Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Well I just entered the world of vinyl with a new rig on the way:

VPI Super Scoutmaster
Grado Statement
Ray Samuels XR-10B
VPI 16.5 Cleaner
Billy Bag's Phono Table

I'm really looking forward to the rig. My friend's have massive collections of LPs that are just dying to get cleaned and played. I only have about 50 LPs, but hopefully, that will be changing soon.

this is the panache post of the year..lol

"I am not really into vinyl at all so my entree level setup is this...."

lol I love you man!!! I love your Vinyl C--K!
(inside joke between recstar and I)

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #138 of 148

​I'm running a 43 year old Sony PS-4750 turntable and a 30 year old Shure V15V-MR cartridge. I also have a Shure M97xE cartridge, which I purchased recently to supplement the older cartridge. At any rate, using either cart, my LP's sound virtually indistinguishable from CD's on same material. I'm very satisfied. I don't know how "upgrading" would retrieve or deliver more from the groove.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #139 of 148

​I'm running a 43 year old Sony PS-4750 turntable and a 30 year old Shure V15V-MR cartridge. I also have a Shure M97xE cartridge, which I purchased recently to supplement the older cartridge. At any rate, using either cart, my LP's sound virtually indistinguishable from CD's on same material. I'm very satisfied. I don't know how "upgrading" would retrieve or deliver more from the groove.

If it ain't broke... I came across this table on my local CL for $100 and it was a close call to unseat my mmf 5.1.  Admittedly it was waaaaay underpriced with the Black Widow tonearm and V15 cart.  New styli are still available from a couple companies as well.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #141 of 148
Last time I had a turntable was in the early 80's as a little kid. Everything old is new again!

I been thinking about getting one now that it has gotten so easy to get records again on-line. Plus I live just a few minutes from a legendary vinyl store... next town over and all. Seems like a waste to live so close and never go there... 
wink.gif

I still have the 1st record I ever brought back in 1983! Sadly the rest of the records that my brother, sister and cousins had, some are worth a TON of money were all thrown out by them. urgh... best not to think about it. 

That being said, I understand there is a high start-up cost and I have never set-up a turntable before, so it is quite intimating.

How big of a learning curb is there?

Any and all advise is welcome!

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #142 of 148
Last time I had a turntable was in the early 80's as a little kid. Everything old is new again!

I been thinking about getting one now that it has gotten so easy to get records again on-line. Plus I live just a few minutes from a legendary vinyl store... next town over and all. Seems like a waste to live so close and never go there... :wink:  

I still have the 1st record I ever brought back in 1983! Sadly the rest of the records that my brother, sister and cousins had, some are worth a TON of money were all thrown out by them. urgh... best not to think about it. 

That being said, I understand there is a high start-up cost and I have never set-up a turntable before, so it is quite intimating.

How big of a learning curb is there?

Any and all advise is welcome!

You wont regret going for a TT.You dont need to spend a fortune,although the more you spend the better.There are many used British,Japanese,etc. decks around,plenty of new designs as well.The curve depends on the setup you buy,my Biotracer X-800 didnt need any adjustments.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #143 of 148
The turntable today is not complete without a means to get the music to the computer. I use a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD Premium external sound card to interface; and, I use Roxio's Easy LP to Mp3 editing software to create CDs and WAV files.

May 5, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #146 of 148
This is an older pix of my vinyl rig. VPI Aries 2 turntable (used) and a Prima Luna preamp.
The Oppo HA-1 headphone amp has been gone for a while.
6F1BA8FB-C293-48FA-95CF-1688575590C5_zpsehf9xwan.jpg

My Amp is a Cary Audio C280 V12 like this one. (I "borrowed" this pix since I don't have a good one of my one)
CARYAUDIOV12.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #147 of 148
This is an older pix of my vinyl rig. VPI Aries 2 turntable (used) and a Prima Luna preamp.
The Oppo HA-1 headphone amp has been gone for a while.
6F1BA8FB-C293-48FA-95CF-1688575590C5_zpsehf9xwan.jpg

My Amp is a Cary Audio C280 V12 like this one. (I "borrowed" this pix since I don't have a good one of my one)
CARYAUDIOV12.jpg

Take notes kids, 'cause T-Bone don't F-around! Seriously though, gorgeous stuff!

May 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #148 of 148
Take notes kids, 'cause T-Bone don't F-around! Seriously though, gorgeous stuff!
Thanks! There are some real used bargains out there. This whole rig is pre-loved except for the cabling and phono cartridge. My next addition to this system will probably be a Woo Audio headphone tube amp.
I want to keep the vinyl rig all tube based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back