonder why Fred posted this vinyl thread in the amp forum...
wink.gif
Anyway, I first had a Technics SL5 (later upgraded with A-T t4p type cartridge), then a Thorens TD160Super with Grace 707 arm and Yamaha MC-505(?) cartridge (parted from it, because cd convenience won...), still got my Thorens TD280MkII (as cheaper replacement for occasional use - plus a new AT120E to replace the harsh cheapo Stanton...) and my stepfather's old Braun PS-550... I'm still curious about modern vinyl equipment, though. For example, I'd like to know how modern Duals like the CS455 and CS505-4 fare - as well as the new Clearaudio Emotion and the recently upgraded Technics SL1210 in version M5GE...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 31, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #77 of 148
I'm jumping into this thread late...

But, I got into vinyl in May with a Sumiko Pro-Ject 1.2 with an AT440ML cart and a Parasound PPH-100 preamp.

I love it, and I'm going to continue collecting.
biggrin.gif

There are some great used vinyl stores here in San Diego. I've found a lot of great stuff in like-new condition for VERY cheap.

The noise floor is higher compared to CD, but the sound is GREAT and the tactile feel of the LPs just puts it over the edge.

A fantastic and rewarding hobby.
280smile.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #78 of 148
Ahh, thread ressurection
biggrin.gif
Maybe all the folks who posted a long time ago could update their posts and let us know how their vinyl journey is going. I got into it about a year ago with a technics 1210 and a borrowed SL D2 to try mixing and to put all the old records I keep inheriting to use. Since then I've acquired a fairly decent B&O (when compared to the Technics, anyway) and am planning a long put off purchase of a Moth Alamo within the next few days which will receive a Shure V15 that I already own. With that I plan to build up the RB250 as budget allows and, again as budget allows, move it to a better table. I'm using the Little Rat Pre right now but I have a Bottlehead Seduction on order.

Oct 31, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #79 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I'm jumping into this thread late...

But, I got into vinyl in May with a Sumiko Pro-Ject 1.2 with an AT440ML cart and a Parasound PPH-100 preamp.

I love it, and I'm going to continue collecting.
biggrin.gif

Isn't that AT440ML cartridge great? I've never heard even a trace of inner groove distortion with well taken care of records.

It can be a bit bright sometimes tho... luckily my preamp has a nice treble control (shelves gently at just the right frequencies) and a "high filter" for the occasional recording that's just too much.

Nov 1, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #80 of 148
Well due to this board and Tuberollers threads on vinyl( I don't think he realizes it though since I always lurk) I have since gotten into vinyl. About 3 weeks ago I bought a MMF 2.1 turntable, I haven't touched a cd since. I have accumulated about 75 records in that short time and I am loving every minute of it.

Anyways what cartridge would you recommend for the MMF 2.1 in about the $75 price range?

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #81 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30
Well due to this board and Tuberollers threads on vinyl( I don't think he realizes it though since I always lurk) I have since gotten into vinyl. About 3 weeks ago I bought a MMF 2.1 turntable, I haven't touched a cd since. I have accumulated about 75 records in that short time and I am loving every minute of it.

Anyways what cartridge would you recommend for the MMF 2.1 in about the $75 price range?

Thanks.

If you can stretch to $100 and don't mind a little bright, I'd definitely recommend the Audio Technica 440ML (AT440ML) as a true bargain at that price.

I've heard a lot of cartridges in the $100 and under range (Grado Prestige Black, Shure M97xE, Stanton 500E MkII, Shure M92E, a few others), and none of them are even in the same league as the 440ML (in my opinion) in terms of tracking ability, sheer resolution, microdynamics, macrodynamics... this one just kills everything I've ever heard under $100.

The only issue -- it's a little bright. However, you won't find any cartridge under $100 that doesn't compromise in one area or another.

