Brothers in Vinyl
May 15, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 148
Being one of Tube's extremely satisfied customers, he knows what I have. But for what it's worth, a Thorens TD 190. I am rediscovering some of my old music that I cannot find on CD. Life is good.

May 15, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 148
I'm currently using an Ariston RD-11s with Grado Laboratory Standard tone arm, Dynavector 10x Gold cartridge into Electrocompaniet Pre I (the preamp doesn't have a reduced gain setting for high output cartridges...you have to remove a board to play MM's).

Alas, the Ariston is starting to show speed issues that aren't belt related. It's old enough so that I don't really want to put any repair money into it, so a new table may be happening at some point...but which one? Tough judgement call here. I don't listen to anywhere near enough vinyl these days to justify a major table purchase, despite my large number of LP's. I've also got a Music Hall MMF 2.1 (modded with Grace 707 arm), which is decent but a major downgrade from what I'm used to. Dilemma...
tongue.gif

May 15, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 148
I have a Systemdeck IIXE/900 with a Rega RB250 (Origin Live structural mod. and Incognito arm rewire) and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt a.
Quote:

I just sold my Systemdek IIx900 to fund the purchase of a Nottingham Analogue Interspace to go with my rewired RB300 and Dynavector DV20X-H. I don't even buy CDs any more..

insanefred, I am just curious about how much difference the turntable upgrade made?

May 15, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #20 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Congrats, tanfenton.....That set-up is nothing to be humble about!

wink.gif

Rick,

I've been bracing myself for what is to come. My Blue Notes can't wait to see some playing time!

NGF

May 15, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by tanfenton

Rick,

I've been bracing myself for what is to come. My Blue Notes can't wait to see some playing time!

NGF

LOL...Enjoy, dude!.......
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 148
I've been doing vinyl continuously for 25 years (what a geezer!). I've got a Rotel RP900, which is a clone of a Rega P2. This is the weak link in my system--I've got to stop dumping my savings into headphone stuff and upgrade!

What do you carry, Tuberoller?

I think I want a upper mid-fi table with a very simple suspension--I'm too clumsy to mess with suspensions and trick cartridges. P25, or a Basis, or Clearaudio, etc. I like the description of the Acoustic Signature Final Tool, but haven't seen one. What do you recommend in the "up to 2000" range?

May 15, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #23 of 148
The amazing thing is how many people are actively involved in this "old, obsolete" technology.

May 16, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 148
I'd love to get a new table to replace my Linn, but can't afford the ones I like that would be a real improvement -- hence the Rockport thing I posted above. But if you haven't read the Stereophile review of that awesome creation, check it out on the Stereophile website archive.

May 16, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 148
I am currently using an extra minty Denon DP-62L and a Shure V15 RS. Unfortunately I have been without a phono amp for a couple months. As soon as the Bottlehead Seduction phono amp kit is released this summer I will be whole again, or "Back in Black".

Vinyl Rules!
cool.gif

May 16, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 148
I've just discovered the vinyl collection in my school's library and unfortunately, that's all I have done so far. I can't find a library turntable around and I really want to check out analog sound.

So I've done the ebay thing, and I see good deals (?) but since I'm:
a) clueless about turntables in general; and
b) wary of ebay's turntables (usually unstated shipping costs that can go from $30-50),
I haven't gotten far in that venture. I see Audio Technicas that are basic and includes all you really need to get started...and most importantly, they're under $100.

I hear that Music Hall has a good starter turntable but the price is above my budget. And I can probably get one used from ebay but I won't be able to check it out (even if I knew how).

Are there affordable beginner turntables available for under $100? Any advice appreciated.

PS. This would be my summer project. So I plan to go to SF and check out used stores, so if you know any good particular place for turntables near there, that would help me out lots.

May 16, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #27 of 148
Pianoblack,

try some of the mid eighties Dual tables from the CS line or a Denon from the DP-20...series.Sony and Pioneer made some good tables as well.If you need any help or you really want to find a good table cheap pm me,I have a few good, used tables that you could afford.Those Audio technica tables are'nt bad but parts are non-existent and they are difficult to find in excellent condition.If you get a bead on a table pm me as well and maybe i can offer some advice.

May 16, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 148
i have a sota nova, which has a pump to suck the record down for a quieter background. i just had to send it in for fixing and upgrading, which meant a month or two using a used kenwood tt, which was quite nice, considering the difference in price. in my opinion, only vinyl gives music; digital just reminds you of music! not trying to start anything, just giving my feelings after 25 of vinyl. nothing better than to put on any of haydn's symphonies, preferably played by dorati, and relaxing and enjoying his sense of humour and humanity.

May 16, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #29 of 148
Quote:

Originally posted by cyclingasronomer
i have a sota nova, which has a pump to suck the record down for a quieter background. i just had to send it in for fixing and upgrading, which meant a month or two using a used kenwood tt, which was quite nice, considering the difference in price. in my opinion, only vinyl gives music; digital just reminds you of music! not trying to start anything, just giving my feelings after 25 of vinyl. nothing better than to put on any of haydn's symphonies, preferably played by dorati, and relaxing and enjoying his sense of humour and humanity.

I live very near the Sota factory and recently went by to check the place out.I have a Sota record cleaner that needed some work.Those guys are real arists,you should see some of the amazing custom work they do.they also have a cool listening room and allowed me to demo a Vacuum table.That is so cool.Maybe when I go back to return the table I can take some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back