Brothers in Vinyl
Jun 24, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #121 of 148
Been a while since I've posted, but had to chime in on this one....

Colored (non black)Vinyl is no different from black vinyl from the same manufacturer. The vinyl is origianally a mostly transparent substance until dye or pigment is added to it. So even black vinyl is colored vinyl. If you can still see through it after pressing, it most likely was dyed (a liquid - think food coloring or ink) and if it isn't transparent it is most likely had pigment added (a solid - think paint powder). The Beatle's White Album is a pigment treatment I believe. I'm certian that the Blue Elvis albums had a dye treatment.

If you look a most of the colored album pressings you don't like, they are probably not from the same company/label as the black pressings of the same album you do like.

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

(on a side note, JVC, whose vinyl is considered above average, is the only company I know of that uses black dye instead of black pigment.)

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #122 of 148
Well I just entered the world of vinyl with a new rig on the way:

VPI Super Scoutmaster
Grado Statement
Ray Samuels XR-10B
VPI 16.5 Cleaner
Billy Bag's Phono Table

I'm really looking forward to the rig. My friend's have massive collections of LPs that are just dying to get cleaned and played. I only have about 50 LPs, but hopefully, that will be changing soon.

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #123 of 148
That's an intense setup. Wow. Do you want me to come over and setup your JMW for you
biggrin.gif
?

I have spent about 9 hours with the XR-10B, and it was 9 very happy hours.

Enjoy the experience.
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #124 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Well I just entered the world of vinyl with a new rig on the way:

VPI Super Scoutmaster
Grado Statement
Ray Samuels XR-10B
VPI 16.5 Cleaner
Billy Bag's Phono Table

I'm really looking forward to the rig. My friend's have massive collections of LPs that are just dying to get cleaned and played. I only have about 50 LPs, but hopefully, that will be changing soon.

Wow nice rig! Sounds very similar to what I did. Jumped in head first. I have even less lp's than you
biggrin.gif
I am still looking for a rack but may settle on an expansion for my desk which would the trick and cost me far far less (my table is a suspended table and the floor is concrete so the table is not nearly as important as for your non-suspended). How is the phono stage? Right now, I feel my phono stage is the weak link in my setup (Dynavector P-75...not really enjoying it)

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #125 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Wow nice rig! Sounds very similar to what I did. Jumped in head first. I have even less lp's than you
biggrin.gif
I am still looking for a rack but may settle on an expansion for my desk which would the trick and cost me far far less (my table is a suspended table and the floor is concrete so the table is not nearly as important as for your non-suspended). How is the phono stage? Right now, I feel my phono stage is the weak link in my setup (Dynavector P-75...not really enjoying it)

None of the gear has arrived yet, so I'm only anticipating at the moment. I have talked to 3 people who have had the time to listen to Ray's new phono satge. They all loved it.

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #126 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
None of the gear has arrived yet, so I'm only anticipating at the moment. I have talked to 3 people who have had the time to listen to Ray's new phono satge. They all loved it.

I am the fourth, and will say that Rays XR-10 is outstanding with both, my lowly mmf-5 and an VPI HRX.

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #127 of 148
How does it sound specifically? What other phonos are you familliar with? Is it a warm side of neutral? Overly tubey? Just slightly?

Jun 25, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #128 of 148
I've not had an opportunity to compare to much with the exception of a Herron phono stage. The XR-10 is a faster phono with less warmth than the the Herron. This is not unexpected as the Herron is a tube phono stage and the XR-10 is ss. Having said that, doesn't mean that the XR-10 is a cold ss phono, in fact, it is far from it. I have to add that I don't feel too qualified to give any serious opinions on the subject as my time with each of these phono stages was limited. I will say that my mmf-5 never sounded better than when it was connected to the XR-10.

Jun 25, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #129 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I've not had an opportunity to compare to much with the exception of a Herron phono stage. The XR-10 is a faster phono with less warmth than the the Herron. This is not unexpected as the Herron is a tube phono stage and the XR-10 is ss. Having said that, doesn't mean that the XR-10 is a cold ss phono, in fact, it is far from it. I have to add that I don't feel too qualified to give any serious opinions on the subject as my time with each of these phono stages was limited. I will say that my mmf-5 never sounded better than when it was connected to the XR-10.

I feel I have preemptively castrated my rig with the Dynavector P-75. Perhaps some juice from the likes of an XR-2 or 10 would do the trick? I need to know...cause my cd player is seriously laying waste to my tt.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #130 of 148
Quote:

I feel I have preemptively castrated my rig with the Dynavector P-75. Perhaps some juice from the likes of an XR-2 or 10 would do the trick? I need to know...cause my cd player is seriously laying waste to my tt.

That is unacceptable. That is not to say that cdp's can't sound great but with that tt of yours, I would expect a different result.

I've never heard the XR-2, but from all accounts it is supposed to a great phono stage. There may be one in my future as the XR-10 is a little out of my budget.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #131 of 148
Quote:

the XR2 is more than plenty and is right up there with the 10b, the only differences really are the options and switches to set capacitance, load, and gain on the 10B.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #132 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
the XR2 is more than plenty and is right up there with the 10b, the only differences really are the options and switches to set capacitance, load, and gain on the 10B.

Mmm, I like that. Can the XR2 do low MC?

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #133 of 148
Quote:

I know it can handle both mm and mc. I believe there is a switch that allows you to change the impedence (30, 50, 80, 100, 470) to match the cart. (I got this from the enjoythemusic review of the XR-2.

Jun 25, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #134 of 148
Quote:

Yup, sure can, its very customizable as well, you just have to open up the chassis and set the appropriate settings, Can handle MC or MM, with the various resistor settings all right there for you to set up with whatever your cart is.

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #135 of 148
I am running the XR-2 with a .3mv MC output Ruby. The differences that are major, are the complete silence you experience with the 10b, and a sense of smoothness that I can't explain. If you can afford it, then go for it. If you only have a grand to spend (like me), then I haven't heard a phonostage that comes close to the XR-2. I went from a PH-1 to a Tango to a Acoustech, to an XR-2. And until there is some serious competition, under $3K, this is where I'll stay. The Manley Steelhead, has never had any negative feedback, but it's $7k. Maybe if you had the HRX with all the thrills, then it would be worth jumping up to the Manley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back