Nov 1, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #82 of 148
As of now I'm in the middle of resurrecting my vinyl replay system. A Roksan Xerxes, Tabriz tonearm, and Linn K18 MM Cartridge. Also at the moment I'm in the proccess of reviving a friends Linn LP12, after being quiescent for the past 6 years or so. I'd eventually get this off him to replace the xerxes (will be flogged off - anybody interested
wink.gif
).
The hands on experience of setting up and the pre listening ritual (putting on the record, cleaning it up and cueing it up) is very very nostalgic indeed. Only looking forward from now
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #83 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30

Thanks.

That could be another job for the AT120E.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 2, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #85 of 148
I have been using my Music Hall MMF-5 since early August - almost 3 months. But recently, I got fed up with its extremely low-riding Goldring cartridge: I had to raise the VTA very high (the pivot end noticeably higher than the cartridge end) just to avoid the rear bottom of the cartridge body hitting the vinyl - and then, the sound quality suffered greatly: It mistracked, skipped at times, and picked up a lot of deep-down crap from the grooves, not to mention that it sounded brighter than it should have been. If I had continued to operate this TT/cartridge combo any further, my precious vinyl would have been trashed sooner than expected.

I confirmed that it's the G1012GX cartridge that's at fault here - after I mounted a Grado Prestige ME+ mono cartridge (yep, that's the more expensive of the two mono cartridges in the Grado Prestige line) on the MMF-5's tonearm. This Grado cartridge came nowhere close to bottoming out, even with the pivot end set lower than the cartridge end. That was a week ago. But I couldn't use the MMF-5 at all, until today. That's because I broke the string for the anti-skating weight, and I couldn't use the TT at all without anti-skating. (A replacement anti-skating weight costs $5.) Now I'm playing my mono LPs on that MMF-5 (stereo LPs would be reproduced with mono sound, had I played them on my current setup). The ME+ actually got through the skips that the G1012GX had trouble with! (Put it this way, the ME+ got through without skipping the portions that the 1012GX had trouble with.)

Now that I'm stuck with mono playback for the time being, and I don't have any standard-mount stereo cartridges in my collection better than a Grado Prestige Red (which would have been a step down from the G1012GX in overall performance), my next cartridge purchase will be either a Grado Prestige Gold or a Grado Reference Platinum. I may even buy another AT440ML (I bought one, then returned it unopened, thinking that I wouldn't need it).

Nov 2, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #86 of 148
i've got a pretty entry level numark dj setup. it sounds pretty good to me though. not that i really care about my speaker setup. (i just use headphones on that to match beats)

i actually taught rizumu a little scratch technique. it was quite a sight.

Nov 3, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #87 of 148
i have a crappy philco truntable/cd/tape combo. it was inexpensive and i was oblivious to the world audiophilizm. im dying to get a good turntable, cause i have a bunch of 33's just waiting to be utilized. the're just chillin in a crate collecting dust. i hope to get one once i save up some money. who knows when that will be.

Nov 3, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #88 of 148
I bought a cheap Aiwa PX-E860 turntable few years ago. It's fully automatic and I enjoy ripping vinyl records to mp3's. I know what you're thinking - it's a big loss of quality. But I mostly have punk records which don't sound very good, so a good quality mp3 is just fine to listen to this kind of music...

Nov 4, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #89 of 148
New to the forum and been into vinyl for about a year collecting. Amazing to see i'm not the only one. Running my Harman Kardon T60 with a Shure M97XE. Standard phono pre amp on my pre. Looking for a new Phono pre because I want to master all my expensive LPs to 96/24 audio on my computer for backup and transport to my huge home theater in the other room.

HK T60 w/Shure
Gilmore Lite headphone amp
Sennheiser HD600
Philips DVD963SA
Sima 2001 pre amp
Signalcable interconnects
Stock headphone wire
frown.gif

Best new Vinyl has to be Audioslave and the stack of Van Halen I just picked up for $12.

May 22, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #90 of 148
I just bought my first table, a Dual 1209. I also got a grado green cartridge for it. Overall, it sounds a lot better than I would have expected for $120.
The next step is to build a bottlehead seduction and buy a lot more vinyl.
Eventually I want to get a Pro-Ject 1Xpression and pair it with a grado gold or platinum, and give the dual to my brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back